Forums are back in action! ×

I'm pony boy and I have been a forum member since 4/4. This week I started using the beginning bodyweight workout routine and so far I'm very encouraged. 

Both my wrists have been fused so movements like push ups are done on my knuckles. 4 lower vertebrae in my back are fused and painful at times. I also have implants holding my right foot and ankle together. While recovering from all of this I became addicted to root beer floats, about 4 a day. Last year I cleaned up my diet with some success but hadn't done any training. About 20 pounds are keeping me at around 25% body fat. My goal is to go from a 33 to a 30 inch waist. I want to stop wearing sweats and fit into my old pants again. I'm hoping that the bodyweight workouts will get me there.

Welcome Pony Boy. Sounds like your poor body has been through the ringer. Have you looked into metabolic resistance training (MRT)? It's like high intensity interval training (HIIT), but instead of doing cardio intervals, you do weight workouts (free weights or body weight), but keep the rest between sets minimal to keep your heart rate high. Something to think about. Much luck to you. I hear those old pants calling your name.....

=)

Laurie

Ouch!  Wtf did you do to yourself?

I have a heap of metal in me too, two broken femurs, radius, ulner, L5, and 6 breaks in my pelvis.  The clue to how I did mine is in my name, I was wondering if the same was true for you?  Horse riding is just as dangerous after all, as say... motorcycling? :D 

Im guessing that you're also an iPhone or iPad user too.  You can't copy and paste anything without the font size going all wonky, lol!  And I've still never figured out how to insert pics into posts from my phone, grrrrr!

If you have any doubts about how successful body weight exercises can be then check out Waldo's site Strength Unbound, his physique is purely from body weight exercises.  His transformation is quite impressive. 

If you need any help navigating the site then just shout. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hahaha!  I'm so sorry, when I said "you can't copy and paste" I was meaning the generic "you" not you specifically.  I know because it does it to me all the time, it's a total PITA. :D 

I read about your accident in someone else's thread after asking yesterday.  That's so shit. :(  Mine was someone not paying attention too.  She turned right, cutting a junction and swinging across into my lane giving me no time to do anything about it.  It was a head on with my bike embedded in the front of her car and me thrown down the road (via her windscreen).  I'm still hoping to get back in a bike some day. 

Have you thought about joining in the next challenge when it starts on Sunday?

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

16 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Hahaha!  I'm so sorry, when I said "you can't copy and paste" I was meaning the generic "you" not you specifically.  I know because it does it to me all the time, it's a total PITA. :D 

I read about your accident in someone else's thread after asking yesterday.  That's so shit. :(  Mine was someone not paying attention too.  She turned right, cutting a junction and swinging across into my lane giving me no time to do anything about it.  It was a head on with my bike embedded in the front of her car and me thrown down the road (via her windscreen).  I'm still hoping to get back in a bike some day. 

Have you thought about joining in the next challenge when it starts on Sunday?

Lose a MGuzzi in a accident? That sucks. Such a fine machine. I love the old ones. You'll be back again.

They can't keep a true rider down. I'm back on the road again. I have to use a foot clutch with a tank shifter now so I'm riding a 1958 Panhead. I love it.

I will keep an eye out for the challenge. It sounds cool. You bet I'll be there. 

I'm glad you're alive and able to write about your experience.  

• Like 1

I'm riding a 1958 Panhead...

Oooh, nice! 

Here is the info all about the challenges, though tbh that makes it sound a little more complicated than it really is.  Basically you set yourself 3 diet/fitness goals and an optional Life goal (read a new book, clear X amount off your debt, take your wife out for dinner, ask your boss for a raise etc) that you want to complete over the course of the 4 weeks.  If you have done the Create Your Own Character thingy then these will probably be goals that help you towards your Epic Quest, and you assign yourself XP for each goal you successfully complete.  

If you're not into all that role play stuff and you just want to do it as normal then you simply decide how you're going to score your progress at the end of each week/the challenge.  For example, if you were going to try and do something every day (like drink Xpts of water) then you would score yourself out of 7 at the end of the week.  You might have 6+/7 = A,  5/7 = B,  4/7 = C etc.  This is a really important bit that most newbies skip but it can make the difference between you thinking "Bugger it, I've already failed so I might as well just quit now!" and "Crap, I only got a C this week, I'd better try harder next week."

The challenge officially starts on Sunday so the forum should open any day now for people to start their write up.  Just keep an eye on the 4 Week Challenge subforum for when the "Current Challenge" thread changes dates to April 23rd - May 20th

Scrap that!  I've just seen that they now have a "Next Challenge" thread, which they will change over to being "Current Challenge" any day now.  Which means you can write your challenge right now, if you wanted to. ;)