Forums are back in action! ×

Tough mudders, etc. - Another question

So, I saw the other thread on the running in the tough mudders and warrior dashes and have my own set of different questions.

My trainer asked me to consider joining a team for the civilian military combine. I've never done anything like this and dudes, I'm old. I think I could handle the pit (if I'm not laughing too hard, which will happen because I'll mess something up, miss a rep and laugh). But I'm terrified of the obstacles and mountain running.

What are the obstacles really like? Are they really high off the ground? Are they impossible? Will I die? The people on the video look like they are dying.

How long do you have to finish?

It honestly looks like fun but I don't want to drag a team down because I can't do the obstacles. I just have no idea what to expect.

Trainer has faith.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

In looking over it a bit more, you can complete individually if you really want to. That way your "fear" of bringing a team down is gone. But really, if you do it with a group of friends, who cares (unless of course you have a the friend that has to win everything). I'm doing Tough Mudder with a group of 12 guys. I'll probably be one of the slower ones, but it's about finishing the Tough Mudder, not about what time you get. Hence why I like that they don't even time you.

The CMC seems interesting. It looks like it's a 5-7 mile race after the PIT. The obstacles don't look too tough (had to go to a specific event page and go to the bottom).

http://www.civilianmilitarycombine.com/events/tri-state/

Really, what's the worst that happens, you have to drop out? That's not bad. It just shows you need to push a little harder to get where you want to be.

I've done Tough Mudder. Are you asking about that? Or the Military Combine? Cause I haven't done that.

specifically the combine but I figured more folks have done mudders. Some of the obstacles are the same. So I'm really looking for an obstacle overview, ideas on training for obstacles, wondering if this will kill me....

fyi, current training schedule is typically 2 days heavy lifting, 2-3 days functional fitness (sometimes swap with 1 day cardio either HIIT or long slow slog), 1 day boot camp (functional fitness mostly), 1 day vinyasa yoga.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Yeah, I hike a lot so I know how hard mountains can be (not sure about my trainer - it's on the list of things to talk about). I think it's run, obstacle, run, obstacle, etc.

I AM going the distance