Forums are back in action! ×

It's Great To Be A Man

Maybe I'm breaking a guy code or most of you aren't parents or married, but yeah, I'm kinda surprised at what I'm reading...what about being a good husband and father? Seriously, I can't wait for the day I get to be both... :dispirited:

You missed my post about that... I said it, more or less.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Maybe I'm breaking a guy code or most of you aren't parents or married, but yeah, I'm kinda surprised at what I'm reading...what about being a good husband and father? Seriously, I can't wait for the day I get to be both... :dispirited:

Awesome point. I'm nowhere near being a dad but I'm already excited to be an awesome, involved one.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I definitely want kids, I seem to be able to handle them well. And since I've got my nutritional, physiological and exercise-technical information straight, they'll never have to listen to broscience. :D

However, it's way too early right now. :P

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Ok, I've been lurking on this thread but I have to de-lurk to say that it really touches my heart how many guys are actually looking forward to becoming dads and husbands some day. Truly heartwarming!

*Back to lurking*

Even some of us young'uns do. Just need to wait about 15-20 years though.

My life. My dreams.

http://dreambigsquatbigger.blogspot.com Hey! I'm actually updating this thing now

Hey this whole losing weight and getting in shape thing was prompted by my little boy. I want to be a dad he's proud of and someone that can keep up with any physical activity he wants to do. Assuming his personality doesn't radically change, being in tip top shape is going to be quite important, kid has a lot of get up and go.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Hey this whole losing weight and getting in shape thing was prompted by my little boy. I want to be a dad he's proud of and someone that can keep up with any physical activity he wants to do. Assuming his personality doesn't radically change, being in tip top shape is going to be quite important, kid has a lot of get up and go.

That's seriously great, dude. Many props to you, sir.

I'm with Loren, That's Amazing Man! You're a true Bro, willing to be the example for your kid, That's what I would like to do, I don't have a wife, nor kids, but whenever I'm with my nieces, I look after them and take care of them as if they're my own. I can honestly say I can be a good father right now, but I'm definitely not ready for anything of that gravity.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

You missed my post about that... I said it, more or less.

I saw it, that's what inspired me to say something :) Glad to see how many guys are looking forward to it.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

My BLOG

MY NF Blog

Whilst it was a circumstance i didn't exactly choose, or put any forethought into before kids. You want to be able to grow up with your kids, still be active enough to roughouse with them when they are older. Not force them to stick you in a retirement village when they're only 20...

That is a pro for having kids young.

Con, unless you are a maestro at time management and have a good family/friend network, cave time is harder to come by.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

I'm not really focused on the 'being a dad' part of manhood yet, since I still have the whole 'Get through College and then get a job' part. Not that you can't do both, but without a girlfriend/wife (I'd hope it was the latter), the only way to get a child would be adoption, and while I have no issues with adoption, it's not something I would say yes to until I have a steady job.

So... I just have considered the concept of it a little to foreign to me at the moment. ^.^

I wasn't focused on it, either... until my medically-unable-to-have-kids* girlfriend got pregnant when I was 19. I kinda started getting focused on it. :)

* Seriously, her doctor was like "Huh... that's not supposed to happen."

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Hah, I'd love to be a dad =) but I gotta meet a woman first. Being a role model of awesomeness for children would be an incredible thing for me. Especially since my own father and step father did such a bad job. I want to raise some kids so that when I leave them I leave behind a generation that'll be able to deal with the problems of the future confidently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'm also in the boat of needing to meet a woman before thinking about kids (and even then, also thinking about having college loans paid off, a few promotions at the job to have financial security, ect).

Anyway, the thing I like most about being a man is this how upfront confrontations between friends are.

Anyway, the thing I like most about being a man is this how upfront confrontations between friends are.

That's true... For Example:

Bro#1-"Dude, that was wrong man"

Bro#2-"My Bad dude, I didn't know"

Bro#1-"You really didn't know? For Reals, Bro?"

Bro#2-"Yeah, for reals, my bad bro"

Bro#1 stares at Bro#2 for verification of the truth and sincerity in his response...

Bro#1-"It's cool bro."

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

This is so true. Plus also I have to make sure that I have the upper and lower body strength to make Junior(s) fly through the air before hitting the water. Gotta make sure I'm stronger once he hits kindergarten and up to do this. Plus also it's nice to have an excuse to do cardio. Just running for fitness is boring. Playing 'chase' and 'race' is so much more fun.

Agreed. I think it bothered my dad that he couldn't be more active in my life as he lost his leg in a construction accident when he was 20. Don't get me wrong. My dad still kicks ass and given his limited mobility with his prosthetic, he did pretty damn well at being active with me. But I've thought about it a lot more as I've grown up that if I ever had kids I would want to be able to chase them down when I'm 40, 50, 60, and god-willing, even 70 and above. So at little bit of elbow grease now to make sure everything is working properly is well worth it to be able to still use elbow grease 30 years from now.

It is interesting how much more into having kids the mens forum is than the womens.....

I've wanted kids strongly since college. Getting used to the grind of adult working life only made it stronger, kids become the vessel of hopes and dreams that "when I grow up" used to be, whether you have them already or want them.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Same here! I started getting fit a few months after my daughter was born, partly just for me but also because I want to be a +ve role model. I figure the more runs in the jog stroller and hikes in the carrier she takes now, the better. I really want to give her the gift of being fit and active, as well as instill an appreciation for outdoors. As opposed to the behaviour I was modeling before - basically smoking, eating pizza and wasting my life...

EDIT: Also worth noting that my daughter is pretty much like the UPS guy on MadTV. It's going to be hard to keep up with her as she gets older...

Hah, I'd love to be a dad =) but I gotta meet a woman first. Being a role model of awesomeness for children would be an incredible thing for me. Especially since my own father and step father did such a bad job. I want to raise some kids so that when I leave them I leave behind a generation that'll be able to deal with the problems of the future confidently.

This is so much harder to do than you might imagine. Although I think my parents did a great job of raising me, in their own way, I SWORE that I would never be like them and that I wouldn't raise my own kids in the same manner. But when pressed (i.e. in the real world, struggling to balance family, job, commute, house, financial stress, etc.) I ended up basically turning into my parents. It's amazing how much you unwittingly model the behavior your were exposed to when young... That said, kudos for wanting better for your own kids - if/when you have them. As long as you make this a priority when the time comes, you can and will succeed. I know because my dad had a pretty rought childhood, and he managed to avoid perpetuating almost all of the bad stuff that he went through.

Agreed. I think it bothered my dad that he couldn't be more active in my life as he lost his leg in a construction accident when he was 20. Don't get me wrong. My dad still kicks ass and given his limited mobility with his prosthetic, he did pretty damn well at being active with me. But I've thought about it a lot more as I've grown up that if I ever had kids I would want to be able to chase them down when I'm 40, 50, 60, and god-willing, even 70 and above. So at little bit of elbow grease now to make sure everything is working properly is well worth it to be able to still use elbow grease 30 years from now.

I feel really lucky where this is concerned. My dad was pushing 40 when I was born, so I was definitely at risk for having an old man dad. Fortunately he has the spirit of a 1 year old labrador retriever when if comes to being active, and he's still out there crushing it (in his own special way) at almost 70. Seriously, he curls 6 days a week all winter, sometimes more than once a day, and golfs almost as much in the summer. Pretty inspiring.

It is interesting how much more into having kids the mens forum is than the womens......

I think that's because we're in two camps: 1) Already done having kids...I LOVE being a mom, but I've got five. I'm done, even though I adore babies!

2) Not ready to have kids yet.

We don't seem to have a lot of ladies in between...maybe they're all on the parenting boards somewhere?

There's also something to be said about when in a woman's life we tend to get serious about our weight and health. It tends to be after the kids are big enough to not be constant work, or before we have kids and life gets sort of derailed those first few years.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Guest Gemeaux
It is interesting how much more into having kids the mens forum is than the womens.....

I've wanted kids strongly since college. Getting used to the grind of adult working life only made it stronger, kids become the vessel of hopes and dreams that "when I grow up" used to be, whether you have them already or want them.

I work with children , and I can't wait to have some of my own . Just need to meet their father now :P

It's really nice seeing men who can't wait to have kids though .

I think that's because we're in two camps: 1) Already done having kids...I LOVE being a mom, but I've got five. I'm done, even though I adore babies!

2) Not ready to have kids yet.

We don't seem to have a lot of ladies in between...maybe they're all on the parenting boards somewhere?

There's also something to be said about when in a woman's life we tend to get serious about our weight and health. It tends to be after the kids are big enough to not be constant work, or before we have kids and life gets sort of derailed those first few years.

Five little monsters? That's insane. I have one right now (with another on the way) and I'm pretty much beside myself. My hat is off to you, madame, for managing a large brood AND getting fit!

EDIT: Also worth noting that my daughter is pretty much like the UPS guy on MadTV. It's going to be hard to keep up with her as she gets older...

My son has an absolutely nonstop motor and has no fear of hurting himself (not really a good thing). He's still a shaky walker, but that doesn't stop him from trying to run (and invariably faceplanting after a few steps). Climbing is his new favorite game and he can now do table pullups (which means pretty much much anywhere in the house is explorable, at least he can't do muscle ups yet and get on the table). When we are amongst other kids his age, he's always the most active one. I'm pretty sure that he's going to be a crazy bouncing off the wall little boy here soon, dad is going to need to be in insane shape to keep up.

currently cutting

don't panic!

My son has an absolutely nonstop motor and has no fear of hurting himself (not really a good thing). He's still a shaky walker, but that doesn't stop him from trying to run (and invariably faceplanting after a few steps). Climbing is his new favorite game and he can now do table pullups (which means pretty much much anywhere in the house is explorable, at least he can't do muscle ups yet and get on the table). When we are amongst other kids his age, he's always the most active one. I'm pretty sure that he's going to be a crazy bouncing off the wall little boy here soon

How old is your little guy? From the sounds of things, you're going to be hiding a lot of stuff on top of the fridge....

My daughter is 21+ months right now - but she's been walking since about 8 months and pretty much skipped crawling. Suffice it to say, she's a bit of a speed demon. Also, I can relate to having the busiest kid out there. Let's just say we've come pretty close to getting kicked out of library club...

How old is your little guy? From the sounds of things, you're going to be hiding a lot of stuff on top of the fridge....

My daughter is 21+ months right now - but she's been walking since about 8 months and pretty much skipped crawling. Suffice it to say, she's a bit of a speed demon. Also, I can relate to having the busiest kid out there. Let's just say we've come pretty close to getting kicked out of library club...

Just turned 1.

He was a little later to regular crawl and walk than he could have been. He started rolling from point a to b at about 4 months, then quickly picked up this goofy butterfly stroke crawl that looked ridiculously tiring, but he became such a pro at it that it took him a while to figure out usual crawling (no need to). He's been taking unsupported steps since 10 mo, but really didn't start using it in lieu of crawling here until very recently, he was such a fast crawler. We haven't been doing the library thing yet, it is incompatible with his nap schedule, but we go to mommy and me type classes to interact with others his age. He is pretty much the antithesis of the kids whose parents are always trying to convince to move.

I didn't expect doing a pullup to be something they learned so young. Seeing his head up above the table and feet dangling in the air was quite a lolwut? moment.

currently cutting

don't panic!