Forums are back in action! ×

I want you!...to help me please :)

Hi everyone!

I'm a bit ashamed to say this but I've been following the nerd fitness from 4 years now and only now decided to reach out.

First I have to say that 4 years ago NerdFitness was VERY important to me. All the philosophy being the messages and the motivation was rally life changing at the time. (Still remember the hard hat post that was so much inspiring for me!)
4 years ago I had some little health issues so I decided that I needed to have an healthier life. 
I ended my relationship at the time (it wasn't healthy at all), I changed my job, I started to change my eating habits and thanks to nerdfitness I decided to try a gym for the first time. I can say it changed my life.

So, why reaching out now?
Well, in this 4 years I've been having this cycles where I stay 3 months really motivated and then I have something going on and step back for a month...this makes all my gains in the gym go away, my strength decreases a bit again (I do mostly weightlifting).
And now I see myself in one of those times where I'm losing my motivation...I've been doing this alone all this time, and sometimes people don't really understand and make me question my motivations.

I hope to find supportive people that understand that it's not about the looks, it's not about getting everything perfect. It's just about feeling healthy and good with ourselves.

I think I'll be opening a Daily Battle Log :)

BTW,

my name's Ana, I'm 28 from Lisbon, Portugal I work in IT. My main goal is to get to a healthy weight (I've been a bit underweight all my life) and get strong!

• Like 1

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Motivation is a tough one -- super unreliable. Actually, your four month cycle sounds far more reliable than most people's motivation bucket. 

Steve wrote a motivation post that basically says "just don't" -- point being, generally, discipline is superior to motivation in terms of long-term practice and gains. If it works for you it works, but if not, you always have the option of trying a different approach. (Of course, as for how you develop discipline, especially when you're not motivated to begin with...)

Have you thought much about why/where your motivation goes? If it's so regular, is it possible it's related to something? External, like the changing seasons, or internal, like a tolerance for the gym setting that's running out? If you can figure out what's happening there, it might help you figure out how to avoid the problem or overcome it. 

Anyway, like I said, good luck and welcome! Let us know how your quest goes. :) We're cheering for you!

wow thank you so much!

You are so right!

I've already thought about the reasons behind the cycles, and I do try to keep my routine at a minimum level when I begin to feel off (like ALWAYS doing my meal preps).

And yes it is all about what you said, consistency! It has been like a ladder, taking small steps at a time and adding up.

I think my main reason to have this cycles is not having a support group, or at least some kind of gym buddy. 

It's like I'm conquering all those things and have no one to share with. Of course I stay happy for that, but most of the people don't get why we do certain things (like not eating cookies all the time just because they offer it...) and it's motivating when someone else is also going through a transformation. 

Thanks again!

I will follow your quest as well! :D