Forums are back in action! ×

Personal trainer certification

I don't have much advice on how to be a PT, but I can talk from my experience of having one for almost a year now. My trainer rarely has me on a machine and always changes up my workouts. Someone else said it, but it is important to be doing hard reps of 8 with clients. Trainer Rob always made sure that super set were never too easy.

It helps that we're both in college and have a lot to talk about. Being personable seems to help. Before I started training I had never gone to the weight room and did cardio. Now I go to the gym and lift on my own and feel great. Even when times got tough for me (and him) he made sure I stuck with it and got stronger. I think to be a good PT you really have to show you care.

P.S. I looovvveee your (A)vatar! Korra is the best.

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

I think TurtleRunner gave very good advice.

I don't have much time but let me add this as my friend Dave P likes to say "Qualified not Certified." This simply means all that a cert. or diploma means is that you went through the steps to gain a basic knowledge of your craft. You need experience and lot's of it try to team up as an intern with a more experienced trainer or try a studio that will teach you and allow you to train as you learn. There is a lot of information out there but you need to shift through it all and find out what's best for you and your client.

I've been doing this for over 25 years I wish I knew then what I know now. I have a degree and a ton of certs but maybe I would have specialized if I were younger? Find a nitch and exploit that you can be the best trainer in the world but if you don't know enough about business another trainer is gonna be eating your lunch even if he/she is not as good as you are.

Just talk to as many people as you can get a lot of view points and try to gain as much experience as possible. Someones health is in your hands and that is a big responsibility you need to respect that.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2