Forums are back in action! ×

Do you climb?

Wasnt sure white guild to post this in but does anyone climb? What grade are you? I clinb at the Castle in london and they (oddly) use a french grade so I'm a 5+ there! Going to try some bouldering during the week too :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Guest Tigger

I love climbing, but there's not a good wall near my college!

The best I've done is 5.9, but that was two years ago. Bouldering is fun, but way harder. I wasn't very good at it because my upper body is weak, but I'm slowly changing that XD

EDIT: In my gym the walls are rated from 5.0-->5.9, then they start increasing in quarters so 5.10a, 5.10b, etc. up to 5.12d at the most difficult.

I used to climb, but haven't in a very very long time. My middle school gym had a wall so I took elective classes in it as often as possible. I don't remember what grade I could do, but probably not very high. I haven't climbed in probably 10+ years though. I would love to get back into it.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

I climb every week, sometimes twice a week. I'm not exactly sure how the grades here compare to other systems, but I lead climb a solid 6/6+. So in terms of difficulty: longer, overhanging routes, and structure mainly (not all at the same time). I don't really top rope climb, but when I do, routes in the 7 range. I've just started climbing outdoors, which I love, but it is completely different from hall climbing and in my opinion, significantly more challenging because there aren't necessarily "clean" routes you can follow.

I really like to boulder. It's definitely "harder" than traditional sport climbing because it's a lot more dynamic and can be a lot harder since it's shorter. You also really have to think well.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

i boulder every now and then (stopped for a while due to injury but getting back into it) and i can't really find time to get taught how to use the ropes due to my shift pattern (i'll do it eventually) but bouldering's pretty damn good where i go (Rockcity in Hull) they've even got a wall that's made of formed fibreglass that looks like rock

North American climbs are ranked/rated on using YDS (Yosemite Decimal System), this is the one that has a 5. in front of everything (e.g.- 5.10) and is usually subdivided using an a/b/c/d notation as well (e.g. - 5.10b). The system is a bit funny, but as the sport has grown over the past few decades the need to more accurately rate climbs created the additions.

Europeans have a couple different systems for rating climbs, and bouldering has it's own grading system as well.

climbing-grades.gif

I've climbed for 10+years (although not much in the past few years), and absolutely love it.

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

I used to climb quite a bit in high school (they had a great outdoors program). At my best I struggled through a 5.11a, and have done a multi-pitch 5.9 climb (now that was fun). Used to love bouldering too since I didn't have a rope and anchoring gear.

Fell off the climbing wagon in college since school took a priority and I lived out in flat West Texas.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle