Forums are back in action! ×

Planet Fitness vs. Snap Fitness

So I'm going home for the summer and I want to sign up for a gym. I've heard really terrible things about Planet Fitness ["Lunk alarm," no signs of exertion allowed, etc.], so I was wondering if Snap is better. Does anyone have any experience? [i know they're probably both bad, but I'm not really one for working out at home.] Thoughts?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Skinny girls look good in clothes. Fit girls look good naked."

[>.<]

I don't know about Snap, but I have a membership at Anytime which is similar (storefront, 24 hour access, etc). I've been in 3 gyms so far, and they are all a bit different. The one today had the best weight setup, but a no grunting sign. So why bother with 2 squat racks?? I grunted anyway... I'm only here til Wednesday.

Moral, visit not only the one you are most likely to use, but also some others in the chain as well if they are around. Also check the contract of course.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I’ve been going to Snap Fitness since the New Year. I’m cancelling my membership in a couple of weeks because I will be gone for the summer and when I get back home I don’t think I’ll renew my membership and instead go back to my university’s gym.

I’ll give you my impressions on Snap. The most appealing feature of the gym for myself was that it was open 24/7 which was great for me because I like to work out in the middle of the night. There are no stupid “lunk alarm” rules or anything.

However, I don’t like the fact that the gym facility is particularly small. If I go in the middle of the night it’s not usually an issue but if I go during the day at peak hours in the evening it’s often too cramped to get into the weights area comfortably.

There’s also no squat rack, only a smith machine. I’ve just been doing dumbbell squats but I eventually want to go to a gym that has an actual squat rack.

Anyway, I hope this helps,

Cheers

Rippetoe was once asked whether he'd choose to lift in running shoes, or barefoot. His answer?

"That is like asking me to choose between stabbing myself in the eye with a fork or burning the roof of my mouth with extremely hot pizza. Can't we just avoid both?"

Kinda applies here.

There are no other options? Not even a YMCA, or a school gym or some such? Honestly, I'm not sure either of those places would have squat racks, they'd almost certainly not have cages, and they usually frown upon picking weights off the floor (well, moreso the putting them down part).

A gym in which you cannot squat is scarcely a gym at all. Doing anything is better than nothing, of course, and if the only way you'll do anything is via one of those places, by all means go for it. But I'd look around some more, as some pretty decent facilities can often be tucked away in places that go unnoticed. They'll tend to be lo-to-no frills, but that's really all you need.

Good luck!

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I go to Snap Fitness and the main drawbacks are the size (it's small and gets crowded easily), no lockers/showers, no squat rack, and no bench press rack. I have showers at home and work, so that takes care of that for me, and just do hack squats and dumbbell presses for the latter issues. I have a gym across the hall from me at work, I think I'm going to cycle that into my week for squats and benches, but I kind of have to go to Snap a few days a week because my fiancee will not go without me (it's a togetherness thing or something....).

There are other better gyms less than 30 mins from me, but Snap is less than a mile from my place, and on my commute route, so it's where I go.

2/13/12

Starting Primal and free weights

10/02/12

Starting LeanGains. Still lifting all the things.

Fitocracy

Around here, a lot of people went to Planet fitness because a new one opened and they were offering discount memberships. They're pretty big, but if you're going to be doing heavy squats or deadlifts they may not be the place for you. Snap's not bad, but the one near me is on the small side, and doesn't have a lot of room/options freeweights. It's still one of the more affordable options in the area, though.

Personally I go to a gym that's not a chain, not 24Hr, and is more expensive, but has a couple squat racks as well as a platform set up to do deadlifts/olympic lifts, and a few places where I can grab a bar and do pull-ups/dips. It also has a few trainers who are pretty well-versed in proper form/technique for the big lifts, which was helpful for me in getting started. Also as a bonus, it's <2 miles from home for me - this was really the part that sealed the deal in my case.

Really, it depends on what your goals are. If you want to do heavy barbell lifting, neither Snap nor Planet Fitness are ideal. If you're more looking for bodyweight, machines, cardio, and the like they may be okay for your purposes

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I am a member of Snap, and my gym is pretty great. They are all different from what I understand, and the membership at mine costs a bit more, but there are free weights. The owner told me many Snaps skip on free weights for liability reasons. But, we have a squat rack, benches, plenty of free weights, dead lift bar (for those who hit their knees on the straight bar, I guess) dumbbells, barbells, and so on.

Also a Smith Machine.

I have yet to visit any other, but I hear around that this one is one of the best in town.

GNOME WARRIOR LEVEL SIX
STR 22.25 | DEX 7.25 | STA 15 | CON 23.75 | WIS 15.5 | CHA 10.25

Warrior Challenge #27 Champion

I go to a Snap because it is nearby and there was no contract. I really wish there was a squat rack, but I just do dumbbell squats for now since I'm only doing 60 pounds, so far. The dumbbells go up to 100 pounds. Mine has a 45 pound barbell and a 35 pound barbell and plenty of plates that I use for deadlifts. When I start benching more, it has one of those things that's not really a machine, but uses plates and each side moves independently. It works for my current level, but I would suggest going to look at the one that is near you to see if it has what you need. I've never really gotten weird looks for making a little noise when I set the weights on the floor or for exhaling loudly during lifts.

Thanks for all the advice. :) I can't really look into the smaller gyms until I get back home; that's why I was wondering about the bigger/ cheaper options.

Personally, I think Yelping the local gyms would be a great start for your search.

I would avoid PF unless you are not serious about exercise and just wanted something to assuage your guilt. Personally, I think the genius of their policies to ban anyone that is serious is just a way to maximize profits. People that are serious are going to be their year round, require service, etc. Vs. having a stream of constant causal people that will pay their dues, only infrequently come to the gym and quite in 3-6 months. Just keep the revolving door spinning faster and faster.

A locally owned gym, University or YMCA would be a much better fit.

I currently go to Planet Fitness. I would say that how seriously they take their policies varies at each facility. I've been at this one for around 4 years and I've not seen the stupid "lunk alarm" go off, and I'm pretty sure the staff just doesn't care. I spend most of my time there in the dumbbell section, as others have said - they do not have a squat rack or really anything barbell related. They have smith machines, but I avoid those like the plague.

There’s also no squat rack, only a smith machine. I’ve just been doing dumbbell squats but I eventually want to go to a gym that has an actual squat rack.

I can't state this enough: i wrecked my shoulder trying to back squat without a rack. If your gym has no squat rack a: please find another gym and b: don't do back squats. You might be able to front squat off a bench press if it's high enough, but your best bet is zerchers and the like.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

I can't state this enough: i wrecked my shoulder trying to back squat without a rack. If your gym has no squat rack a: please find another gym and b: don't do back squats. You might be able to front squat off a bench press if it's high enough, but your best bet is zerchers and the like.

What are your thoughts on using a pair of stands rather than a full rack? I've been putting off doing any barbell work due to no rack, but they're so expensive!!

Level 2 Ranger
Aspiring to awesomeness

What are your thoughts on using a pair of stands rather than a full rack? I've been putting off doing any barbell work due to no rack, but they're so expensive!!

I'm totally okay with this. I'd even be okay with using two large guys holding up your bar for you. Just use something that will give you the same support as a rack.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge