Forums are back in action! ×

Rope climb question

So last night I tried rope climbing for the first time since I was a child. The rope had assistance knots in it.

Today, my thighs are bruised from where I hit the knots with my legs. Gah! I was really pulling with my arms and pushing some with my feet - trouble getting the foot thing down. But what about my legs? What am I doing wrong or what might improve? I know it's from hitting the knots with the thigh-death-grip-due-to-sheer-determination.

thnx.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I'm on this too!! haha

My friend crosses his feet at the bottom (which wraps both legs around the rope, not just griping it from either side) to have more grip on the rope. However I find that a bit challenging, as of right now I'm just making sure i put all my strength into my feet on the knots and then my upper body strength to actually pull myself up.

Hope this helps maybe a little?

I'm on this too!! haha

My friend crosses his feet at the bottom (which wraps both legs around the rope, not just griping it from either side) to have more grip on the rope. However I find that a bit challenging, as of right now I'm just making sure i put all my strength into my feet on the knots and then my upper body strength to actually pull myself up.

Hope this helps maybe a little?

A little. I know I need to avoid the thigh to knot contact (yikes.) Can you explain the crossing the feet thing? How does he grip the rope?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

OK, I actually don't know how this works with a knotted climbing rope, but I know a lot about climbing aerial silks, and it's very similar. You don't want an OMG-death-grip with your thighs. You want to move back and forth between holding with your legs (thighs, ankle cross, whatever) and holding with your arms. So you lock it between your legs (above a knot, not on a knot), and reach your arms up. Then you release with your legs and hold with your arm, and pull your body up with your arms. Then you lock your legs again, release your arms (which should be bent) and reach up high again... repeat as high as you want to go. Does that help?

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

OK, I actually don't know how this works with a knotted climbing rope, but I know a lot about climbing aerial silks, and it's very similar. You don't want an OMG-death-grip with your thighs. You want to move back and forth between holding with your legs (thighs, ankle cross, whatever) and holding with your arms. So you lock it between your legs (above a knot, not on a knot), and reach your arms up. Then you release with your legs and hold with your arm, and pull your body up with your arms. Then you lock your legs again, release your arms (which should be bent) and reach up high again... repeat as high as you want to go. Does that help?

-jj

Actually, yes, I think it does. I know the death grip was bad but wasn't sure what to do. I never thought of not holding on with all four limbs in the death grip. The arm bending provides a really good visual for me for next time.

I AM going the distance

I remember reading this article on Art of Manliness about how to climb rope: http://artofmanliness.com/2012/01/11/how-to-climb-a-rope-like-a-navy-seal/

Tis awesomeness! Thank you!!!

I AM going the distance