Forums are back in action! ×

What can I do for my elbow?

I'm not sure what I did, but during the last few workouts, my right elbow has started hurting.

It's not the muscles or tendons around it, it actually hurts right in the joint. It only starts hurting when it is almost straight (around a 135* angle.) I don't lift very heavy (yet!); bench press is 60lbs, bent-over rows are 45lbs, and overhead press is 40-45lbs (all 5x5.)

Any ideas of what it could be? And is there anything I should be doing differently?

I'm not sure what I did, but during the last few workouts, my right elbow has started hurting.

It's not the muscles or tendons around it, it actually hurts right in the joint. It only starts hurting when it is almost straight (around a 135* angle.) I don't lift very heavy (yet!); bench press is 60lbs, bent-over rows are 45lbs, and overhead press is 40-45lbs (all 5x5.)

Any ideas of what it could be? And is there anything I should be doing differently?

could be tennis elbow (tendonitis). Heat, ibuprofen, rest.

I'd advise see a doc if it doesn't clear up after a few days of heat, ibuprofen, and rest. Elbow tendonitis is hard to clear up b/c you use the elbow joint all day.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

If it's inside the joint then it's *probably* not Tennis or Golfer's Elbow which are tendon issues, located on the outside of the joint, and relate to contraction not extension of the arm.

That being said, 161803398874989 (damn that's hard to type) is correct, it's too hard to diagnose this kind of thing on the interwebs. It could be a 100 different things, or just a symptom of something else, get it checked out it shouldn't take that long to figure it out.

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Just wanted to update...

I finally (after a week!) was able to get in and see my doctor. He said it was probably tendonitis. I ended up having to take a week off from the gym, anti-inflammatories 2x a day, and ice. I finally got back into the gym this week, but he wants me to do about half the weight I was lifting before (which really wasn't much to start with!) After two weeks back in the gym, if it still hurts, he wants to do x-rays and/or an MRI. Fun, fun.

Not really a fan of the anti-inflammatories since inflammation is part of the healing process and your tendonitis was fairly recent, but it works. The most important thing right now is to build back up slowly so you don't screw over your tendon again.

Good luck!

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Not really a fan of the anti-inflammatories since inflammation is part of the healing process and your tendonitis was fairly recent, but it works. The most important thing right now is to build back up slowly so you don't screw over your tendon again.

Good luck!

I was a percussionist for years, so I am used to having tendonitis in my forearms and wrists, but this is the first time I've had problems in my elbow. I'm taking it easier in the gym this week and not increasing the weight like I had planned.

I've never been a fan of taking medicine for every little thing. I definitely think the body is capable of healing most things itself, so I don't take the naproxen near as much as was prescribed.