Forums are back in action! ×

Male physique inspiration (photos)

Guest Snake McClain

First I think you've got it right. You seem to just be built bigger and you trying to slim way down probably just isn't in the cards. Don't kill yourself to drop this or that. Just lift and eat right and it should come. I'd love to see you deadlift 2.5xbw. holy crap. I'm working on 1.5. i'm right there and can probably do it once. Honestly as the dl weights get higher I'm getting scared to do them. lol

So how the heck did evan mathis do all that in two months? serioiusly that's....kind of nuts.

and yeah. apparently it was taken away. Don't know why. *shrug*. maybe all that testosterone in one room was a negative thing.

Find him on twitter and ask him r e-mail him, he actually responds to people A TON. He's very popular in Philly because of it.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

This seemed like the ONLY thread that really had "Men's Guild" written all over it. Ah well.

I always wonder what I'll potentially look like, just because of my base stats. I'm 6'4", broad shouldered, long arms and long legs... will I be lean or bulky?

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Guest Snake McClain
This seemed like the ONLY thread that really had "Men's Guild" written all over it. Ah well.

could be. This and the "men only" thing. I just think a guild takes more than a day or two to build but whatever. I really don't care.

BTW, in the 2 month Evan Mathis before and after, it just goes to show that if you put the muscle on and have that as your base, cutting fat later does not take very long if you do it right. He started the cut at the end of an NFL season by the dates shown.

Well, cutting during the season would just be asking for injury.

I always wonder what I'll potentially look like, just because of my base stats. I'm 6'4", broad shouldered, long arms and long legs... will I be lean or bulky?

Two men who should have somewhat similar body types, taken to two different maximums of athletic ability:

Ray Allen of the Boston Celtics is 6'4" 205lbs.

profile0910_ray_allen_1_600600.jpg

Ndamukong Suh of the Detroit Lions is also 6'4", but weighs 307lbs.

31suh_fifthdown-blog480.jpg

mathisbeast.jpg?bf3a68

Evan Mathis, Philadelphia Eagles Offensive Lineman

Evan Mathis is awesome, lifts crap tons of weight, and is athletic as hell. Plus, he hangs out with The Rock when he comes to town.

I'm surprised that the dates on the photos aren't the other way around. You'd think with all the mandatory training and weight room sessions the NFL players will be put on that they'd be super ripped during the season and then take a break during the offseason (probably without reducing their food intake by a huge amount) and get a bit fat.

Not at all, they work out and get big during the offseason, many times getting ripped as well for looks. In season, they end up losing muscle weight as practice is more about running around and practicing plays and they lift less. Most end up putting some pounds of fat on because you perform better at higher fat levels much of the time.

This is however the exception, he wanted to get in better shape to take his career to a new level. This is where it's from: http://www.zoneathleticperformance.com/results/evan-mathis

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Dunno, depends on how you train. I am 6'3" broad shoulded but on the lean sides these days. I don't eat a diet to support bulky muscles.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

True, but I mean natural aptitude-wise... am I the sort of person who can gain (non-fat) bulk easily? I dunno. My dad was always a beanpole, and he worked out for twenty years as a cop to gain size. He gained STRENGTH, but never size.

Guest Snake McClain
True, but I mean natural aptitude-wise... am I the sort of person who can gain (non-fat) bulk easily? I dunno. My dad was always a beanpole, and he worked out for twenty years as a cop to gain size. He gained STRENGTH, but never size.

This is why I'd love to see material on body types and how to build a certain body. And what role genetics plays.

Ditto. I figure there would need to be some tests, like "Ok, do THIS, THIS and THIS for a month, and then check: did you gain size? mass? Strength? Well, congratulations, it looks like you're a so-and-so bodytype."

Ditto. I figure there would need to be some tests, like "Ok, do THIS, THIS and THIS for a month, and then check: did you gain size? mass? Strength? Well, congratulations, it looks like you're a so-and-so bodytype."

Sorry Thrill, this only leads to the statement all scientists are far too familiar with: "Exact science isn't an exact science."

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I like Bruce's idea of training types for different body builds in one place. Alternatively, that info is already out there on many many other blogs dedicated to their sports (power lifting,sprinting, wrestling, rugby, Martial Arts, swimming etc etc etc etc-n).

Or were you thinking super specific in terms of every blokes current physical makeup.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

I think, as far as appearance is concerned, the only really genetic part is the exact configuration of your muscles, not their size or bulk. Sure, if you have tiny shoulders, they won't get wider, but you can still put on muscle. I know different people's abdominal walls are structured differently, but with diet and exercise, anyone can get them to show through. Super-skinny guys can make themselves muscular, and bigger guys can lean out (not to an emo bird-leg degree, but who wants that). It takes some effort and the right program, but just about anything can be done.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

BTW, in the 2 month Evan Mathis before and after, it just goes to show that if you put the muscle on and have that as your base, cutting fat later does not take very long if you do it right. He started the cut at the end of an NFL season by the dates shown.

You have to remember though that his base is an insane ability to do work. The fat falling off in gobs is simple if you have the work capacity to blow 1500-2000+ calories a day on exercise. Just don't gorge yourself in order to eat back your workout calories and buh bye fat.

The you can't outrun your fork saying is a bit disingenuous. It applies to fitness noobs and people willing to put forth limited effort. If you can train yourself into a very high work capacity, outrunning your fork is a very real problem.

Generally when you look at a guy like he is in the fist pic, it doesn't appear that he is in very good shape. But quite the contrary in fact, by the end of the season NFL players are in awesome shape. To play on the lines in the NFL you need to have a ridiculously high natural ability to keep your weight up while performing at a high level. Very, very, very few people on this planet can work out as hard as NFL players do, get in NFL shape, and hold 300+ lbs (the Bill Parcells planet theory, when in doubt take the big guy, there just aren't a lot of these guys on earth). Most fat people would quickly lose all their weight if they exercised at the level of an NFL player.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Guest Snake McClain
I think, as far as appearance is concerned, the only really genetic part is the exact configuration of your muscles, not their size or bulk. Sure, if you have tiny shoulders, they won't get wider, but you can still put on muscle. I know different people's abdominal walls are structured differently, but with diet and exercise, anyone can get them to show through. Super-skinny guys can make themselves muscular, and bigger guys can lean out (not to an emo bird-leg degree, but who wants that). It takes some effort and the right program, but just about anything can be done.

That's what I'm trying to get at. I'd love to see a book that says to look like and perform like a gymnast do this (and it gives you everything they do)

To look like a power lifter and to be one do this.

Surfer boys do this...

Etc. Like....something that can just tell you if you want this ability and that physique do these things and there could/should be an example of each type hopefully a member of nf. So say Loren wade if he were where he wants to netter could be the body weight guy. I look like this because I did all this. Of just something like that.

That's what I'm trying to get at. I'd love to see a book that says to look like and perform like a gymnast do this (and it gives you everything they do)

Building the Gymnastic Body combined with Overcoming Gravity.

To look like a power lifter and to be one do this.

Starting strength, 5/3/1, etc. etc.

Surfer boys do this...

Read a book on surfing.

If you want to look like a gymnast, become a gymnast. If you want to look like a powerlifter, become a powerlifter. If you want to look like a surfer boy, become a surfer boy.

IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Guest Snake McClain
The simple truth, there are no other shortcuts to it.

i'm not looking for shortcuts. lol.

okay. an all encompassing material that describes routines, dieting, and all the extras. like...here

There is a wrestler named davey richards who i'm a big fan of. He his built like a mac truck. (first post in this thread for photo). I know his routine. what he lifts. but he also does brazillian ju jitsu (sp?) a few times a week. kick boxing on another. he does all these different things. I would just like to see a material that says "i look like this and these are all the things i do in great detail. now you can do it too".

One training style that seems to lead to a lot of the bodies people like is that of an NFL DB (or WR). With them it is all about being strong and fast, flexibility is important too for injury prevention. Weight training is a must, but it isn't a overall focus, obviously most of their strength training will be the low rep strength variety since maximizing stength:size is important for speed (a stronger DB will be able to get 15-20 reps of 225 lb on the bench). Their running tends to be more of the HIIT style, 50-60 moderate effort short sprints over the course of a game with 5 or so full effort sprints. They also tend to do a lot of plyometrics, explosion drills. Many NFL weightrooms (cough like my Packers) have an Oly lift focus and only use free weights.

A lot of the more focused NFL players cross train MMA or boxing in the offseason since it translates to their game on the field.

Donald Driver is lookin' pretty good for a 37 yr old:

Donald+Driver+Dancing+Stars+Season+14+Episode+NnRbeU0Jv9al.jpg

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

One training style that seems to lead to a lot of the bodies people like is that of an NFL DB (or WR). With them it is all about being strong and fast, flexibility is important too for injury prevention. Weight training is a must, but it isn't a overall focus, obviously most of their strength training will be the low rep strength variety since maximizing stength:size is important for speed (a stronger DB will be able to get 15-20 reps of 225 lb on the bench). Their running tends to be more of the HIIT style, 50-60 moderate effort short sprints over the course of a game with 5 or so full effort sprints. They also tend to do a lot of plyometrics, explosion drills. Many NFL weightrooms (cough like my Packers) have an Oly lift focus and only use free weights.

A lot of the more focused NFL players cross train MMA or boxing in the offseason since it translates to their game on the field.

I know the wideout who tried ninja warrior could parallel squat 450lb or so.

500 / 330 / 625