Forums are back in action! ×

Girl wants to get fit and power lift

I actually really love being active, sitting around, drives me insane, unless I'm studying in which case there is a high purpose for the sitting around. A couple of years ago, (well more like 4) I was trying to find time for a gym or find time and space to do a workout routine at home where I wouldn't be told that I was wasting my time, or be made to feel guilty for working out. (Don't worry, that problem is now gone  #divorce) anyway I found a discounted membership on a daily deals website, and signed up to a gym, it worked out fantastic because they had gyms all over the country, 24/7 access, and I traveled a lot with work so it was perfect. I saw a PT and started training, just to get fit. Before I started at the gym I was doing a walk twice a week to Otawairere Bay, Ohope, New Zealand. Google it, its beautiful, and you have to walk over the top of a cliff to get to it, then I figured out that there was a huge track, from the top of one hill, all the way down into the Bay, and then up and over to Westend Beach. 300 odd meters of elevation, 5.5kms and around 1 hour 20mins, one way. One hell of a work out and so worth it, the views were always amazing and ending up on a gorgeous beach for a swim to cool off... total bliss. But I joined the gym, and then changed jobs so I haven't been back there in a long while. But the key was that I had changed jobs, and then entered single life with the kids, which meant, no time for the gym, I tried slotting it into my lunch hour, or finding a baby sitter, but it just got too difficult. And then all sorts of crap happened and I lost all motivation, I was just trying to get through each day and keep the kids alive and happy. BUT NOW!!! All the crap has pretty much finished, I have my motivation back again so I downloaded some work out sheets and started training at home, and remembered that I love it, I love feeling my body getting stronger again, I love waking up in the morning and feeling a little sore from the day before in a good way, I love feeling energetic and healthy. I got my happy back. But new mission. I want to try power lifting. I'm a 164cm tall, 55kg, and I want to be able to lift 50-75kgs by the end of the year. I want to do it for myself for now, but next year I would like to complete. I would also love to be a PT and nutritionist, I have worked through 8 nutrition certificates which I have passed with flying colors, and my goal is to start my PT papers next year, after I finish my current diploma. #goals #fitlife #gotmyhappyback

Heres to having fun, getting fit, and living a good life!

• Like 6

Welcome to Nerd Fitness, XtinaJ! 

It sounds like you've got some pretty clear goals figured out and you know what to do to make them happen. That's fantastic! You're definitely in the right place for a driven fitness-interested nerd ;) 

Let us know if you need any help with the forums or with figuring out your routine or anything else. We're a friendly bunch and happy to lend a hand (or ear, or shoulder, or whatever). 

Good luck and get to it!

• Like 1

Hi Wobbegong!

Thank you :) So fair this little corner of the internet looks awesome, I've already recommended it to a few friends too

Mainly I am looking for information on starting power lifting, at the moment I am limited to what I can achieve at home, single mum life is busy lol

I am currently working on a 30 day cardio mission as well as upper body strength, core and legs, sounds like it covers almost everything haha

• Like 2

If you are limited to what is possible at home, you could do:

a) Get a full/half rack (with safeties) with a bench and flooring, barbell and say, 150kg of weights. That will allow you to do EVERYTHING kinda forever. Pros: you have everything you need. Cons: the footprint can be quite big, and you need a decent ceiling height too. And imagine moving to another house...

b. Get flooring and a bar and weights. Then you can do deadlifts, clean and presses and front squats (maybe not maximal weights for front squats cos you get limited by the clean). Pros: Quite kickass too and the footprint shrinks quite a bit. Cons: Still requires 3m by 2m at least. And doesn't work if you want to eventually compete in powerlifitng.

c. (my recommended solution). Get a 8kg, 12kg and 16kg kettlebell. It should take you a while to outgrow them and if you search for them used, you can pick it up for an absolute song. You can do the Strongfirst Program Minimum, or the Strongfirst Certification WOrkout (which covers most of the main movements), or go to Omnit.com and use any of the workouts they post. Pros: Cheap, low barrier to entry and you can get quite awesome anyhow (16kg turkish get ups are not to be sniffed at). Cons: It's not powerlifting or weightlifting... but then depends on your goals.

d. (actually not a terrible idea). Learn how to do the bodyweight workouts. Progress thru progressions. There is plenty on this website about bodyweight training. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

Hi godjira,

That is really awesome, thank you.  

Currently I live in an upstairs apartment so a and b is probably not great for the neighbors who live under me lol however I am planning on moving soon to a bigger house which will have the space, and no looking at moving from there for a few years so all the options are a possibility.

The equipment I have at the moment is dumbbells, 1kg set and a 2kg set, (the 1kg set I brought for the kids to play with instead of using mine while I am trying to use them lol)

I also have a full set of resistance bands, wrist and ankle strap weights, and a treadmill that I am looking at trading for an elliptical machine instead, though I do love my treadmill, poor thing is collecting dust at the moment though...

I am planning on getting a bar and weights kit from the local fitness store, it comes with a bar and 100kgs of weights, and its not too expensive who is always a bonus.

I was actually thinking of kettlebells yesterday, so I will do some digging in the local buy and sell sites for some second hand one.

B C and D are definitely options that can be realistic for me at the moment so I will do some research.  

Thank you for your advise, I really appreciate it.

• Like 2

Welcome!

I'm not very good at just sitting around either. And that walk sounds lovely!

You have some pretty awesome goals. I don't know anything about powerlifting, but there's quite a few other people around the forums that do and some who compete fairly regularly. There's a powerlifting and weightlifting section of the forums you should check out if there's any specific advice you're looking for. There's also the warrior guild in the four week challenges. We'll have a new challenge starting soon if you're interested. 

Good luck!

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Welcome.

Some Warrior must-reads:

On 8/3/2017 at 6:53 AM, godjira1 said:

c. (my recommended solution). Get a 8kg, 12kg and 16kg kettlebell. It should take you a while to outgrow them and if you search for them used, you can pick it up for an absolute song. You can do the Strongfirst Program Minimum, or the Strongfirst Certification WOrkout (which covers most of the main movements), or go to Omnit.com and use any of the workouts they post. Pros: Cheap, low barrier to entry and you can get quite awesome anyhow (16kg turkish get ups are not to be sniffed at). Cons: It's not powerlifting or weightlifting... but then depends on your goals.

d. (actually not a terrible idea). Learn how to do the bodyweight workouts. Progress thru progressions. There is plenty on this website about bodyweight training.

I'm seconding this (because I am biased). I believe we have a few SFGs in New Zealand, but they're mostly in Auckland. StrongFirst applies strength principles in everything. The SFB is the application of Powerlifting principles to bodyweight training. Pick your poison. Pavel has numerous resources that are easy to understand and simple to follow. If you're going for kettlebell training the best [StrongFirst] place to start would be Simple & Sinister. If the barbell is your tool of choice you can go with Power To The People. For bodyweight, The Naked Warrior and follow Chief Bodyweight Instructor Karen Smith's channel.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Machete,

Thanks, that is so awesome.  I've just had a quick look through all those links, I will read them properly shortly.  The books look interesting so I'll definitely look at getting them, add them to my library lol

I do like the idea of strength principals, and I'm going to pick up a couple of kettlebells today so I'm looking forward to trying them out tonight. 

Thanks again for your advise, and for the links :)