Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everybody,

I'm Recep from Turkey and I started going to the gym nearly a month ago. I'm a software developer and I spend my whole day sitting in front of computers.

Because of that, I got fat especially last a few years. My weight was 75 kg before going to the gym but right now it's nearly 71 kg. I'm going to the gym because I want to melt my belly, build muscles and shape my body from scratch. I'm going to the gym every second day. I really like going to gym and spend my 1 or 1.5 hours here.

By the way, English is my second language and I'm still learning it! :)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Hey Recep, welcome to Nerd Fitness! 

What kinds of workouts do you do at the gym? Lifting, cardio machines, classes? 

I second godjira, your English is fantastic!

Hi Wobbegong,

Thanks for asking, I'm doing cardio nearly 40 minutes. 20 minutes treadmill and 20 minutes elliptical machine. Later on, 2 minutes plank, 3 steps sit-up each one contains 10 sit-ups as well as 2 steps push-up each one contains 10 push-ups. That's that for now. I'm going to gym only one month and I want to share my results below.

Before going to gym,

my weight was 74.9 kg and right now it's 72.2 kg.

my shoulder was 115 cm and right now it's 110 cm.

my chest was 98 cm and right now it's 96 cm.

my belly was 96.5 cm and right now it's 93 cm.

my arm was 32 cm and right now it's 31 cm.

my leg was 52 cm and right now it's 50 cm.

I just want to say again, this result is after workout only one month and I'm going every second day.

What do you all think about these results?

I want to extend my shoulder and shape my body. Do you have any advice for me? Should I use supplementary like protein powders, Bcaa and vitamins? If so, What's your favourite brand for these? :)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Recep said:

I just want to say again, this result is after workout only one month and I'm going every second day.

What do you all think about these results?

I want to extend my shoulder and shape my body. Do you have any advice for me? Should I use supplementary like protein powders, Bcaa and vitamins? If so, What's your favourite brand for these?

I'd say it sounds like you're on the right track. If you're after body shaping the easiest and fastest thing I know of is to lose the excess fat first, and then transition to working on building up muscle. (Otherwise you won't be able to see the muscle gains because they'll be hidden under the fat.) Gaining muscle while burning fat is notoriously difficult, so if you're not in a rush and you don't have the money to shell out for a personal trainer, just go in sequence. :)

For fat loss, there's no such thing as targeted loss: you'll loose fat from all over your body regardless of where you're exercising. Muscle gain, however, happens where you work. If you want to improve your shoulders, your compound bodyweight options are pull ups and crawls. There are a million isolation moves you can do with dumbbells if the silhouette is all you're after, but for functional strength, compound movements win every time. 

Remember, "slow and steady wins the race." If you do too much at once and get injured, you'll face major timeline setbacks and may never fully recover. Better to take it one step at a time and institute changes that will last a lifetime. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the Rebellion @Recep

Being the American I am I refuse to use the standards everyone else uses and do thinks in pounds and inches because I can! *self-referential humor, please ignore*

Congrats on the weight loss and with just a month of starting! Converting the loss is about 6 pounds and well within what I understand of a safe weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week (0.453 to 0.907 kg per week).

For any advice, first realize that most of us aren't medical doctors or anything of the sort and don't know everything going on in your situation.  We would love nothing more to see you succeed, but if there is any question on changing of diets, adding supplements, or issues of injuries and limited mobility I would highly suggest getting your medical care giver involved. Second is that the advice will be based on what your goals are; and as you earlier posted you want to lose weight and gain muscle. That said, as Wobbegong stated, doing both is difficult and it may be easier to focus on one thing at a time.

Losing weight

Your regiment seems to be going well if you are looking to lose weight, so I would maintain it if you had no other goals ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it").  If you feel the exercises are too easy then there are some body-weight progressions you can add or replace the easier movements with; but again, it depends on your goals. Considering you are losing weight, I assume diet isn't an issue, but it is the majority of the battle and should be looked at first before adjusting the workout.

Gaining muscle

This will be more difficult to give advice since I am not certain exactly what you may be looking for.  I enjoy doing all the things so I do Crossfit; but maybe you enjoy only bodyweight movements, maybe you like dumbbells, kettlebells, and bar movements.  So long as you are enjoying the workout, I wouldn't worry too much about fitting it into a nice group like my mind enjoys thinking in terms of.  I notice you don't have a 'Pull' movement (such as dumbbell row, row machine, pullup, or inverted row for example) with the 'Push' of the pushups.  Consider if pulling is a thing you'd like to work on and add it to the routine if you want to.

Supplements

I tend to avoid using any supplements whatsoever and can't answer anything on that, but this link will take you to the Supplements section where members have discussed their own questions and results of using supplements. 

The "official" stance of NF is that "supplements aren't necessary"; but most importantly is to discuss with your doctor or dietician before starting a supplement regimen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray

Thanks for the all comments which are most important for me.

We have personal trainers at the gym and they show me how to make moves rightly. I will talk to my trainer about 'Pull' movements maybe he knows something that I don't know. :)

They recommend me buy some supplementaries but firstly I will ask to our family doctor. By the way, I started reading "15 mistakes that newbies make when trying to get healthy" and I will try to avoid doing that mistakes. :)

I'm planning to share my last situation here to take advices.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Roamer said:

Welcome to the forums Recep! Best of luck with your fitness endeavors and if you have any questions or just want to chat feel free to send me a PM! I'm all about motivation and keeping on track of your goals so keep at it bud!

Hi Roamer, 

Thanks for your kindly message. I'm very happy to hear that. :)

• Like 1