Forums are back in action! ×

Long time lurker, finally taking the plunge!

Hi,

Been looking at NF for a couple of years (I know!), finally decided to take the plunge and see what its all about.

Basically, never had much success or staying power with exercise, have been going to the gym on and off for a couple of months and want to try and focus now. I'm really interested in trying out lifting, rather than my normal (unsuccessful) attempts at running etc. Just completed my benchmarking and started looking at the workouts, but am a bit confused.

I'm starting at Bodyweight Workout 2A, which is great - I'm not quite at the bottom! I don't really know how to plan these workouts, how often I should be doing them before levelling up, how to mark them as completed etc.  Any help would be appreciated.

In the past, I've always tried to have very rigid workout regimes as I'm rubbish if left to my own devices, but these inevitably fail when I miss one as it breaks my routine. I know I need to look at this far more flexibly but not really sure how/where to start, so am just copying my wife's workout at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks all!

Welcome to Nerd Fitness, Mike! 

Sounds like you're using the Academy, is that right? I don't have it, but you should be able to reach out either to the Academy facebook group or to NF Support (contact@nerdfitness.com) if you're having trouble navigating the routines or figuring out how/when you level up. 

Regarding weightlifting, especially just jumping in, definitely don't overdo it. Every other day, or three days a week, is usually a good place to start. If you have to do something every day to keep up your streak, you could toss in some light cardio and/or stretching on your rest days, but think about it seriously because overtaxing your body is a great way to get injured, and nothing will break your streak more than an injury. 

As far as missing one and counting it as a failure... it's a common problem, but it can be caused by a lot of things. Put some thought into what causes you to get off track in the first place, and see if you can address those issues and come up with safeguards to prevent it from happening. If it does, having accountability here is often helpful: report that you didn't do what you were supposed to, and let your NF buddies remind you that you're still working hard and you've made progress and you'll keep making progress by getting right back on that horse. Eventually, you'll get to a place where sticking to your routine isn't such a struggle. :) 

Best of luck and once again, welcome to Nerd Fitness!

Thanks Wobbegong!

You're right, I've signed up to the Academy - just waiting for my FB request to be completed.

i think I'm on the right path - just going to try and workout a couple of times a week, use the template they provide and go from there. You're right about not jumping in too early - I'm a little achey after my last workout a couple of days ago!

Off to the gym now to start following the workout/have a gentle walk! Smoke me a kipper!

• Like 1

Hi @Mike F! I'm new here, too! I just started my first challenge on Monday. I love lifting weights, but I've always been really inconsistent. I've been lifting regularly for 10 weeks now, possibly my longest stretch. 

Just want to wish you luck! I hope you had a great workout!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Rebellion!

Just to ensure you are aware, the Academy and the forums here are technically separate entities but you will find members that are part of the Academy, Yoga, Rings, and Handstand products of NF as well.  Most members on the forum use a 4-week challenge to create small goals and habits and to find a measure of accountability.  If you'd be interested and want to start up a challenge thread, we'd recommend heading over to the Rebels in completing your first challenge and following Spezzy's super-awesome-walkthrough.

Let us now if there is anything we can help with because...

It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere

I'm all alone, more or less

Let me fly, far away from here!

Fun, fun, fun; in the sun, sun, sun

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray