Forums are back in action! ×

Photography nerds!

I've wanted to learn photography for years, since I am an avid hiker and would love good shots of the things I see around the world.  I just picked up my first dslr over the weekend, along with two lenses.  Entry level stuff - but it's a starting point.  I'm looking forward to getting out and photographing well - just about everything!  I want lots of click time and edit time under my belt by the time I go out to Newfoundland to do the Gros Morne Mountain hike (16km, 6-8hours)

Canon T5, with an 18-55 and 55-250 lens for my starting rig.

• Like 1

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I've not been out and about in a while now, unfortunately (though when I was last out I did manage to get at least one decent shot!). It's been all rain and doom and gloom here, and I don't have a waterproof case for my DSLR. Might take my little point and shoot out for tomorrow's walk though. It's waterproof, and the reason I bought it was to take it out in less than favourable conditions, so...

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

I've wanted to learn photography for years, since I am an avid hiker and would love good shots of the things I see around the world.  I just picked up my first dslr over the weekend, along with two lenses.  Entry level stuff - but it's a starting point.  I'm looking forward to getting out and photographing well - just about everything!  I want lots of click time and edit time under my belt by the time I go out to Newfoundland to do the Gros Morne Mountain hike (16km, 6-8hours)

Canon T5, with an 18-55 and 55-250 lens for my starting rig.

Awesome. Not a bad camera really. If you spend a little to get a good fast lens, you will get even better shots. Its amazing what a difference good glass can make...

• Like 1

No pictures from me, but I am a photography nerd!

At the moment, I'm pretty much exclusively an event photographer, being that I'm the official photographer for a live comedy show/podcast that is run by several of my friends. However, I am planning on expanding into other types of geeky photography, especially cosplay photography, which is why I have created a brand; unfortunately said brand currently has no online presence, primarily because I have no online presence. I keep procrastinating.

I think that I'll work best with modelling/cosplay/portrait shoots, if only because I have a little more time to get the best quality photos than I would in live events with variable - often bad - lighting and constantly moving people.

For the gearheads in the room, I use a Canon Rebel T3i, which I purchased when I first started back in Summer 2013, and have three lenses: an 18-55mm, which came with the camera; a 75-300mm, which I barely use; and the very, very useful 50mm 1.8 lens. I'll usually use the 18-55mm lens, but my instructor recommended that I use it for wide, full-stage shots and use the 50mm lens the rest of the time. I also use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4 (I bought 4.0, but it updated to 4.4); I actually bought a 23' 1900x1080 resolution monitor specifically for post-processing work. I love it.

Apologies for the flood of words instead of images, but I wanted to introduce myself.

Photos will hopefully appear in the future, with the subjects' permission, of course.

• Like 4

Race - Ambiguously Human | Guild - None

Level - 0 | STR - ? | DEX - ? | STA - ? | CON - ? | WIS - ? | CHA - ?

Awesome. Not a bad camera really. If you spend a little to get a good fast lens, you will get even better shots. Its amazing what a difference good glass can make...

I aim aiming to get a 50mm prime f1.4 lens next.

• Like 2

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

Photography nerd here. I shoot anything, portraits, cars, landscapes, stuff. And Architecture. I did shoot weddings, but only for close friends... I find weddings extremely stressful.

At the moment, I find myself playing a lot with my watches. I really enjoy fiddling with the light... you don't need serious equipment, two flash, a reflector, white, grey and black cardbord and gaffa tape is all you need. :-)

imgp1946.jpg

Ad I really, really love to shoot film. Film makes you think. With digital, I blast away and then, after returning home, I sift through hundreds and thousands of images and hope to get a few decent ones. With filmes, I usually nail it. I also like to plan ahead... with film, planning the picture does not start with composing the frame, it starts before you leave the house. Which film do I load? Which films do I take with me? What would the light be like? How much of it? What colours do I expect, which level of contrast? And what will I want to say?

Every film renders colours differently... Besides, film usually looks good as it is (if the laboratory personnel know their business). With digital, you almost always have to tweak a little bit here and there. And I absolutely hate post-processing and editing. (I honestly admit that this is probably because I'm utterly bad at editing.)

These pictures are from a trip to Italy:

f1030027.jpg

I love the latitude and dynamic range of professional film. And to get back to the old discussion about blasting away on digital and nailing it on film: this is the only exposure I took. I metered for both the highlights and the shadows, then for the entire frame, then did some guesstimating and bang! That was it. With digital this would have taken much longer and be much less fun...

2_img000111.jpg

Again, the dynamic range! There is still detail in the steps in the foreground... and this is in the cheap scan. The original is much clearer.

And this is a highly sensitive slide film. (Yes, youngsters, back in the day ISO 400 was considered fast and highly sensitive.) Too bad Fuji discontinued the Provia 400X.

f1010020.jpg?

Just look at the colours!

Did I mention I just love film?

• Like 1

Rowing, rucking, running, lifting heavy stuff. Why not do it all?