Forums are back in action! ×

Final attempt at getting into shape -- advice needed

Hi everyone. First off, I'm new to the forum and looking to get into shape for the last time before I probably pack it in. Any advice would therefore be much appreciated!

I'm 5'8", 130lbs and 28 years old, and for the past 12 years I've been trying to gain weight. In that time I've probably made 12 weeks' progress. When I was younger this was due to a combination of stress, depression, drinking and IBS affecting my ability to stick to regular workout routines, as well as a lack of information about effective workouts and nutrition. I have brought all of these things under control, but the one thing that I cannot solve is that I am always f***ing injured. 

To spare you my life story, I have now overworked my shoulders by trying to do a very simple workout routine of chin ups and press ups (i.e. a push and a pull). This is consistent with my previous injuries in that, while I have focused obsessively on perfecting technique and not overdoing it, I get injured anyway. I spend six months injured, then two months getting back up to my previous level (taking it slow), then get injured again. I believe the root cause could be that my core is exceptionally weak, which causes my technique to falter under higher reps. I have tried to do squats to solve this... and got injured. My knees and hips feel pain whenever I do them. 

I would potentially be suicidally depressed if I thought that it was impossible for me to get ripped :D My physique holds me back in all areas of my life -- people often comment on how small and young looking I am. I'm fairly certain it's costing me five-figure sums in salary -- my last boss told my colleagues to "leave the boy alone" during heated discussions that I could more than handle, in part due to all the practice of people trying it on with me more than with the big guys. Also, lets not talk about dating. 

I'm obviously looking desperately for a solution to my situation. However, if I can't do basic compound exercises like squats, chin ups and press ups, I'm not sure what the options are. I know there are lighter exercises, but these don't provide results. I plan to try chin ups again in about two months and start doing wall push ups and maybe reverse flies in the meantime. I might also do squats once per week, as even I can probably handle that. 

If you have any other suggestions for a recovery plan, then please let me know x

Hey @Atolm , I wish I could help you but I seriously don't know anything about exercises to actually do so.

But I can tell you one thing: at work or with dating, it's not the size that matters. It's your personality. Your personality can always be bigger or smaller than your body, and it's entirely up to you. I understand that physically growing could enhance your personality a bit, but you can train it pretty much the same way to impose yourself and create a stronger version of yourself.

Still, I hope someone will manage to actually help you with exercises ^^

• Like 1

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

NODDY'S ENTERS THE HISTORIC RUINS (challenge)

Race: Half Demon | Class: Adventurer | Character sheet

- - -

DeviantArt

Appreciate that mate. My weight does sometimes make me look ill, though, rather than just being skinny. The IBS means I can't just eat my way or 'think positively' through that problem. 

The chin ups were hugely effective in changing my shape -- I got up to 4 sets of 8 reps, which in hindsight was too high but not anything I expected to cause injury. 

Any other advice would be appreciated. 

Do you actually know what's making it so easy for you to get injured? Isn't it a medical issue of some sort?? Or just the kind of muscular/trapped nerve sort of thing?? You might want to consider less reps as well?

Also, have you discussed with someone about an IBS diet? Usually, people end up knowing what triggers it. Obviously, you can't really avoid stress, only learn ways to cope with it better.

• Like 1

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

NODDY'S ENTERS THE HISTORIC RUINS (challenge)

Race: Half Demon | Class: Adventurer | Character sheet

- - -

DeviantArt

As always I would recommend going to see a physician about your injuries if it is an option. But speaking from personal experience I know it is not always an option. I myself have an injured shoulder, possible carpal tunnel in my right wrist, a hit or miss lower back injury, and don't even get me started on my knees and shin splints. Generally these injuries act up AFTER I am done working out. Best advice is to try to exercise UNTIL you start feeling sharp pains - if you start feeling them BEFORE you workout I would strongly urge you to go see a physician and explain to them that you are not interested in being a couch potato and to offer any assistance they can in helping you gain mass.

• Like 1

I'm training to be (like) Batman physically, mentally, and financially.

Thanks very much guys. I was thinking of seeing a physio anyway, but it's good to have thought all the options through before spending so much money. 

My shoulders hurt doing everyday activities i.e. Before working out, so I should get them fixed. Obviously I also need longer term advice, so I'm hoping they provide this. 

RE: your carpal tunnel syndrome, I started to get this last year from lat pulldowns. Again, because my core is weak, I was putting too much pressure on my wrists and neck. I didn't experience this once I switched to chin ups. 

• Like 1

Hi Atolm,

here's something that worked for me everytime i felt beat up (my main sports are Brazilian jiu-jitsu and Judo so I can't help getting hurt a little once in a while): Original Strength Resets. 

The Resets actually constitute a workout by themselves, though admittedly not a very tough one at the basic progressions. Nonetheless they have quite miraculously fixed my ac joint pain, and tight hip flexors. YMMV of course but what do you have to lose. 

Go check them out on youtube, or if u are so inclined get the book. 

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

On 8/31/2017 at 6:01 PM, Atolm said:

I'm new to the forum and looking to get into shape for the last time before I probably pack it in.

Don't pack it in! Trying and failing is part of the process.

How much have you tried to actively work on core strength? You could try some focused exercises like planking (and tons of others). Or try an activity that includes a lot of core (yoga and swimming come to mind). Since you have access to a chin-up bar, knee tucks are good for lower abs.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016