Forums are back in action! ×

Common sayings that we hate!

Guest Snake McClain

This isn't a saying, really. It's more of a common misunderstanding/ misuse annoyance. Diet. If you eat you are on a diet. More accurately, you have a diet. Vegan is a diet, Paleo is a diet, omnivore is a diet. I wish people would stop using "diet" as a synonym for "weight loss strategy." You can attempt to lose weight by any form of food consumption and it is a diet. Or, you can eat as much as you want and it's still a diet. Diet= 1. The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats. Regardless of what else we've decided it means this is what diet means, first and foremost. So to say any form of eating food is not a diet is FALSE.

Please stop it.

Okay, go back to your hilarious business talk office games that make me giggle and think of HIMYM.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I hate it when people say "fail." I also hate "epic," and I hate any combination of the two. Same goes for "win."

Thank you, thank you, thank you... a thousand times thank you.

I spent the better part of a year trying to explain to my son that fail is a verb, not a noun. What was even more disturbing was that he became so enamored of saying "FAIL" that he actually forgot how and when to use the word properly and completely forgot how to use the word failure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tex

Dwarf Ranger

STR 4 // DEX 1 // STA 4 // CON 3 // WIS 5.5 // CHA 2

Current Challenge Log

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

"I was born into a generation of ninnies. It has made me tired."

-Steve Albini

Common sayings I hate...

These two for reasons I hope should be obvious:

"Boys will be boys."

"Hits/throws/cries like a girl."

These ones because they're so often said by people who have no idea what they person they're talking through is going through, and have no idea what to say about it, but want to feel like they're saying something comforting... when actually, the person they're talking to might know that it won't be fine, and doesn't believe that you "know how they feel", and won't ask you to do anything even if they need it - probably because they needed a sympathetic person to talk to and you're shutting them up by telling them you already know how they feel. If you really wanted to do something to help, you'd just DO it.(Yeah, my dad died of cancer when I was in high school, it sucked. There were not any sympathetic friends silently listening as I talked it out, or home made food appearing on our doorstep, or family and neighbors coming to the house to help with the everyday stuff we just didn't have the energy for, like there always are in books.)...

"Don't worry, it'll be fine." or "It'll be okay."

"I know how you feel."

"If there's anything I can do to help, let me know."

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

"Socialize" used incorrectly as a transitive verb. As in: "let's socialize this idea to the team". Used by corporate business types who like to take existing words, and needlessly invent new meanings for them. As if "share", "discuss", "distribute", "send", or any other appropriate term wasn't good enough.

IT. DRIVES. ME. CRAZY!!

23657.strip.gif

Ugh, I say "socialize" all the time. For a while I fought it, now I've just joined the vernacular masses and let 'socialize' 'knowledge transfer' itself into my speech. I only hate myself a little.

Common sayings I hate...

These two for reasons I hope should be obvious:

"Boys will be boys."

"Hits/throws/cries like a girl."

These ones because they're so often said by people who have no idea what they person they're talking through is going through, and have no idea what to say about it, but want to feel like they're saying something comforting... when actually, the person they're talking to might know that it won't be fine, and doesn't believe that you "know how they feel", and won't ask you to do anything even if they need it - probably because they needed a sympathetic person to talk to and you're shutting them up by telling them you already know how they feel. If you really wanted to do something to help, you'd just DO it.(Yeah, my dad died of cancer when I was in high school, it sucked. There were not any sympathetic friends silently listening as I talked it out, or home made food appearing on our doorstep, or family and neighbors coming to the house to help with the everyday stuff we just didn't have the energy for, like there always are in books.)...

"Don't worry, it'll be fine." or "It'll be okay."

"I know how you feel."

"If there's anything I can do to help, let me know."

For me (and I may have mentioned this before but, like ETF said, this is a long thread): Everything happens for a reason. Hi. I'm an atheist. If you know that then do you think I buy that? My sister is constantly guilty of this. I don't care in the slightest what the religious/spiritual beliefs are of others but I make an effort to know my audience. Try something else.. like.. "I'm sorry-that sucks." or something. But don't tell me some greater being is playing with me a la a puppet strings.

Hahaha ETF it has been mentioned. I know because I posted it. :D That one always gets me. :high-five:

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

i think that everything happens for a reason and i'm agnostic... don't think that these two things are incongruous... it's just that i don't think that the reason is G*d...

i got fired... reason: my boss is an a$$...

i'm broke... reason: Bernanke is an a$$...

i'm mad... reason: my co-worker is an a$$...

i'm sad... reason: the doctor who botched my boob job is an a$$...

i'm happy... reason: i got extra meat in my sandwich and the guy who didn't put enough yesterday is an a$$...

you get the idea... ;-)

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

maybe mentioned before... the thread is long...

"for all intensive purposes"

instead of:

"for all intents and purposes"

On that note...

At least two of my co-workers regularly say "pacific" instead of "specific". I have been told that it is, to a certain extent, a Scottish thing. But it also, to a certain extent, drives me up the fucking wall. One of them also mis-uses "regards" constantly. In regarding the issue... with regards our talk... always so close, but not quite.

The grammar in my office is just generally terrible, at least by my standards. This is because I'm a Philosophy major working with a bunch of programmers. I'm a humanities person, but grammar isn't something they get obsessive over. They're fine in their everyday speech... then they try to use business-speak and it all goes horribly wrong. Yesterday I was stuffing envelopes and noticed that the big mailshot we were sending out asked prospective buyers to "Imagine if you could....?", ending the sentence with a question mark. Argh! It shouldn't be a big deal, it doesn't affect their work, but... well, if I were a prospective client, I'd find it unprofessional, anyway.

</rant>

For me (and I may have mentioned this before but, like ETF said, this is a long thread): Everything happens for a reason. Hi. I'm an atheist. If you know that then do you think I buy that? My sister is constantly guilty of this. I don't care in the slightest what the religious/spiritual beliefs are of others but I make an effort to know my audience. Try something else.. like.. "I'm sorry-that sucks." or something. But don't tell me some greater being is playing with me a la a puppet strings.

Yes. This. So much this. Everything happens for a reason? Really? I was born with a severe deformity and my dad died when I was a teenager, in the middle of his career doing fantastic work reforming police procedures and laws to protect the public, for a reason? What reason? To mess with us? Why would any divine being purposely do that to us? Did we deserve it somehow?

Yeah, that one really sucks.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Archived