Forums are back in action! ×

Life Goal Achieved!

Shmikey

Its been a long time since I've been on the NF boards, and to be honest, I really miss it. I will be updating much more now that I'm not traveling from place to place. To start it off, I want to share a MAJOR WOOT with you all.

Okay, I have spent the last two days at an intensive job fair for teachers wanting to teach in rural Alaska villages. I drove 2 hours to Anchorage the day I found out it was happening, printed out a truckload of resumes, and wore a snazzy suit. The jumping from booth to booth and handing out resumes paid off with six job interviews.

In case you haven't been to a job interview in a while, they are draining. And six of them over two days is nuts. But it all payed off.

I just got my first professional teaching contract!

I will be teaching in the Inupiat village of Shungnak, AK, about 25 miles above the Arctic Circle. There, I will be responsible for 6-12 grade science and 7-8th grade math.

A heck of a lot of work and planning in an isolated village dealing with arctic weather for my first year of professional teaching?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2631[/ATTACH]

post-4532-1356724356247_thumb.jpg

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: center] [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Shmikey Lvl 1 Half-Elf Assassin | STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3 |
"True courage is the ready and steadfast acceptance of whatever pains are incidental to securing the personal and public ends that are at stake." -William De Witt Hyde [/TABLE]

Congrats! I end up changing jobs every two years or so (I get bored easily) and I always try to schedule as many interviews in a day as I can - I always fluff the first one through nerves usually but by the end I'm blazing through them ... glad that approach worked for you as well.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Congratulations!!! Every so often I seriously consider trying to get a job in a rural area of Alaska or somewhere up there in the PNW; you'll have to keep us updated so I know if it's anything like I imagined. Did they want librarians at all? (just for curiosity's sake)

Yes, actually, they did! I did a quick search on their website and it looks like they still do.Check this out. If your interested, Alaska really is an awesome place.

Fellow Alaskan, I salute you. Enjoy!

I will! Thanks!

And thanks to everyone else too, I will indeed be taking lots of pictures. To reward myself, I'm buying a Canon DSLR and a decent lens. Photoblog, here I come.

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: center] [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Shmikey Lvl 1 Half-Elf Assassin | STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3 |
"True courage is the ready and steadfast acceptance of whatever pains are incidental to securing the personal and public ends that are at stake." -William De Witt Hyde [/TABLE]

Congrats on the position! I've never been that far north in Alaska, but it should be quite the experience! And yes, you'll have a lot of planning to make sure you have everything you need... unless you want to pay an arm and a leg on shipping!

If you're going above the arctic circle, I recommend making sure you have a tripod for your camera too. Might.... get some good night shots. You'll have plenty of dark hours to play with come winter.

Don't let the natives give you too hard a time, huh? ;)

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

If you're going above the arctic circle, I recommend making sure you have a tripod for your camera too. Might.... get some good night shots. You'll have plenty of dark hours to play with come winter.

Don't let the natives give you too hard a time, huh? ;)

I'll be getting myself a Canon Rebel (appropriate, no?) T3i as a reward to myself for the job. I'll keep the tripod in mind, might come in handy during those Aurora Borealis nights :). I'm hoping that the Inupiats are as friendly as my recruiters led me to believe...at the very least, I will conquer with kindness and introduce body weight circuits to them all.

I'll be getting myself a Canon Rebel (appropriate, no?) T3i as a reward to myself for the job. I'll keep the tripod in mind, might come in handy during those Aurora Borealis nights :). I'm hoping that the Inupiats are as friendly as my recruiters led me to believe...at the very least, I will conquer with kindness and introduce body weight circuits to them all.

I have a Canon Rebel Xsi (Canon Rebel - official camera of the Rebellion? I can't really say that... there are a lot of good cameras owned around here). Basically your only other option with catching the Aurora if you don't get a tripod is some very sneaky camera-balancing+self-timering-so-you-don't-shake-it-when-you-push-the-button. And laying on the ground. I've practiced both of those, but a tripod sure makes life easier :P

I'm sure your recruiters would give a fairly accurate depiction of the locals. Just know that when you get in good with them, then the verbal abuse (teasing) really begins. Or at least... that's how we rolled in Southwest Alaska ;) If you're willing to open up and be a part of their lives and community, I'm sure you'll be fine. It's the teachers that come in and hide out at teacher housing and only hang out with other teachers that feel alienated... wonder why....

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Archived