Forums are back in action! ×

Employment!

MalcolmOwen

In November I was made redundant from my callcentre job of 7 years doing outsourced customer care for a mobile phone network in the UK. Same time I moved out of where I was living due to the landlord performing renovations, so have stayed with part of my family in the middle of nowhere. Almost literally. I mean, there's farms and a caravan site. If I wanted a clerical or admin job, I'd have to go on a bus for an hour a day and end up going into another yet smaller callcentre doing work that made me clinically depressed.

After New Year, I was getting bored of being stuck in the house with no money and no nearby friends. February, the cabin fever hit to the point where I started looking into starting a business: legalities, training etc. I blogged more about tech on a hobbyist site I made, I learned how to make bread, and I found out way too much about the tax system than I really needed to go into.

About a fortnight ago, I saw a proper tech site was advertising for a full-time writing position. Since I had to apply to jobs to get my Jobseeker's Allowance (Unemployment Benefits in UK Government Speak), I went for it and expected not much.

I was asked for an interview.

I then had a job offer.

I started on Monday, worked through the week and am over the moon with being able to do a job that I wanted to do for a long time and effectively did as a hobby, but now as a proper, honest to goodness, JOB!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Now, back to my Associated Press Stylebook...

Archived