Forums are back in action! ×

Anyone know about what credit card debt assistance programs to trust?

Good Row G

My husband and I were skating by making payments on a large credit card balance, expecting life to settle down and his business to take off so that we could pay more. Which they have. But just when I was looking forward to making some progress, we got hit with a monster tax bill. Ouch.

So, we've manned up, are doing what we need to, and one thing we've got to consider are the credit card debt assistance programs. We can make our payments, but they're a lot, and lowering the interest would be a big help. Not necessarily at the cost of a hit to our credit score, or getting into anything shady. I'm very suspicious.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Once and future ranger.

Thanks, Loren. I've long suspected the debt reduction / management / consolidation / reduction schemes were bad news and steered clear. But staring down the barrel, I thought I needed to research all my options.

Just put a hold on the TMM at my library and will pick it up tomorrow. Hadn't wanted to get into a self-help book, but maybe that's exactly what I need. Hubby and I are pretty good, but not good enough that we couldn't use a financial life change instead of insanely hoping the same behavior will turn things around eventually. Thanks for the recommendation!

Once and future ranger.

+1 on Total Money Makeover. My family has been struggling w/ debt for a few years now, and after reading that book, we made a few changes and finally started making some progress. We won't be debt-free (other than the mortgage) this year, but should be next year. Nice to finally see an end in sight.

A lot of the times you can call the credit card companies and lay out your situation and they will work with you. They prefer some money to no money. Ask them for a temporary payment plan where you can lower the monthly payment and the interest for just a bit while you get caught up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Horror Geek Half Dwarf Adventurer!

My Challenge Thread is here.

I have zombies to outrun! Failure is not an option!

A lot of the times you can call the credit card companies and lay out your situation and they will work with you. They prefer some money to no money. Ask them for a temporary payment plan where you can lower the monthly payment and the interest for just a bit while you get caught up.

Yep, definitely this. Ramsey talks about this in the book as well. :)

Not a Ramsey fan at all.

Also not a fan of any of those assistance programs.

I paid off 20k+ (I think the total was over 22k, actually, I need to do the numbers) last year by:

-asking for lower interest rates

-moving money around to the lowest interest cards possible

-buying everything on credit cards and using points to purchase items i need

-Putting EVERY penny I can towards paying off debt, leaving no extra spending money in my bank account

-Never carrying cash

-making a budget and sticking to it (a TIGHT budget)

-selling things I didn't need

-picking up some freelance work and putting 100% of the extra money towards bills

I know it gets overwhelming, and I was in that hole of that for a very long time, but it's really that simple.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
The only good credit card is a dead one =P

I don't really believe that. I love my credit cards. I get a lot of points and rewards from using them.

Used correctly, they're awesome.

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Used correctly, they're awesome.

Then you're not their ideal customer. They rely on people signing up, not knowing how to use them correctly and paying regular monthly charges even when they no longer use them. A lot like certain gyms ;)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Then you're not their ideal customer. They rely on people signing up, not knowing how to use them correctly and paying regular monthly charges even when they no longer use them. A lot like certain gyms ;)

That just depends on who's definition of correctly you want to use. Someone like spezzy, or the banks. ;) We've got a card that we use exclusively for the points it earns us. We pay that card off each month, and in turn, we usually earn enough points each year to take the family off to Disneyland.

Not a Ramsey fan at all.

Also not a fan of any of those assistance programs.

I paid off 20k+ (I think the total was over 22k, actually, I need to do the numbers) last year by:

-asking for lower interest rates

-moving money around to the lowest interest cards possible

-buying everything on credit cards and using points to purchase items i need

-Putting EVERY penny I can towards paying off debt, leaving no extra spending money in my bank account

-Never carrying cash

-making a budget and sticking to it (a TIGHT budget)

-selling things I didn't need

-picking up some freelance work and putting 100% of the extra money towards bills

I know it gets overwhelming, and I was in that hole of that for a very long time, but it's really that simple.

Yep, totally agree. Ironically, spezzy, that's a lot like what Ramsey says to do.

Yep, totally agree. Ironically, spezzy, that's a lot like what Ramsey says to do.

I'm not a Ramsey fan because of the religion aspect of it all.

I've never read his book, but in reality - its probably close to what he says to do because in order to pay off debt, really the key is to spend less and take in more. :)

That's true you can exploit credit cards a little bit =) but if you're keeping a balance on that card at all you are wasting money. They're horrible things.. banks are horrible things in general. They make a heap of money out of people misusing credit cards (or using them "correctly" I guess.. since the real goal of a credit card is for the bank to make money) =)

This isn't really true either. I've never paid a penny of credit card interest, but Amex is still very happy to have me as a customer. I generate a lot of merchant fees for them :).

...if you're keeping a balance on that card at all you are wasting money.

This is true.

They're horrible things.. banks are horrible things in general.

This is just ignorant "occupy" rhetoric. Banks play a crucial role in any developed society. Good luck buying your first house without a bank loan. Yes, they borrow money at low rates (by taking in deposits or issuing debt/equity securities) then lend it out at higher rates, but banks are profit seeking entities. I mean, your grocer buys meat from the butcher at $1 per pound at sells it to you for $4, but no one thinks grocers are "horrible things in general."

Yes, certain banks have engaged in predatory practices (processing debits before credits, for example), but this is true of companies in any industry. That is not the same as "banks are evil."

Came here to say Dave Ramsey, LW beat me to it. I agree with Spezzy that I'm not big on the religion aspect of his writing/show but I can roll with it pretty well. While I don't follow his plan I do get inspiration from it.

As for card/no card, I pay my credit card off weekly. I'm a little odd though...

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

This is just ignorant "occupy" rhetoric. Banks play a crucial role in any developed society. Good luck buying your first house without a bank loan. Yes, they borrow money at low rates (by taking in deposits or issuing debt/equity securities) then lend it out at higher rates, but banks are profit seeking entities. I mean, your grocer buys meat from the butcher at $1 per pound at sells it to you for $4, but no one thinks grocers are "horrible things in general."

Yes, certain banks have engaged in predatory practices (processing debits before credits, for example), but this is true of companies in any industry. That is not the same as "banks are evil."

And agreed. Some banks are horrible. That does not mean that banks in general or as a concept are horrible.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

really the key is to spend less and take in more. :)

Yup.

Thanks for the support and guidance, guys. I am facing our situation and making the best choices I can, but honestly I'm grieving. I had my heart and soul set on paying off credit cards and having a financial buffer. Now there's more money coming in, but instead of security, that'll just go to digging out of the hole. Which is how it should be. But I didn't anticipate the huge tax.

My dad was such a sweetheart, and told me that my desire to save money was absolutely out of the question right now. Right now is about survival. Treading water until I get a higher paying job, or the business grows. Baby steps. Optimus prime and all.

You'll know things are good when I switch my avatar to one of me in a NF t-shirt. When I can buy that, I'll be good. It'll happen, just patience, care and time.

Thanks for the support.

:tranquil:

Once and future ranger.

Archived