Forums are back in action! ×

Angry workout

champjklccmk

Hey guys! I need some advice here as I'm rather at a loss what to do... My workout session today was pretty bad... Apart from the gym being packed with people that my routine was very slow, I had a fight with my girlfriend just before I went... So by the time I started, I was pretty pissed off... However, as I was doing my routine, I noticed that my ability to use my strength was completely out of wack... I got tired faster, my concentration was all over the place, and my lifts were extremely dissapointing... I got worried because I actually did worse than when I first started going to the gym about a month ago... Half an hour of that was enough to wipe me out with not much to show for it... I went home before I embarrassed myself further...

Now my questions are, what the heck happened to me and should I have continued my session despite my less than stellar state?

Your emotional state can definitely affect your workout. Sometimes, you might be angry, but still in that "zone" where you can use it to work harder. Other times, it's just this huge thing over you that you can't work around. As long as you're not going to hurt yourself, there's no real harm in continuing, but take some time beforehand to calm down and get yourself back together. Take a few laps in the pool, do some yoga, lengthen your warmup -- whatever will distance you from what happened before you got to the gym.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I agree with Corbab, despite what movies would have you believe it seems to me that it's more common that being angry has a negative impact on your workout. I know for sure that when I'm sparring in kickboxing I do much better when I'm relaxed than when I'm frustrated about something. That being said I've also found my running is generally better when I'm in a worse mood, so it can go either way

You can use your anger in a positive way if you remember to stay focused on the task at hand. If your mind is all over the place then you are probably not paying attention to your form which can have a serious negative impact on your performance. If I have a bad day I try to direct it towards the weights and by the time I'm down I feel relaxed.

This is a great question! I went to a workout about 2 weeks ago really pissed off and my trainer noted it immediately. He rearranged my workout to include a slightly longer warm up and then I got to do what I like to call "tasks" - jump on a box, flip a tire, whack a tire with a sledge hammer (whacking really works for me). I really like functional fitness stuff when I'm kind of pissed. Otherwise I need to be really focused to lift. Cardio also works for me when I'm distracted. Rowing, especially, once I get in the rhythm with the music, I actually start chilling.

Clearly, you'll figure out what you can do when you've had "those" days. I think my husband likes crossfit for those days - he's with other folks, it's positive, it's fun - gets his mind off stuff.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Yup... I'm with everyone else. If I'm angry going into a workout, particularly one that requires any kind of focus, then it's lost. The only exception to this is that I've found that anger can work in *very* short bursts during a workout if it's a simple, well-practiced activity. My best example is that one time I was doing heavy squats, and this woman insisted on talking to me *during the set*. I was able to use that and slap on another 20 pounds for my next set :)

Sounds like a good day for a sledgehammer workout.

amen. or tire flipping.

ooooh, just thought of this = sprinting.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Simmering fury and beer contributed to not one, but two recent PR sessions.

I'm not saying it's smart or healthy, but in those instances, it worked. :P

Interesting article on the matter: http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/antagonistic-motivation/

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Weird twin moment, I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Honestly, I kicked more ass than I thought I could. It was amazing, but I think it depends from person to person. (Side note, are you secretly my alter ego?)

Don't write a check with your mouth you can't cash with your ass

It sounds like stress may have affected you more than anger. I know when I'm stressed the quality of my workout drops. I wish I could channel anger for things but it takes a lot to get me really mad. That said, the idea of a sledgehammer workout when stressed sounds fantastic. I also wouldn't mind throwing shot put to alleviate anger/stress.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Anger vs stress.

Focused rage vs disharmonic thoughts screaming through your head.

I reckon you should have continued training, but if you feel that you're unable to make your usual numbers, change your workout like so many other people have said. Mind you... most gyms don't have sledgehammers or tyres.... perhaps make it a lighter workout and just focus on the form instead of anything else or grind out k's on the bike or rower and focus on the black spot.

Let your training help control and direct your mind.... woooosah..

@KW, that was a good 70sBig post, missed it till you brought it up. Cheers.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Honestly it depends on the particular exercise. Anger/frustration can give you more energy, but your form may also suffer. I find that on my deadlifts I just need to suck it up and pull(and thus anger/intensity helps), while on my bench press bad form usually results in wasted energy - I do better there when I'm able to summon maximum focus and maintain steady, clean lifts.

For me personally, running has always been a good way to unwind when stressed. Back when I was doing 80-hour weeks, running was about the only thing keeping me sane.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

To me it depends on if it's rage or frustration.

If it's rage, then I notice an increase in performance. I can get and keep myself in the zone when enraged. But if it stems from frustration, finding the zone is like holding water in my hands: it keeps leaking away.

hm, with me anger works well. I try to focus myself into doing things almost meditatively/contemplatively. So to give an example if I'm deadlifting I try to imagine that the weight on the bar is the emotional weight crushing me and I'm lifting it away, for me it helps to focus on each little problem and keep lifting with focus on form until I feel like I've lifted it away. It's usually when I either come up with solutions to a problem or am able to just go "well, there's nothing I can do about that so don't get stressed".

They/them please

Wow! Thanks for the replies! I'll try them out and see which ones work for me... Honestly, looking back on it now, it was a stupid fight and a stupid reason for making my routine suffer... Maybe next time I'll just do some long distance running or take a bat to a sandbag... Thanks guys!

bat to sandbag is awesome. I used to love actually going to a batting cage or whacking tennis or golf balls. If you're really pissed whacking a wiffle ball takes it all right out of you quickly because it's so pointless you don't stay ramped up. LOL.

I AM going the distance

bat to sandbag is awesome. I used to love actually going to a batting cage or whacking tennis or golf balls. If you're really pissed whacking a wiffle ball takes it all right out of you quickly because it's so pointless you don't stay ramped up. LOL.

I can't believe I almost forgot. Hitting tennis balls against a wall = very effective therapy session.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

When you are angry, try doing explosive movements (like a bat to a sandbag or sledgehammering for example). Having a release when angry (or even sad, though the tempo needs differ) is amazingly healthy if you can focus it the right way. Using it while working out has a double benefit, not only are you getting that release, but working out releases "happy hormones", so you can actually calm down by the end of it.

Archived