Forums are back in action! ×

Exercise Headaches

msuroo

Does anyone else get these?

It just started happening to me (about 2 weeks ago). Every time my heart rate gets up I get a splitting headache. I was hoping it was a temporary thing, like I wasn't rested enough, or well hydrated enough, or whatever, but it's still happening consistently. I can prevent them if I take some Excedrin about an hour before I workout, but I'd really prefer not to need to do that every day.

Any thoughts?

I was getting them when I was working out on my old plan. I believe they were from skull crushers and other similar over the head movements and were actually really bad muscle spasms going up my neck. My husband got them once too and actually had to take muscle relaxers it was so bad. I attributed mine to lousy form and not enough rest between exercise days. But never really knew. I've not had another one since. But for about 2 months there it was terrible.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I get these in the heat when I'm exerting myself, but if it isn't heat related, I'd think about going to the Dr.

p.s. Not super embarrassing at all. You're getting some. What's up with that?

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

Might? Unaccounted for head pain sounds like an EXCELLENT reason to consult a professional. The underlying problem could be very very serious.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Could be excess tension in your neck/back, could be dehydration, hard to say. Darn near anything can be the cause of a headache, might want to consult a professional.
Might? Unaccounted for head pain sounds like an EXCELLENT reason to consult a professional. The underlying problem could be very very serious.

Sorry, yeah. I wasn't intending on only consulting a message board in lieu of my doctor. I've spoken to him, and have a proper appointment set up for when I return from my trip next week.

Random web searching suggests that it could be anything from "BFD" to a brain tumor, but is generally pretty harmless and not all that uncommon. I guess I was more interested to see if anyone else had experienced this.

I get similar when I run, but I always assumed that was because of my size - and the fact that my heart rate shoots up when I do that! Never had a problem when lifting, though - and from a recent doctor's appointment my blood pressure is pretty normal. Apart from that the only headaches I tend to get are when I'm not drinking enough. YMMV, of course!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nairoz, Half-Orc Adventurer

STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 5 | WIS 1 | CHA 2

Any chance it's blood pressure related?

That's what I was thinking. Not normal blood pressure, but pressure does increase during exercise, especially while performing valsalva. I bet the headaches you're getting are pressure headaches too.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

That's what I was thinking. Not normal blood pressure, but pressure does increase during exercise, especially while performing valsalva. I bet the headaches you're getting are pressure headaches too.

I mean, it certainly could be a pressure headache. I admittedly don't know the difference - I've never really had headache problems before (that weren't hangover related, anyway). Running makes it way worse than lifting though, so I'm not sure about your valsalva theory.

If its cheap/free In your country go ask someone with some expertise haha. Internet forums are great for brain storming but when it comes to personal health its always better to ask an expert. Can never tell who's giving good advice!

You saw that part where I have a proper doctor appointment arranged, right? I was certainly not turning to the forums for my only source of medical advice, just looking for other experiences.

I mean, it certainly could be a pressure headache. I admittedly don't know the difference - I've never really had headache problems before (that weren't hangover related, anyway). Running makes it way worse than lifting though, so I'm not sure about your valsalva theory.

You saw that part where I have a proper doctor appointment arranged, right? I was certainly not turning to the forums for my only source of medical advice, just looking for other experiences.

Ahh sorry no, I sometimes miss stuff when replying from my phone. =P forgive me for my ignorance.

msuroo, I was getting these a few weeks ago. I got them from overexerting myself doing too many pullups/pushups. I just laid off those two exercises for a couple weeks and the headaches went away and I haven't gotten them since. I think what happened is that I pulled a muscle or something in the back of my neck and so a headache would flare up whenever I was doing back exercises. So, just lay off those exercises for a couple weeks and your muscle should heal itself and you can pick up pretty much where you were before. At least, that's how it worked out for me.

The main difference I can see is that my headaches didn't flare up when I was running, so I was able to keep doing that. If there are some forms of exercise you can do without causing the headaches to flare up, I'd recommend doing them so that you don't fall completely out of step with your workout routine.

But, I'm pretty sure you've got the same thing that I had. I had the same issues when messing around.

i get them when i do my volume day where i superset OHP and Deadlift for 10 x 10 (from reading this i'm betting it's a pressure headache, though it's the only workout i fast before so it could be that for me to)

tbh it's a headache, anything can cause them really

I get them almost everytime too. I discovered mine was caused by one of two things. Either i was dehydrated or its been to long since ive ate anything. Now, i drink a protein drink and at least a glass of water before starting. Then, i drink water troughout the workout. Hope this helps!

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Archived