Forums are back in action! ×

Quitting my job

RaeVynn

and, yes, this is a Woot.

I got sucked into my job kind of sideways, and I've finally put my foot down, and said "enough!"

It started as a temporary position, then I was sort of shoved into the job I'm in so that I would be able to get into a permanent position later, when one opened up.

Well, even though one has opened up, I really don't want it. Yes, it's good to have a job (trust me, I am a responsible adult, I am aware of how important an income is), but this is not the right time/position/location for me. I've spent seven months in a job I absolutely LOATHE, because it was such a "great opportunity"... well, you know what? my health is suffering. I'm not sleeping. I hate my boss, and I never see my husband. Besides that, I'm not getting my college work done, as I'm gone 60 freakin' hours a week.

Today I talked to my husband, and bawled my eyes out (not on purpose), and we decided that yes, I can indeed quit, so I am. Tomorrow. It's my last day. I'm done.

When I've finished my degree program and have my bachelor's, we'll talk. I'll find a better position. This will work out better. I'll be healthier, happier, and better rested.

We're calling it an "educational sabbatical"

I was in that same situation two years ago. I decided I needed to go and had support of my wife. Now I'm in a better paying job, work less hours and get to do what I love, which is coding. Congrats, and I look forward to hearing that you have received your degree!

Rants about the educational system in general aside, education is so much more important than a stop-gap job. That piece of paper means so much (unfortunately) and once you have it, you will have so many more opportunities!

Congrats on recognizing a bad situation and getting yourself out of it :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I've typed up my resignation letter... today is the day!

I plan to work most of the day, then turn in my resignation, clean out my cubicle, and go. fortunately, I learned long ago to decorate lightly... not a lot of frills in my cube. Mostly photographs - easy to transport.

Did I mention I am giving up a state job? yeah... not only am I a government worker, I work for an agency all the other govt workers wanna work for... and I'm still giving it up.

The up side... my former boss there is behind me about 90% on this... he told me he'd argue about it if I still worked for him, but he understands...

I've typed up my resignation letter... today is the day!

I plan to work most of the day, then turn in my resignation, clean out my cubicle, and go. fortunately, I learned long ago to decorate lightly... not a lot of frills in my cube. Mostly photographs - easy to transport.

Did I mention I am giving up a state job? yeah... not only am I a government worker, I work for an agency all the other govt workers wanna work for... and I'm still giving it up.

The up side... my former boss there is behind me about 90% on this... he told me he'd argue about it if I still worked for him, but he understands...

This is so awesome for you. Imagine how you'll feel tonight... tomorrow... in a week. It is really awful to be stuck in a crappy job. My health and overall well being improved every time I left a crappy job.

BTW, I gave up a tenured professorship. Yup. Being a prof totally sucks. Best career decision I ever made. Who cares if you are giving up a government job? YOU DO!!! Whoo hoo!!! (I also gave up government jobs too... LOL).

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

This is so awesome for you. Imagine how you'll feel tonight... tomorrow... in a week. It is really awful to be stuck in a crappy job. My health and overall well being improved every time I left a crappy job.

BTW, I gave up a tenured professorship. Yup. Being a prof totally sucks. Best career decision I ever made. Who cares if you are giving up a government job? YOU DO!!! Whoo hoo!!! (I also gave up government jobs too... LOL).

Cline,

If I may ask, what totally sucked about it for you? I went into my phd program (higher ed admin) thinking I would use the degree to move up to a directorship, but lately I've been getting the itch to try for a TT gig at a library school. I've worked in higher Ed for 7 years so I know the basics, But it's one thing observing what seems to stress our profs out and another to experience it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

I let myself stay in a bad job for three years before I got serious about finding a better job. Now I have a wonderful job and it makes a world of difference. Management and the type of work you do makes a huge difference. My manager just got me a raise without me even asking because she said I was doing a wonderful job! I had to fight tooth and nail with my old manager to get a raise... it was like he was the enemy. At my new job, my manager and I are on the same team :)

I enjoy going to work! Who'da thunk???

All that to say that if you are in a job you hate, find a better job! Don't wait forever!

Ready to get fit and strong!

Good for you! I quit a lucrative, prestigious job to stay home full-time with my kids when they were younger, and have NEVER regretted it. And yes, I did manage to get back into the workforce -- but on my own terms, in my own way, and at the right time. There isn't enough money in the world to make me go back to what I used to do.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

Okay...

Um.. I didn't quit. Before you boo and hiss... I'll explain.

I was going to quit. But,... I have a tentative job offer from a great manager for a part time gig.. I just can't quit in between. It won't be official until Monday, when he can push the paperwork through, but I'll have 2 days per week FREE to pursue my college coursework, plus I get to KEEP my govt bennies... and, he's a great boss (I've worked for him before)... he sat me down, and talked me off the cliff edge, and let me cry all over his office and decimate (yes, I do know what the word really means) his kleenex box. And he wants me to work for him THAT MUCH. Even though I totally flaked out.

It wouldn't be so bad if I just quit, except I couldn't ever work for him again (I'd be black balled from the agency/state employment), and the other issue.. right now, I'm "bread winner"... yes, we could make it on what my husband is bringing in, but it would be tight... maybe a little uncomfortable.

So, after many tears, attacking a few people's boxes of tissues, and having a lovely margarita with dinner with my husband (who is the most supportive man ever), we've decided that instead of me quitting, I take the part time gig, and HE will take over one of my other "responsibilities" that I've been trying to juggle (unsuccessfully), which will reduce my stress just a bit more, as well.

Why boo and hiss? Sounds like you were presented with a new option and made a sensible financial decision that will still improve your situation :) Congrats!

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

We would never boo and hiss (well, I wouldn't, anyway). If you had decided to stay with the crappy job that makes you sad and unhealthy forever, we would probably try to gently prod you into reexamining whether that was a good idea. But at the end of the day, only you can make that decision for yourself. You made the best decision for yourself and your husband, and that's exactly what you're supposed to do. Woot!

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Congrats! I know how scary it is to quit a job... I've done it before. I was in almost the same position as you. But don't worry, you will find a new job that is a perfect fit.

Just don't forget all you learned at that job, even if they did take a lot from you, be the bigger person and tell yourself that even if they did treat you like crap, you got experience and you learned something.

Best of luck! If you don't mind me asking, what are you going for with your bachelors?

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead, some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat and I'm ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me." - Dr. SeussThe miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham

Awesome! Good luck! :)

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead, some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat and I'm ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me." - Dr. SeussThe miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham

This is SO FREAKING AWESOME! What I love is this....you literally "let go" of this problem and chose to LOVE YOURSELF so much that you said enough....even though you knew there were going to be issues you moved forward to make yourself happy...

and a strange thing happened....

The universe bent over backwards to give you the PERFECT opportunity! All the points you stated as issues were taken care of~ OH whoo hoooo! so proud of you!

I too left my employment at a very prestigious advertising agency and took a 2/3 cut in overall income to raise my girls. That I hated my job and felt dishonor in it was one of the most important parts of my decision.

big hugs and hand me a margarita baby!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

I wish you nothing but the best! The hardest thing I have ever had to do on a single income (Mine) with a wife and two kids was to leave my job and continue down the path to completing my education. It has been almost a year since I returned from Iraq for those very reasons and we're hanging in there! It can be done!

--

Josh Ray

RealMeanRealDads.com

"Fearless. Intelligent. Devoted to Family."

"I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death." -- Nas

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Josh Ray, level 1 Human druid

STR 1|DEX 0|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 6|CHA 4

[/TABLE]

Archived