Forums are back in action! ×

Kettlebells vs. dumbbells

Elastigirl

I have a little extra money to spend on exercise stuff. I'm trying to decide bettween kettlebells or dumbells. There are some really cool workouts with kettlebells and they may energize me because its just something differant. But dumbells are cheaper. So, if you only had a set amount to spend and may not be able to buy more for another 6 months what would you buy?

The kettlebell set I'm looking at is 10 lb, 20lb, and 25 lb. I really think I need a set. Seems like for different exercises you would want differant weights. Plus, you need to move up more weight as you progress, right?

If you go dumbbells do you do a set of two of the same weights or differant weights for those too?

I'm hoping to buy the Rebel Strength Guide for Women, does that Rebel Strength guide use dumbells? Maybe I should get dumbbells if I need them for that guide.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'd get the kettlebells 'cause they're awesome. If you get dumbbells get the adjustable kind.

Kettlebells are nice because they are a really good conditioning (and fat burning) tool. Dumbbells are more adjustable allowing a better progression and free weights are more efficient at building strength. I haven't read the strength guide, but I think they have a dumbbell workout, but not a KB workout.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I would also go with the kettlebells for the sheer awesomeness. Sloth-like said it perfectly with the differences -- what are your goals? If you just want to get "fitter," the kettlebell is a great way to get there, but if you want to follow a specific plan or start lifting, the dumbells are the way to go.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I'm a fan of kettlebells. While they are more expensive, you can do a lot more with them. Most dumbbell exercises you can do can be done with kettlebells, and because the weight is off center, it engages the stabilizing muscles more. Plus swinging weights around is just fun.

To offset the cost a little, you can progress past the weights you have by grabbing two kettlebells in one hand. Works the grip muscles really well too.

Kettlebells all the way! I find them much easier to handle than dumbells.

I wouldn't waste money on some of the really lighter ones (unless you have a medical reason for needing light ones) I started with an 8KG bell and it was HEAVY at first but I can manage it now on everything except Turkish get ups...its still a little heavy for my left arm at the moment but I'm sure I'll get there. Maybe you can get a 5KG bell for some of the arm exercises like the one I mentioned.

Hmm.. sounds like most votes go for kettlebells. Think I'll buy me some kettlebells for the next challenge. Squee, I can hardly wait to start!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Kettlebells FTW!!!! I have a 5lbs,10lbs,15lbs that I got because they were on sale and two 35lbs that were made from molten metal not the machine made ones. The 35 pair cost over $200 but were well worth it.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nocturnis, Level 1 Half Elf Ranger

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

[/TABLE]

Archived