Forums are back in action! ×

New Chat Room!

spezzy

Hi Everyone!

We have decided to get rid of the chat at the bottom of the screen and go with an IRC based chat room instead.

This is due to many different reasons, but mostly because this one is more versatile and reliable and has the option to use on your mobile phone!

Webchat: http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=nerdfitness

If you want to configure your own client:

List of servers is here: http://www.quakenet.org/servers

channel name: #nerdfitness

If you're looking for a good client, I use Colloquy (for Mac) http://colloquy.info/. I don't use windows but http://xchat.org/ was recommended.

If anyone has a good suggestion for clients/phone clients feel free to include below!

I'm pretty new to IRC so I hope all this makes sense :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Fantastic. Glad you guys went with quakenet!

iPhone users, Colloquy for iPhone is fantastic for this.

If people have questions about how to use any of this, feel free to PM me. I've been using IRC for years.

Also, keep in mind when you use quakenet without an account, it will show your ip address. To avoid this, you can sign into Q. Basically, it's signing up for quakenet with an email and password.

Nice! I just found out the other day that we had a chatroom at the bottom of the screen, but I'm more likely to participate now - I'm on IRC in various channels pretty all day long.

Adium also has limited IRC support, but it's not that great (for IRC). It will allow you to combine with AIM, MSN, gChat, etc. though. If you're on a Mac, I like Textual.

Am I the only who isn't in love with this? I like popping into the chat room, it was convenient down the bottom there, even though it had limited functionality. I really don't see me launching IRC to chat.

It will get better. Comet Chat was extremely clunky. It was crashing stuff.

spezzy says they have plans on integrating the web chat into the forum to make it more convenient.

Wow IRC...total throwback!!

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

I use irssi in a screen session - but I'm a total nerd and want to be able to access it from anywhere >_> It's not a user-friendly way to do it for most, though.

Half Dragon, Half Elf, Level 0.5 Assassin - I flame people when cranky, but I'm seriously kickass.STR 4 | DEX 2.5 | STA 3.25 | CON 5 | WIS 8.75 | CHA 4 | Challenges: 1  2 3 4 5 | myFitnessPal | Spreadsheet | fitbitChallenge 6, Back to the assassin's rootsBlog: float knowledge return wisdom;

Photography

I just did a quick search for android IRC and there are lots of apps. Any IRC client for Android will work.

Lots of apps that claim to support IRC but they just seem to be IM apps. I have Xabber already and tried Trillian, both claim to support MUC but neither has an option to join the chat room at the Quakenet server.

Also, I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing as I've never used any IRC clients. :topsy_turvy:

EDIT: Ok, I found 2 Android apps that work. AndChat and Yaaic.

I love pidgin and didn't realize it did rooms. Will have to check it out at work tomorrow

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Archived