Forums are back in action! ×

Push-up headaches: the question that answers itself

Good Row G

My friends and I are in a push-up challenge, where we do 10 x # of the month push-ups a day. So far I've been perfect, and when I occasionally miss a day, I make up the push-ups the next day. Things were going pretty well, and I'm proud of my form, on my toes, straight back, and head up like I'm looking at a drill instructor.

Saturday I had a problem. I was generally run down, but among my other problems was a headache and ache-y neck. so I skipped a day and drank some caffeine and felt a little better. Did my 40 yesterday, and today made up the missed exercises with 80 push-ups. And back is the headache and neck pain.

It seems clear that something I'm doing is wrong. My neck's not happy about the angle. But I'm so proud of what I thought was correct form, and it seems like a step back to put my head down for push-ups, and I don't want to drop out of the challenge.

Should I try to relax my neck more when I do push-ups and maybe have a friend watch me do them for over-craning? Or do I need to stop keeping my head up? Know this seems like an easy answer - but I don't want to loose what I've worked for or fall behind.

Ideas?

Once and future ranger.

If you are really straining to get that last push-up you can spike your blood pressure which can lead to short term headache feeling. It happens to me sometimes when i lift or do push-ups, i just try to remember to keep neutral positions and breathe regularly

Well I guess it's only life, it's only natural We all spend a little while going down the rabbit hole

So let me get this straight.

On the first day of the month you're doing 10, then the second day 20, etc until the last day you're doing 310?

Without any rest days?

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Ha, Spezzy, that would be nuts! No, sorry, January is 10 a day, Feb is 20, March 30. No rest days (the plan was dictated by our friend who's a maj. in the marines) which I thought was OK at least as long as the numbers are low. When we get closer to 100 I'm expecting to work some rest in.

So late So Soon, yes! I am both straining on the last few and breathing irregularly. I've been working on remembering to breathe. Relax, don't crane so much and breathe. Those I can do! Thanks!

MirGSS, Steve's post on push-ups is how I happily found NF! I believe he says to your head should be looking slightly ahead of you, not straight down. But I've been overdoing it I think. I missed the "slightly." Technique was always a weak part for me!

Once and future ranger.

Head up can lead to your nerves getting compressed which means you can get exercise headaches. Also, if the nerves get compressed the body can limit motor output. What that means is that you aren't able to do your pushups as well. Keep your head neutral like Steve recommends and you'll be fine, probably. If the problem persists, see a doctor.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

If I was a betting man, I'd say it's probably a combination of very few rest days and your head being too far up. I mean 40 a day is by no means a lot, but if you are doing other workouts on top of that it could very easily be wearing you out.

My general rule of thumb with my head is to find a spot about 3 feet in front of my hands and stare at it the whole time.

This might sound kind of odd, but I actually do pushups to take away my headaches. If I have something that Advil doesn't work I do something like 30 pushups while holding my breath. I know this is probably pretty bad because it puts my blood pressure through the roof, but it's never failed to take a headache away. Or it could be a placebo effect...

Shoryuken!

Archived