Forums are back in action! ×

don't be THAT guy at the gym!

spatzcat

Am I the only one who cringes watching all the "What not to do in the gym" videos being filmed exclusively on machines?

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Ok, wait, what did the show off do that was wrong? :dejection:

Everyone has a different idea of what showing off is. I remember I was working out at a YMCA getting training for a long backpacking trip and I was running on a treadmill at the highest elevation and highest speed for 30 minutes. I got of the machine and a old man that had been on the treadmill next to me walked up to me with a disgusted look and snorted, "show off." I remember thinking, "WTF, what did my effort have to do with you?"

Guest Snake McClain

i'm definitely the meathead from time to time. not doing the "WOOOOO" after the set or the drinks and such but the grunting when pushing something really heavy. sometimes it's all i can do to push that last rep or two. *shrug*

HAHAHA! I love that. I am totally seizure face!

Nah, I would argue that obviously the standard burpee wasn't challenging enough for him.:smug:

I kind of agree here. In yoga classes if the instructor shows a move that's too easy for me I modify it to a harder version... I worry about people thinking I'm a show off.

Full disclosure, I inwardly am kinda smug about it. :( I'm working on it! It's a crap attitude. But I'm also not going to just go easy on myself and have a less challenging workout.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Nah, I would argue that obviously the standard burpee wasn't challenging enough for him.:smug:

I agree with that. He'd be showing off if say 4-5 people were working out together doing burpees, and the guy came up and just started doing back flip burpees next to them, that would be kind of uncool. If he's by himself doing them or even in a class and needed to challenge himself more, then that's awesome.

This one's been around for a while, For the Runners:

That was hilarious. I also love that Journey song. I'm going to add it to my work out playlist.

Archived