Forums are back in action! ×

Where do I start?

A little about me:

I am a 36 year old software developer, husband, and father of two young boys. I used to be in good shape. At my peak I could run 5 miles under 45 minutes without a problem, bench 315, and squat 465. Fast forward several years of a horrible diet, inactivity, and a stressful job and you get me a year ago. I was on my third umbilical hernia when I decided to make a change. I lost about 45 lbs. but still have a ways to go. I really don't see me being a gym rat at this point. I just want to get in shape. I have had a few moments of exercise but nothing consistent. Anybody have a few suggestion? Anybody in the same boat and need motivation? Feel free to let me know.

Dwarf Monk

Challenge thread

Find an eating plan that seems to work for you (you seem to have that one)

Find and make time for a physical activity that doesn't make you cringe at the mere thought of it. Preferably something that will help ease or burn off stress.

Learn to get better at ignoring negative self talk, and fears of what other people might think of your less than ideal body working out.

Repeat.

And welcome aboard! We all are/were in the same hole, trying to get out.

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

From one mid-thirties-father-of-two-software-developper to another, I can tell you that you've come to the right place! Like Oklibarian said, diet's the key, but if you want to stay in shape without hitting the gym, it's hard to go past bodyweight exercises. There's plenty of great advice and friendly Rebels around to point you in the right direction, so I'm sure you'll find what you need. Great to have you aboard!

Welcome to the Rebellion!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

I didn't measure my weight until about 1.5 weeks into healthy eating and working out, but I'm guessing I'm coming up on 20lbs after 2 months. I did that by eating the right foods, bodyweight exercises, and running. Most of the time, I have a hard time eating enough food on a 1000-Calorie deficit. If you eat the right foods, you will have no problem losing weight, even if you don't count Calories or macros. There are lots of free programs out there for bodyweight exercises and running, or you can do the research of what makes a good program and put together one for yourself. Steve has some available for you in the Free Resources section of the blog.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

Archived