Forums are back in action! ×

Squatting is more of a workout for my arms than my legs?

DoogieT

Hey, all. I've been doing squats for a few weeks now but I never get to the point of failure in my legs. I started at 20 pounds in each hand but have moved up to 50 in a pretty short period of time. I find that it's more of a workout for my arms than my legs (my grip and my biceps). Will this level out as I go along? If it helps me build bigger biceps as I work, then so much the better. :)

Shoryuken!

I agree, see if the barbell will work for you know (assuming you have access). If you're at 20lbs each it's pretty close.

Your grip will improve as you continue on but I don't think it'll ever reach a place where your legs are getting the best workout because of limitations on grip. That's just my thought... I could be wrong.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

You shouldn't be focusing on your biceps while squatting—leave them for the chin-up bar. The barbell is probably the best way to go, as you're already loading some weight on at 100lb. Your legs are stronger than your arms, so dumbbells are probably slowing you down a bit at this point; I know I couldn't carry two hundred-pound weights in hand, but I can get it down and up pretty handily on a barbell.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Doogie, it most likely has to do with your form. Even if I'm just doing air squats without any weights, I can totally feel the burn in my legs.

Sounds like you're holding the weights at your sides. Like others have said, use a barbell. Or if you use dumbbells, put them up by your shoulders.

Check out this video on how to do a proper squat:

Latest: How to Get a Beach Bod in Only 15 Minutes a Day http://fitforlifepledge.com

Guest Snake McClain
Doogie, it most likely has to do with your form. Even if I'm just doing air squats without any weights, I can totally feel the burn in my legs.

Sounds like you're holding the weights at your sides. Like others have said, use a barbell. Or if you use dumbbells, put them up by your shoulders.

Check out this video on how to do a proper squat:

I agree with this. I do 100 squats in a row with no weight ans my legs feel it. By the time I hit 200on I'm toast (almost hehe). There has to be something else. If you can't hold more weight and don't have access to a barbell then I suggest doing squats with whatever you can hold until failure. Each time. Then lose the weights and go again.

Archived