Forums are back in action! ×

Well friends. It's been a while.

My last post was in 2015 when I was on a downward spiral that landed me where I am today. I gained back all the weight I lost plus more. My doctor had to estimate me at 460 lbs because his scale wouldn't weigh me.

I was at the doctor because two weeks previously I was admitted to the emergency room for a hypertensive crisis. My BP was through the roof and my arms and face were tingling. I was told I was at high risk for a heart attack/stroke so I immediately began eating better and avoiding sodium like the plague.

The fear drove me for a few weeks. I was having panic attacks nearly every night and resorting to meditative breathing to calm back down. constantly checking my pulse and feeling so hyper aware of my body that I could feel my pulse in my chest at nearly all times. I finally got my visit with a new GP (haven't seen a doctor since I was a kid) He took one look at me and the words "blood pressure" in my chart and lectured me for an hour to lose weight. So I started going for walks as much as I could and eating even better.

My scale finally clocked in about two weeks ago and as of April 2nd I weigh 438 lbs. I was so relieved that I was losing weight that I calmed down and now find myself slipping up every couple days. Eating way more processed carbs and dairy than I should. My calorie intake has been trending upward. I lost 3 lbs instead of the usual 5-8 lbs last week. I realize now that If I don't have fear to keep me honest I need something else instead. So I'm going to try accountability again. I plan on posting progress once a week here including pictures every Monday. See you then. 

PS I also use myfitnesspal if someone wants to DM me their username

• Like 3

"Talga Vassternich. Deserve Victory." - Wizard's Eighth Rule

Captain Drop's Introduction

Captain Drop's Battle Log

Welcome Back.  Good luck on your new lifestyle of healthy choices.  The transition from Fear to Accountability as your motivation is a great step in a positive direction.  Things have changed a little around here since 2015.  Check out the challenges, they are 4 instead of 6 weeks, so easier chunks to manage.  I look forward to seeing your progress.

• Like 1

Level: 2 Celt Adventurer

Str: 3 Dex: 2 Sta: 2 Con: 4.25 Wis: 4.75 Cha: 4

Challenges: 1 / 2

following. i'm excited to see your path. i'm glad you're here.

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

i love the Wizard's Rules.

Sometimes though, something commercial might be a good slogan for your journey as well - Nike's "Just do it". Not sure who to attribute this to, but on a more sardonic note - "If you are sick and tired of restarting all the time, stop giving up."

p.s.

I had a similar wake-up call to yours about 7 years ago (ie. medical tests: doctor telling me I was going to die if I didn't turn this ship around). Happily it is definitely possible to turn things around - today I am fitter, stronger, healthier than perhaps any other point in my life, just with small incremental changes in habits. 

• Like 1

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

I've just followed this thread, crossing fingers for your success ;) 

I hate to say that, but processed foods (especially heavy processed carbs with additives like high fructose corn suryp + salt) can be very addictive. It's scientifically proven that this type of foods can rewire reward centers in the brain, so the more you eat this stuff, the stronger the cravings are and the less satisfied you are with every bite. Luckily our brains are plastic enough to rewire after some period of time :)  There's plenty of videos on youtube about the subject, maybe that's what will help you to stay motivated and be aware of what is happening when you try to change your eating habbits :)

• Like 1

Training logs | Monthly updates

Player stats (as of 18.06.2018):

Weight: 68.4kg (150.8 lbs)

BMI: 22.9

Muscle mass: 56.2kg  (123.9lbs, around 82% of body mass)

Body fat: 14.8%

Circumferences:

- Chest: 84cm (33 inches)

- Belly: 82.5cm (32.5 inches)

- Buttocks: 91cm (35.8 inches)

- Thigh: 52cm (20.5 inches)

- Bicep: 30cm (11.8 inches)