Forums are back in action! ×

Hey Everyone, 

Been exploring the boards, still very confused as to stats and assigning points and the like, is there a nice handy beginners guide somewhere? 

As I do archery, I tentatively put myself down as an Assassin (help from above, yo, sniper type) but in reality I'm a nurse so I'm not sure that is correct. I live in a very small town with very few resources for fitness and I work crazy hours which doesn't help. None the less, I need to do something so I am trying to figure out what  I am and who I am. Why is there no healer class? ::grins: your clerics also need to be fit! 

I have access to a pool though not always energy to go (depression that I am currently dealing with with my physician and I am coming out of). I have a treadmill. I need to get back to using it. My love though, is archery. I would like to get into martial arts but nowhere locally runs on a decent schedule that is compatible with mine...3.30 in the afternoon? I can't just leave for an hour now can I? 

thoughts?

WELCOME!  

The classes are for fun, please don't feel pigeonholed by them.  No idea about the points, though.

As a chef, I fully understand about the crazy hours.  Mine are all over the place and I honestly gave up participating in hobbies with fixed schedules.  

You don't really need much in the way of fitness facilities, depending on your goals.  Apart from martial arts, what kind of activities/training modalities interest you?  I grew up on a farm, and can honestly say that small town living should have PLENTY of options for hiking, trail running, calisthenics and solo archery practice.  All you need for calisthenics is something to practice pulling motions on, whether it's a proper pull up bar, an exposed beam in the rafters, or a sturdy branch on a tree.  Rest just need the ground and sturdy shoes.
I don't know where you live, but there's gotta be some spot within a short jog or drive of town limits where you can set up an archery butt and practice.  Heck, make friends with a farmer, they may let you use a corner of a field and have an old hay bale lying around.  

Hi there @LilyP! I'm absolutely delighted that you found your way here - even though I've never picked up a legitimate bow in real life, I definitely consider myself a "help from above" type of character, so you are absolutely in the right place!

There is indeed a beginner's guide to help you find your way around:

And here is a description of each guild, so you can see where you think you might fit best:

Also, we don't officially use this anymore, but there's also a fun little guild generator that walks you through a meeting with a "wizard" who asks you questions and helps you choose your guild - it explains a little about the old points system too (STR / STA / CHA / etc.) if that's something you're interested in. (Again, the points system is not officially used anymore, but some people still give themselves points.)

Here is the wizard: http://darkfriends.fr/NFGenerator/index.php 

And lastly, there are lots of Healers in NF; we're just scattered among the guilds (because we're needed everywhere!). I'm a Healer, as is my guild leader, @Tanktimus the Encourager (he's more of a healer/cleric). You can be a Ranger Healer, Warrior Healer, Druid Healer, Monk Healer, Assassin Healer, Scout Healer ...  ;) 

Hopefully this wasn't all too overwhelming - please feel free to reply or shoot me a message if you have any questions! I'm so glad you're here and I'd love to help you get started on your Nerd Fitness journey!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers