Forums are back in action! ×

Hi all,

So I have been reading through the articles on Nerd Fitness, and finally decided to join the forum. I'm female, 5'5, about 120lbs, and sick of being a weed :3 I had been doing karate and zumba classes, but recently moved to a new city so I decided to join a gym after three months of procrastinating and not doing a lot.

I walk loads, which is probably why I've never had much problem with my weight, chalking up about 6-8 miles a day including walking to work and so on.

But I now want to start building up real strength, since I'm so weedy I can't even do a proper push-up. So I'm hoping I can get tips and guidance and support here about how not to be terrible in the gym, and how to build up my strength quickly and safely.

Looking forward to being part of the community!

Level 2 Human AdventurerStrength: 2.5 / Dexterity: 4 / Stamina: 2.5 / Constitution: 3.5 / Wisdom: 8 / Charisma: 3

CURRENT challenge thread

First challenge thread

Welcome! What kind of strength training are you interested in? Bodyweight? Dumbbells? Barbell? Crazy crossfitness?

Also, do you have specific goals you are working towards? Such as: deadlifting a bear.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I like the idea of bodyweight, because you can do it anywhere. I find a lot of the bodyweight exercises quite difficult to do though, and I'm never sure if I'm doing them right -- like, I used to do push-ups, but then my partner told me I was doing them wrong, instructed me on how to do them properly and then I found out I couldn't do them :3 So I've gone to knees-on-the-floor modifications.

I would love to be able to do 50 burpees, with proper form at every stage. That would rock.

Level 2 Human AdventurerStrength: 2.5 / Dexterity: 4 / Stamina: 2.5 / Constitution: 3.5 / Wisdom: 8 / Charisma: 3

CURRENT challenge thread

First challenge thread

Ohhh yeah that would be hardcore!

For the push ups, you might try incline (from a wall, counter, chair, etc). I found them to be more true-to-form than knee push ups - the knee ones don't engage your core like the incline ones do. Steve's got a post about how to do a push up.

He's also got a page of how-tos on the bodyweight exercises. If you find that overwhelming, you can ALWAYS ask and someone on here (likely several someones) will have an answer for you. Anyway...good luck! Definitely feel free to poke around on the forums and the free resources Steve has posted. This place has SO MUCH information and everyone is awesome :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Archived