Forums are back in action! ×

Starship's Battle back from the brink

I've been sedentary for quite some time. I'm over 300 lbs and its coming down slowly.

In 2009, ex-BF left me & I had to move in with the parents in small town Oklahoma. I had no friends, no job & didn't feel good about myself. I watched a lot of TV and ate a lot of junk.

Also, my family, like many others has issues & that made me depressed & because I felt depressed I ate more. I lived like that for almost 2 unbearably unhappy years. And I went from living in a cool, laid back college town to a small rural county where I DID NOT fit in & there was blatant racism. Another thing that made me depressed.

In 2011, I decided to change things and move back to Kansas to get additional education for a career change. I made a decision to get in "better shape" in January 2012. Also one of my instructors told my class that he'd gotten a fitbit for Christmas to help him track his exercise & eating goals.

I looked it up, liked fitbit & got one myself. Fitbit tracks steps, stairs climbed, food, BP, heart rate, sleep et cetera. So I began wearing it at work & whenever I had go from one floor to another, I'd take the stairs instead of the elevator. I slowly began increasing my exercise in that manner.

Each month I've exercised a little bit more than the month before. At first I was just walking in my neighborhood, but recently I've started using the recreation center. I walk on the treadmill, use the exercise bike or the elliptical and lift weights.

I haven't seen a lot of weight drop, but I can see where my muscles aren't as pudgy as before. My goal is to get to 200 lbs.

Starship: Scout

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | CON: 1 | STA: 1 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 2

Great to have you Starship. If you add weight lifting you're likely going to see more plateaus in your weight as you build muscle (a very good thing) at the same rate you drop fat, then all of a sudden you'll see a bunch of lbs fall off. That's what I've seen from others anyway. Keep at it and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've heard lots of good things about fitbit from friends from all levels of fitness.

good on you for picking yourself up and making the move up again.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Archived