Forums are back in action! ×

Solution for incredibly inflexible legs

Alright, I have a friend who can't seem to gain any flexibility. The muscles in the upper half of her legs are tight and hurt when she tries to stretch and during leg exercises, and she cannot reach straight down further than her knees, with her palm at her kneecap. My initial thought was that she just doesn't stretch enough and not in the right ways... trouble is, her doctor couldn't figure anything out. She's accepted that she just isn't flexible and will take her chances with any particularly nasty slips while playing soccer. Anyone have thoughts on how to help her improve her flexibility, especially the tight leg muscles? Sure, more stretching would help but some stretches that specifically target the upper half of the leg would be useful.

The one mobility WOD that seems to work really well (I think it is number 1) is to do a full squat with your feet absolutely flat on the floor and hold the position in the hole for ten minutes. you can come up to rest, but the idea is to develop the mobility over time to be able to hold the position for the full ten minutes.

Stretches the hammies, glutes and quads so should be pretty useful.

Doing a full squat, below parallel, with weight also does wonders for stretching tight leg muscles.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

Stretching is something that you have to work at. It becomes easy once you've worked until your flexible. She needs to make sure that she is stretching everyday and holding her stretches for at least 30 seconds. I've seen plenty of people as not flexible as you described eventually able to do full splits with enough practice. Yoga is great. As for the tops of the legs, reaching for your toes is the only way to eventually touch them. You just have to grab as far as you can and streeeeetch.

The one mobility WOD that seems to work really well (I think it is number 1) is to do a full squat with your feet absolutely flat on the floor and hold the position in the hole for ten minutes. you can come up to rest, but the idea is to develop the mobility over time to be able to hold the position for the full ten minutes.

Doing a full squat, below parallel, with weight also does wonders for stretching tight leg muscles.

That is indeed number 1.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Stretching after running for me is much easier and less painful. I gain 8-12 inches on how far I can bend to touch my toes depending on if I am warmed up or not.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Ditto on more stretching. I starting hitting up MobilityWOD yesterday, because my lower back is acting up and preventing me from being as flexible.

I think you should be more worried about your hamstrings than your lower back.

Sometimes a foam roller or tennis ball can help. Or masssage.

This.She needs to break down the facia.Also, have her stand with one foot on a ball (tennis ball size or so) and roll it under her foot for 60 seconds. Do the same with the other foot.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

The first time I did this was the longest 10 minutes of my life, but I felt amazing afterwards. Highly recommend the mobilitywod

Ditto on more stretching. I starting hitting up MobilityWOD yesterday, because my lower back is acting up and preventing me from being as flexible.
I think you should be more worried about your hamstrings than your lower back.

161803...... what makes you say that? I'm curious because I have the same problem. My lower back is hindering my flexibility more than my hamstrings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

161803...... what makes you say that? I'm curious because I have the same problem. My lower back is hindering my flexibility more than my hamstrings.

Because EVERYONE has inflexible hamstrings. Or well, nearly everyone. NOONE has an inflexible lower back. This is due to all the sitting we do nowadays. Because you spend so much time in that position, over time the hamstrings shorten, which makes you inflexible; you can't close the hips all the way with straight legs.

Try this: stand up straight and close at the hips (this means reaching down at your toes). DON'T, round your lower back. See if you can touch your toes. You'll feel the stretch in the hamstrings.

Furthermore, flexibility in the lower back isn't actually a very good thing, as flexibility without strength promotes injury, especially in the lower back where an catastrophic injury is pretty much for life. You'll want to keep on deadlifting and squatting for your lower back to keep strong.

i'll third the whole rolling on a ball thang, make sure when you find a hurty place hold the pressure until the pain starts dissipating (my chiropractor did this with his elbow on my hip and i hated it for him and it seemed to take ages but it bloody worked!)

Archived