Forums are back in action! ×

US Army Medic is a nerd, needs to reclaim his fitness

Yo.

So, I'm a Medic in the US Army. I did two tours in Iraq, didn't get injured, then came home and less than six months after I got off of Active Duty following my second tour...

I put my Harley into a wall on the interstate doing about sixty.

Fast forward two years.

I'm now in the Reserves, got two sons, a giant fricken' hole where a good portion of my left thigh should be, and about sixty pounds of lazy hanging around my torso that I will no longer tolerate.

I'm a nerd, and like many of you, I used to be in pretty good shape. Well, now I'm 29, and I will not enter my thirties as a lazy bag of fat. I have about ten months to do it to it.

Also, since I'm a father and full-time student, I'm broke, and a cheap-skate, so I'll be into the body weight side of things, with a good bit of jogging/running to boot.

So I figured Ranger guild, but then I realized that I really won't be doing anything other than body weight and running, so I'm thinking Assassins. But then, partially because I'm old school, and partially because I have no problems at all mixing fantasy worlds, I realize that James Kirk, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Abe Lincoln are all pretty much Rangers, and pretty much my heroes. Add to that the absolute, stone cold FACT that Aragorn would DESTROY Ezio in a fight... I think I'll go with Rangers.

Plus, I live in Dallas. ;)

Welcome YoDoc! Sounds like rangers are for you. I love having you military guys, you're always dedicated to putting the work in and don't make excuses not to. Thanks for your service and I'm glad to have you. Hurry and sign up for the challenge if you haven't already, you only have til tonight.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Wow, what a story! Glad to have you on board. And glad you've made it through your various adventures. Also, you have good taste in heroes! Welcome!

What's it like being in the Reserves? I'm thinking of signing up if/when I move back to the States. (I guess it must be very different coming to it from active duty though?)

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Wow, what a story! Glad to have you on board. And glad you've made it through your various adventures. Also, you have good taste in heroes! Welcome!

What's it like being in the Reserves? I'm thinking of signing up if/when I move back to the States. (I guess it must be very different coming to it from active duty though?)

I'm not a big fan of the Reserves, but I get the feeling from talking to friends in other units that it A)may just be my unit, and B) I came into the reserves from the biggest store-house of badass on the planet, the 82nd Airborne Division.

All in all, it's not bad, it's just not what I want. I'm a front lines, crawl in the dirt, sleep in the dirt, why is there a scorpion in my cereal kind of guy, and my unit is very... well... "In the rear with the gear" as it were. It's just not a good fit for me. That's not to say it's less-than, just not my bag.

Welcome fellow Texan! 10 months is a decent amount of time to get you to where ya want to be. Plenty of body weight info around these parts. I think you'll fit in juuuuuust fine here.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Archived