Forums are back in action! ×

Good thoughts needed

GoGo

I'm not generally a praying woman, but we got some awful news today. My grandfather, who in late-March was diagnosed with probable lung cancer, has been confirmed as having inoperable lung cancer with metastases to most of his body, particularly his spine and pelvis. He goes for his first round of radiation in the morning that will hopefully help ease the tremendous amount of pain he is in. He has deteriorated fast; going from raking the lawn and walking around town 3 weeks ago, to being unable to walk (with a walker) for more than 8 ft, and after that needing a wheelchair. The morphine he is on isn't helping, so they're upping the dosage and giving him more painkillers for the night time as he's unable to sleep. It's feared that by June he either won't be with us anymore or he won't be cognizant.

We are making the 3-day trip on June 3rd, but will leave sooner if we get the call that he's going faster.

I'm asking for positive thoughts, prayers, whatever you want to throw my way, that the radiation eases his pain and that he hangs on just until we get there to say goodbye.

My grandfather is the heart of my family on my paternal side and it won't be long after his passing before my grandmother joins him as neither one can live without the other. I'm in tears as I write this. I've been so lucky my entire life as only my maternal grandfather has passed on so far and I was only 9 at the time.

This is not fair, it's just not.

I'm so sorry. :( There is an extensive history of cancer in my family, so I know how hard it can be. If there's one piece of advice I can offer, it is to always remember his life and the memories he's given. Carry on the positive effects he has had, and smile for him. My prayers are with you. And if you ever want to talk, I'm more than happy to listen.

"Down there we know, the streets we know, but up here? Nobody's been here." ~ David Belle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm really sorry to hear this, my own grandfather passed away last september due to Brain Cancer so its quite hard for me to speak about this. He also deteriorated extremely fast and within a few weeks of confirmation

he was unable to move around.

In my experience the doctors did extremely well at easing his pain and getting him as comfortable as possible before he eventually passed on.

And they was able to move him so he could spend his last few days at home with my grandma.

I really hope they'll be able to do the same for your grandad. My thoughts are with you and your family.

I echo the sentiments above. So sorry to your about your Grandpa.

I would try and make the trip as soon as possible if you can.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

Archived