Forums are back in action! ×

shoulder problems

Morrigainz

So recently when I push things, my right shoulder feels like it's trying dislocate. Like I was standing in the power cage last night, and I was trying to move the hooks, and the little lock things are on the outside. So I grabbed the lock thing and pulled it out (okay so technically this was a pulling motion, not a pushing motion...whatevs, I haven't even had a whole cup of coffee yet) and my shoulder felt like it was about to pop out. It also seems to happen when putting 25-lb plates back on the pegs. I don't know if my shoulder is weak or if it's a strength problem or a mobility problem...what do y'all think?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The shoulder is a complex beast and it can be any number of things, from a strained muscle, to tendonitis, to impingement, to a torn labrum or rotator cuff.

Shoulder problems are caused by overuse, weakness (esp the small muscles in it), lack of mobility, tears, and a combination of them.

Regular and consistent mobility work and prehab is a necessity for anyone doing any strength training. Otherwise it isn't a question of if, but when, you will have shoulder problems.

Self diagnosing what the actual problem is can be very difficult, and typically issues don't go away on their own. Shoulder problems can take a long time to sort out.

I've been struggling through shoulder problems now for a few months and I think I starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it has been a long road, and I've had to radically change my strength training approach (a lot more static training) to really start seeing improvement.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

So I should start on mobility work yesterday. Or a month ago. Sounds like a plan.

It's weird because it doesn't hurt when lifting things...press/bench press doesn't hurt, DLs don't hurt, it's just when I get my shoulder out away from my body...if that even makes sense.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Perfect sense. Mine never hurt when I was warmed up. That was one of the bigger issues, I let it go too long without taking big steps because it felt fine during exercise.

But they got to the point where they were always in pain when I was at my desk at work. I started to get really hard to get pots, pans, dishes, and food out of cupboards. They started cracking and popping all the time, without a lot of motion.

Many of those symptoms that I had are a sign of impingment. Impingement is internal swelling that you can't necessarily feel or see. But the swelling tightens up the inside of the shoulder and makes it difficult for the tendons in it to move smoothly, which leads to more swelling, and more movement difficulty and so on. Impingement itself is a symptom of something else, in me I figured out that it was tendonitis of the long head of the bicep that caused the impingement. It took a lot of digging and a lot of variety in what I was feeling (it tended to feel a little different day to day and week to week) to finally ID this, a couple months of digging (though I figured out the impingement much earlier).

The only exercise that actually hurt that I knew was a problem was handstand pushups (OHP equivalent). It wasn't debilitating, but I could easily tell that they were a major contributer to the issue.

The other thing, broomstick dislocates, which are usually considered a rehab exercise for shoulder issues and a common shoulder mobility exercise, actually made it worse, noticably. Using a resistance band instead of a broomstick and really taking it easy with them and doing them lightly however helped a great deal and made them a very good exercise. For me my hands have to be able to move through the tough spots.

Also you probably want to add in basic shoulder strengthening exercises such as external and internal rotations (exp external rotations) in addition to mobility. They should be treated like rehab/prehab and not normal strength training, at a much lower effort level and nowhere close to failure. The secondary shoulder muscles are overly weak on practially everyone, the weakness is a primary cause of shoulder issues.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Try something for me Mir.

Stand with your right arm extended to your right. Now, without moving your trunk or upper body, pull your shoulder back (whole arm shoudl move a little closer), and push forward (your ROM is only like a couple inches in this plane). If you experience that sensation while doing this, then the problem is probably in the rear of your delt and/or scapula (the big flat bone connecting your shoulder to your rib cage). These muscle groups are responsible for transverse ab/adduction. If that's the case you might also get discomfort from rows and the ilk as well.

If I'm correct, then in addition to the Mob stuff, throw in some rows as well.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Push my shoulder forward?

That doesn't hurt. Unless I'm doing it wrong :P Is there a video or something of what you're talking about?

I have noticed popping/clicking in my shoulders in the past, but it's not accompanied by pain.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ok I explained it badly.

Ummm look up planes of the body. You should see pictures of the human body divided into three planes, transverse, sagittal, and coronal. I'm talking about moving your shoulder into and out of the sagittal plane. I guess 'sideways' is another way to describe it.

Ok, another tact: your shoulder is able to: rotate forwards and backwards. It can also translate forward and backward yeah? Your shoulder can actually translate (read, slide, or linear motion) in all 3D directions, forward backward, up down, left right. I'm looking for the left right motion.

A lot of people aren't even aware that you can move your shoulder in that direction. Like I said, it's only a couple inches, but you can :P

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Yeah, so one of two things is happening here:

a) the muscles meant to help hold your shoulder bone in its socket aren't strong enough to keep it in when forces are pulling it out.

B) the shoulder socket is compromised and/or too large for your shoulder bone, allowing transient dislocations.

Have you ever had a shoulder dislocation? If yes, well thurs yur perblem!

If not, then strengthening that surrounding musculature should help! Add rows into your routine, but verrrrry slowwwwwwlyyyyyy.

I'm struggling with seems to be a very similar shoulder issue as described here.

A few days ago I finally used a groupon for a massage (it was scheduled way in advance so I didn't mean for this to be injury related), and afterwards and since my pain is GREATLY improved. I worked out the next day and the usual days after pain was almost not even there (still some, but i was shocked at how dull it was compared).

I also changed my workout and cut out the OHP and found that to be helpful. The trainer at my gym noticed I stopped doing my normal routine and showed me a few stretches for that area specifically, but I have no idea if that is helping or hurting. NSAIDS!

Good luck!

Archived