Forums are back in action! ×

iatetheyeti: again and again and again

It's tempting to want to start off by saying this year was a tough one and so on, but we know it was. We know it was a year that strode right out of the hells and into our daily lives, and yet somehow it turned out to be my best year at the same time. Yes, I started off low (bad illness that was potentially Covid, closely followed by a major breakdown and a lengthy spell of sick leave), but I'm ending it on a high.

I'm actually happy.

I'm actually recovering.

And for the first time ever I have the chance to figure out who I really am, to know what truths have lain hidden behind the years of depression, anxiety, and worse, to understand what I actually want out of life and just how I might go about getting it. There's a whole lot to consider, and right now everything is in constant motion, subject to change without much in the way of warning. Kind of makes life planning a little difficult, but I do believe I am up to the challenge.

That said, I don't have a great track record with long term, well, tracking, so I'm taking inspiration from something I've come to love: Dungeons and Dragons.

Things will work partly the same way, and partly not.

I start at level one with a grand total of zero xp, and levelling will be xp based with values assigned to various tasks and doings. When I reach level two, I get to add one point to one of my stats. I've assigned different parts of life, health, fitness, and more to each class and picked a likely starter class for myself. I can will multiclass in everything, but only when my stats meet the class requirements, and I can (and hope to) hit level twenty in each class (though we're talking years for that!). Reaching level three in any class will allow me to pick the most appropriate subclass.

Still working on a loot system that isn't based on buying myself shiny new things when I reach a certain milestone. There will definitely be some trips to charity shops involved when Lockdown Tier restrictions allow, but until then I need to figure out a lot more than that.

In the meantime, I'm starting here:

Class: Monk (bodyweight based class)

STR: 10

DEX: 10

CON: 10

WIS: 12

INT: 10

CHA: 8

XP: 0

Daily tasks - 1xp per task completed

Weekly tasks - 3xp per task completed

Monthly tasks - 15xp per task completed

Challenge goal met - 20xp (per goal)

Random encounters - 1-20xp

Health - 29hp (based on age), 1 point deducted per failed encounter or other appropriate circumstance/recover health with tasks (choice between xp or hp earned until back to full health)

It's quite the distance to level two, but I'm raring to go. At the very least I'm looking to develop a morning and evening routine again, fairly short things that can be adhered to regardless of my work schedule. Really, the way to level two will be paved with little actions just like that.

I have lists of daily, weekly, and monthly activities, and random encounters really means anything else. Or something I hadn't thought of!

My aim is to make my daily update here in the evening, the last thing I do online before shutting the computer off and just chilling before bed.

• Like 2

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Alrighty, doing this while I remember as it is Hogmany and there is booze happening.

Today was a 5xp day. Nothing spectacular, but a reasonable start considering this has been a very lazy day off. It'll be interesting to see what the average workday will look like, and I'll find that out tomorrow.

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

On 12/30/2020 at 10:53 PM, iatetheyeti said:

Still working on a loot system that isn't based on buying myself shiny new things when I reach a certain milestone. There will definitely be some trips to charity shops involved when Lockdown Tier restrictions allow, but until then I need to figure out a lot more than that.

Ayyy, I had this issue trying to decide what works for me except instead of shiny new things it was "things that go completely against my goals but I want them." Like chocolate. I've ended up with badges/pins, hope you find something that works for you :)

Good luck with your 2021!

• Like 1

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Took the road less traveled. Now lost.

6 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

Ayyy, I had this issue trying to decide what works for me except instead of shiny new things it was "things that go completely against my goals but I want them." Like chocolate. I've ended up with badges/pins, hope you find something that works for you :)

Good luck with your 2021!

I am toying with the idea of indulging in a baking experiment every month... Honestly, I think I'm just going to have to figure it out as I go.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I completely forgot to do this last night. Plus I lost my little post-it with the info on it. I think I came in at around 7xp, making my current total 12xp. I do need to get myself a more reliable tracking system, probably something that'll sit on my noticeboard so I always see it. And I need a comprehensive set of lists of what each task is and whether it counts as a daily, weekly, or monthly task.

Things to think about and action tomorrow.

• Like 1