Forums are back in action! ×

Bible Memory Treasure Quest

As promised, some ideas for moving forward with the GIANT asterisk that I'm not in any way qualified to lead, but willing to help facilitate. ?

Scripture in hymns/songs

Do you know that scene in the Johnny Cash biopic Walk the Line where he's a kid talking to his brother and says something along the lines of "I can't memorize Scripture the way you can" and his brother says "but you do know all the hymn lyrics." I relate to that so hard and it's stuck with me all this time. I grew up in a very Southern tiny church that sang almost exclusively hymns so I have several memorized at this point.

After my Bible read through last year, I was surprised at how many hymns and worship lyrics I recognized in different verses, sometimes word for word! So we could share some of our favorite worship songs and find the related verses to help us memorize and maybe gain greater understanding/appreciation for the songs.  

(This also doubles as me getting some song recs from all of y'all ;))

Wisdom Books

Bible study (in my NF journey anyway) is tied to my Wisdom stat. The Book of Proverbs is known for its short sayings to help illustrate the 'right' or 'best' way to live. There are 2 other Wisdom books: Job and Ecclesiastes though which are meatier and deeper in to the harder questions of life. 

I have linked below the Bible Project playlist about each of these books that inspired this idea.

Stoic Influences in New Testament

I recently heard John Mark Comer talking about this in the Art of Manliness Podcast (one of my favorites even though I am no man ;)) I'm interested in Stoicism and if I can study/explore how it dovetails with Christian beliefs, it sounds like a worthwhile endeavor.  And if we happen upon some verses that succinctly sum it up for us, so much the better!

What do y'all think? Open to other ideas or modifying these. ?

• Thanks 1

STR   DEX   STA   CON   INT   WIS   CHA

2           0          4         2            0         1         0

Workin' my 'Puff into 'Tuff!

Those are great ideas. I will think about some of my favorite songs and find the scripture. I loved the video on Proverbs. That was really helpful. My BIble reading plan is in Proverbs right now, so I found it super interesting. I used to think the Stoicism was just about not having feelings, and just trying to be Spock. But, in the classical sense, I think it is more about governing your feelings, and bringing them under control Which is really what Christians are called to do. For example, if I am jealous of something my neighbor has, instead of dwelling on that, I am called to be thankful for what I have and to turn away from my jealousy. Of course, stoicism is doing that in your own power, but as Christians it is through the power of the Holy Spirit working in us.

Another idea is  just to talk about verses that mean a lot to us, and how we are applying that in our lives

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

My New Testament reading last night was Galatians 5, which has the scripture about the fruit of the spirit. I was thinking how God has promised to give us that fruit (love , joy, peace, patience, self control) and how when we don't exhibit those things in our lives, it is because we are choosing to follow our own desires instead of following God. 

• Like 2

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 8/21/2024 at 11:47 PM, Elastigirl said:

My New Testament reading last night was Galatians 5, which has the scripture about the fruit of the spirit. I was thinking how God has promised to give us that fruit (love , joy, peace, patience, self control) and how when we don't exhibit those things in our lives, it is because we are choosing to follow our own desires instead of following God. 

I really like that framing! The way I usually see this explained is "you don't see fruit because you don't have a relationship with God" Which maybe is splitting hairs, but the difference is kinda like the priorities question: "I don't have time" vs "That's not a priority for me."  There's more agency behind it? I don't know if that makes sense. ?

Thank you for sharing! ❤️ 

• Like 2

❤️

Thank you  both for sharing!!

Sorry for the radio silence! I'm a bit slow with starting the ol' journalling engine back up, or rather, my journalling energy is very  much slurped up by my newly started therapy path. Its been nice.

This morning's verse was Ephesians 5:1

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

I'll spoiler my personal thoughts and prayers because they contain some perhaps TMI mention of sexuality:

Spoiler

As a few of the other chapters that last week's verses belonged to, it was very focused on avoiding (in particular sexual) debauchery and honestly this has been quite a theme for me ever since I hit puberty.

It's difficult to find friends to keep that are both in tune with their sexuality but also don't go overboard, follow an ethical code. When you do not struggle with it, it's different, of course. Some may get into sexual proclivities because they feel a need for attention or think they will get love that way. My desire is very much spontaneous, but even very young I knew that I need to learn to control my desires in order to not hurt others or myself. so I did. Regardless, I'm slowly but surely attracting more and more people who also strive for that balance. Being in tune with yourself, but also being selective. and finding others who support you in following your own personal value system, whether that is consciously Godly or not. ❤️

Some friends I used to have may have  been tempered in lust, but they turned out to have an unashamed excess of other sinds like greed. Or pride. Maybe in the future I will become more typically Christian in the way I view hedonistic pleasures, but small steps, true insights, and always good intentions.

The Netherlands is decisively secular (or Muslim/hindu in certain communities), save for a smaller group or more devout Christians, often Catholic. And yet I can certainly feel the Light, the Holy spirit perhaps, in a select few more than in others and it has felt amazing walking along side them. Giving to other giving, loving, kind individuals as we all learn to fill up our cups before we walk along side others who are more or solely takers, who freely give into jealousy, greed, lust, whether they proudly verbalise it or not.

We should love others as God loves us, and spending too much time amongst those who do not, makes me feel like I should imitate them or otherwise I am naive. I will always be kind to everyone, of course, but that is different than letting them anywhere near my heart ❤️ 

Moreover, I've been doing better with praising God and Christ for all that I do in their name, as when I was doing things "in the name of the higher purpose of being kind for my own self-respect, for my own heart, for my own version of beign the change I want to see in the world", even when I wasn't cosnciously following the path of Christ, I didn't really share too much. Sometimes, rarely, when it wasn't too much sounding self-righteous, I'd tell people who felt silly for being kind to others who aren't kind to them, I'd say: "Why need someone to be kind in return, why need acknowledgement for it? Sometimes we lose ourselves in pride or seeking external validation, but kindness is something you should do for yourself, for being the person you wish to be."

But! In several places, such as colossians 3:17, we are called to do all that we do in the name of Jesus, and give thanks to God:

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Maybe I'm reading into it wrong, but I have been interpreting these things as verbalising that I'm acting in the name of/as a servant of God. I will still try to temper any over-piousness, because deeds speak louder than words, and I truly think someone finding out I am Christian only after they see what I am capable of and what fruits I have in my life,  is stronger, anyway... But I'm not going to hide it anymore. I follow the Light, I follow the way of Christ, and that is just as valid to name as any greedy motivation to the deed of others even if some might find it "boring" :) ❤️

• Like 2

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

57 minutes ago, Renate said:

Maybe I'm reading into it wrong, but I have been interpreting these things as verbalising that I'm acting in the name of/as a servant of God. I will still try to temper any over-piousness, because deeds speak louder than words, and I truly think someone finding out I am Christian only after they see what I am capable of and what fruits I have in my life,  is stronger, anyway... But I'm not going to hide it anymore. I follow the Light, I follow the way of Christ, and that is just as valid to name as any greedy motivation to the deed of others even if some might find it "boring" :)

I like this. It challenges me. I always say I  worry about sounding over pious when I say that, but maybe my true worry is that people will think I'm weird. But, if I am doing in Christ''s name , I should say so.  Also, I could just say something simple like I show love because Christ first loved me.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MezzothePatient said:

I really like that framing! The way I usually see this explained is "you don't see fruit because you don't have a relationship with God" Which maybe is splitting hairs, but the difference is kinda like the priorities question: "I don't have time" vs "That's not a priority for me."  There's more agency behind it? I don't know if that makes sense. ?

Thank you for sharing! ❤️ 

Yes. That reminds me of the verse in John :I am the vine, you are the branches" If we are not actively building a relationship with God by praying, reading His word, and obeying  than we  aren't connected to Him, and won't see the fruit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2024 at 6:47 AM, Elastigirl said:

Wow, I really feel this. It really ties into not giving in to fears, and surrendering your worries to God, for me, as I think I have not listened to His guidance many times out of fear. The desire for comfort, for earthly/illusionary safety. It made me become a version of myself I would have rather never seen myself be. Yet ever since I started following my intuition, and having faith that as long as I walk on the Path (I don't know if this is the right word, in christian context, but it is the word that came to me from my context, sorry if it is confusing!)... all will be right, things have been better and better. ❤️ 

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I like this. It challenges me. I always say I  worry about sounding over pious when I say that, but maybe my true worry is that people will think I'm weird. But, if I am doing in Christ''s name , I should say so. 

Very relatable, haha, though I find a large amount of people think I'm weird either way, when I do things with morale or ethics... Either they (of this group) do not believe I have pure motivations until they do, and then find me silly, naive, easily manipulatable. This idea gets affirmed if they succeed because I do not care about something, or not if I have a plan B, C, D until Z for the things I do care about.

If I have a particular strength in a certain area, many will simply scoff and find me a goody-two-shoes, only because they would never do something like I do if they had my strength in that area. I gave up.?

rvmnaxgd85f71.jpg?auto=webp&s=9a0043173b

I hope I don't sound arrogant now, either, I know how insufferable I can be, it's just... Tiring sometimes, to explain myself, and I'm realising more and more that I should just work hard in silence most of the time, and open up only when it's safe. Let others think what they think

and perhaps that's allowing me to show a little more quirk when it's for the higher good and mention Christ's name.

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Also, I could just say something simple like I show love because Christ first loved me.

Can I steal this? So simple but effective!!

On 8/21/2024 at 7:32 PM, MezzothePatient said:

Do you know that scene in the Johnny Cash biopic Walk the Line where he's a kid talking to his brother and says something along the lines of "I can't memorize Scripture the way you can" and his brother says "but you do know all the hymn lyrics." I relate to that so hard and it's stuck with me all this time. I grew up in a very Southern tiny church that sang almost exclusively hymns so I have several memorized at this point.

This is so beautiful, and I will have to watch this biopic ❤️ Thank you, Mezzo

This will sound silly but there are a few hymns sung in Sister Act that have stuck with me through the years, as I've grown up, though I've never gone to Church regularly

Lecrae was recommended me years ago when I first started on my journey to connect with my higher self or the higher power:

I really appreciate the Art of Manliness! I used to read a lot from him, but I'm slightly wary of his Mormon background, on the one hand, while on the other I have only heard healthy approaches to life from Brett McKay...  I guess I can apprach his articles as I like to approach everything, nowadays, with an open mind and heart and let my intiution guide me.

• Like 1

I just realised I did not respond to the content of your message as an input of a theme to follow, haha, I'm so sorry. My mind is all over the place as you can see, maybe.

On 8/21/2024 at 7:32 PM, MezzothePatient said:

As promised, some ideas for moving forward with the GIANT asterisk that I'm not in any way qualified to lead, but willing to help facilitate. ?

As Elastigirl I thank you for the ideas!

I get a lot out of Proverbs right now and really appreciated the video on it and the Good life. I believe that may align best with what I need right now, facilitated by my Holy Bible app to help me to keep learning how to pray

On 8/22/2024 at 6:40 AM, Elastigirl said:

Those are great ideas. I will think about some of my favorite songs and find the scripture. I loved the video on Proverbs. That was really helpful. My BIble reading plan is in Proverbs right now, so I found it super interesting. I used to think the Stoicism was just about not having feelings, and just trying to be Spock. But, in the classical sense, I think it is more about governing your feelings, and bringing them under control Which is really what Christians are called to do. For example, if I am jealous of something my neighbor has, instead of dwelling on that, I am called to be thankful for what I have and to turn away from my jealousy. Of course, stoicism is doing that in your own power, but as Christians it is through the power of the Holy Spirit working in us.

And Elastigirl your Bible reading plan is in Proverbs right now!! I think there's a winner idea and somewhere to start which is most important, anyway ?

Thank you dears so much

On 8/22/2024 at 6:40 AM, Elastigirl said:

Another idea is  just to talk about verses that mean a lot to us, and how we are applying that in our lives

I feel like that might happen naturally as well which would be lovely, to hear how everyone applies scripture and what means a lot to them ❤️ Thank you for that suggestion, lovely!

Ahhh I'm so hyped that we are getting the ball rolling already :D 

• Like 2

Reading through Ecclesiatses right now. I always find that book tough, and kind of depressing . I watched the Bible Project's video on it, and it was super helpful. One of the things they explained was how the author wrote the book as if he were a teacher teaching his student hard things. And the hard thing is that all things we think bring meaning to life  are blown away by time and death. We need to fear God to live a good life (as Proverbs say), but even that does not guarantee we won't have hard things, or that evil people won't seem to prosper, Then the book concludes by saying our hope is in God's judgement, and that is why we fear and obey God.

As   I had my 59th (!) birthday this summer, death and time begin to seem so much more real. Time goes so quickly, and I wonder what affect I will have on this world.

As a sort of aside, but still having to do with things that bring meaning. My mother's family was non Christian. But a relative( a cousin I think) was a preacher and invited her and her siblings to Bible school, and she became a Christian. This changed her whole trajectory, and then later , I was born to a Christian mom and dad who taught me about God's love and brought me to church. I don't even know the name of this relative, I have forgotten, but yet what he did changed not just my mom,  but future generations.

• Like 2

Sorry for being MIA! Life got crazy busy for a bit. ?

Proverbs is our winner then. :) Looking forward to reading and discussing Wisdom with y'all!

But since I don't have a Proverb right now, I thought I'd share something that gave me goosebumps Monday.

I love this song. But I don't listen to it too much if that makes sense? I don't want it to lose its impact. I think the combination of Auld Lang Sine (a song that already has strong emotional ties for me) and the lyrics are very powerful.

In the second part of the first verse, he sings

To you who boast tomorrow's gain
Tell me what is your life
A mist that vanishes at dawn
All glory be to Christ

And I looked up the verses he's referring to: James 13 -17 

Boasting About Tomorrow

13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.”  14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.  15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” 16 As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil. 17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.

• Like 2

I guess this is the time to be on the boards! :D

10 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Reading through Ecclesiatses right now. I always find that book tough, and kind of depressing . I watched the Bible Project's video on it, and it was super helpful. One of the things they explained was how the author wrote the book as if he were a teacher teaching his student hard things. And the hard thing is that all things we think bring meaning to life  are blown away by time and death. We need to fear God to live a good life (as Proverbs say), but even that does not guarantee we won't have hard things, or that evil people won't seem to prosper, Then the book concludes by saying our hope is in God's judgement, and that is why we fear and obey God.

As   I had my 59th (!) birthday this summer, death and time begin to seem so much more real. Time goes so quickly, and I wonder what affect I will have on this world.

As a sort of aside, but still having to do with things that bring meaning. My mother's family was non Christian. But a relative( a cousin I think) was a preacher and invited her and her siblings to Bible school, and she became a Christian. This changed her whole trajectory, and then later , I was born to a Christian mom and dad who taught me about God's love and brought me to church. I don't even know the name of this relative, I have forgotten, but yet what he did changed not just my mom,  but future generations.

THat's a beautiful testimony! I imagine that your relative didn't know what the full effect his actions would be either, but God did. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MezzothePatient said:

THat's a beautiful testimony! I imagine that your relative didn't know what the full effect his actions would be either, but God did. ?

Yes, I was thinking that too

• Like 1