Forums are back in action! ×

Can Parallel Goals Be Detrimental to Progress?

Short and sweet... I have three goals: learn to run distance, become stronger, and look better naked. The first two goals relate directly to the NorCal Tough Mudder in September, the third simple vanity.

Tough Mudder has become an obsession for me. I committed to completing the NorCal event in September, almost a year ago. I want to prove to myself that I can do this, that there's no reason I can't run some distance or be stronger. I want to believe that I am capable of something great.

I'm currently doing 3-4 workouts a week (always with a rest day in-between), up at 5:30am (to instill discipline). I do about 10 minutes of warm-up (thank you NerdFitness) with some stretches, jump rope, push ups, plank, etc. I then focus on strength training - inverted rows, chin-up let-downs, dumbbell and barbell bench press, bench dips, barbell rows, etc. This usually takes about a half an hour. Overall the goal is to be strong enough to cross the monkey bars or climb a rope or carry a 50 pound log for a quarter mile. When I'm done with this I hit the treadmill (working up to trails and outdoor running). I can run a mile, just under 11 minutes, and am halfway through the C25K program, really finding a nice stride, and I'm noticing my heart and body getting stronger.

I know I'm progressing in my strength training. I know I'm progressing with running. I have lost a few pounds and my BMI and body fat percentage have dropped a bit. The question is, is it possible to accomplish all three of these goals at once or is one of them detrimental to the others? Is running affecting strength training or vice-versa?

Or, should I even worry about this?

Thanks.

Short and sweet... I have three goals: learn to run distance, become stronger, and look better naked. The first two goals relate directly to the NorCal Tough Mudder in September, the third simple vanity.

Tough Mudder has become an obsession for me. I committed to completing the NorCal event in September, almost a year ago. I want to prove to myself that I can do this, that there's no reason I can't run some distance or be stronger. I want to believe that I am capable of something great.

I'm currently doing 3-4 workouts a week (always with a rest day in-between), up at 5:30am (to instill discipline). I do about 10 minutes of warm-up (thank you NerdFitness) with some stretches, jump rope, push ups, plank, etc. I then focus on strength training - inverted rows, chin-up let-downs, dumbbell and barbell bench press, bench dips, barbell rows, etc. This usually takes about a half an hour. Overall the goal is to be strong enough to cross the monkey bars or climb a rope or carry a 50 pound log for a quarter mile. When I'm done with this I hit the treadmill (working up to trails and outdoor running). I can run a mile, just under 11 minutes, and am halfway through the C25K program, really finding a nice stride, and I'm noticing my heart and body getting stronger.

I know I'm progressing in my strength training. I know I'm progressing with running. I have lost a few pounds and my BMI and body fat percentage have dropped a bit. The question is, is it possible to accomplish all three of these goals at once or is one of them detrimental to the others? Is running affecting strength training or vice-versa?

Or, should I even worry about this?

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much. At some point for athletes going after high levels of performance there may be a conflict between strength and endurance - namely that lots of distance training will at some point become detrimental to gaining muscle/strength. Lifting doesn't directly hurt your endurance, but it does require training and recovery time that you're not spending on endurance work. Practically I wouldn't worry about it - the running volumes where this really becomes an issue are well beyond what a C25K program would have you do. 5K-level running training shouldn't be enough to significantly hamper your strength progress. I think a general broad fitness base is a good way to start - once you've achieved that, you can decided whether there's a certain area you want to focus on.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

i'm screwing up the saying, but it goes something like "appearance is the result training." keep working hard, and you'll look better naked.

and good luck on tough mudder. i'm doing the one in new jersey at the end of october. try and find a balance between lifting and running.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Urban Scout

STR - 6 DEX - 6 STA - 11 CON - 2 WIS - 4 CHA - 6

My Epic Quest: http://tinyurl.com/7ey2ylw

Most Recent Mission: Visit Chichen Itza (Completed 11/18/12)

I am currently: Level 3 (0% to Level 4)

Zorch nailed it, at that level, you can absolutely meet both strength and endurance goals. When you get closer to the limits of your physical ability, training one can come at the detriment of the other, but when you get there, you'll know it. For example, I've discovered I can't do heavy deadlifts and run 10+ miles on back to back days, but I've otherwise been able to train for a half marathon and progress the 'Starting Strength' lifts concurrently.

Just make sure you plan your lower-body resistance training in accordance with your cardio. Also make sure your legs get a day or two of rest every week as well. They can take more punishment than most body parts, but try not to do resistance training and cardio within a few hours of each other.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Physical appearance is a consequence of fitness. Form follows function. If you are getting stronger and faster, then you're going to start looking better and better.

It's absolutely possible to get stronger and become better at endurance. [[Site no longer exists]] has some really solid advice in this realm. I've been following this guy's blog for a few years after "meeting" him on the Runner's World forums. He's training to become a Navy SEAL officer, and to do so, he's practiced:

• CrossFit
  • Calisthenics
  • Olympic Lifting (at a competitive level)
  • Ultramarathon running
  • Swimming
  • Gymnastics

Among other things. Guy's a beast in the gym and simultaneously trains to run 100 mile races in the mountains. I recommend checking out his website and his training log. He is very open with what he's doing to train, and I think if your goals are to get fast and get strong, GLGS is a valuable resource.

Valar Morghulis

Archived