Forums are back in action! ×

I'm Tired of Talking About it...

I've been browsing the NerdFitness blog for a few months now (follow on twitter, signed up for the email newsletter, etc...), and loved the nerd angle to fitness. I was inspired to start getting back into shape again, but I guess I just didn't want it fully yet. This morning, I was listening to the latest episode of the Nerdkicks podcast, and heard HolaMindy interviewing Steve Kamb, and finally realized that I was tired of just talking about getting back in shape, I needed to just go for it! Gone are the lazy half-effort heavy bag garage workouts (my heavy bag fell...not because I'm awesome, but because the bolt unscrewed from the bracket holding it up), its time to Level Up!!

At 37, I'm starting a scary new chapter in my life...I've just started a new business in March of this year (MADSigns/MADDigital...I'm in charge of the Digital side), and realized this is the turning point where I take over, and start "leveling up my life". My business partner is already in great shape (he fought Muay Thai professionally), and he's always asking if I want to join him at the gym...This week my wife and I signed up, and I'm going to hit the weights again.

At my heaviest, I was pushing 230, but back in 2004 I started lifting weights (after weeks of researching the subject...like a nerd), and lost 30lbs, and had an impressive (for me) 250lbs squat (although my upper body strength didn't see much improvement). I no longer lift weights, and I've since gained and lost 10-15lbs repeatedly for the past few years, and now I'm at 205. I want to start tracking actual performance, not that arbitrary number on the scale, so I'm hoping to get back to the strength level I was at 5 years ago, but this time I'm hoping my upper body strength improves much more. I loved the quote that Steve mentioned: "Appearance is a consequence of fitness."

Anyway...I would like to join the NerdFitness Rebellion!!

Welcome to the rebellion!!!! Focusing on something other than the number on the scale was really important to me too, so I totally understand breaking through that mindset. Good luck with your new quest at the gym, and I look forward to getting to know you better. :)

Halfling Female Ranger

STR - 4 ~ DEX - 3 ~ STA - 5 ~ CON - 2 ~ WIS - 3 ~ CHA - 2

FANTASTIC! Welcome! Sounds like you'll fit in quite nicely 'round these parts.

Congrats on the new chapter in your life and making the commitment to be as bad ass as you can be!

and completely off topic: slcathena, this is the second place i've seen your avatar in 5 minutes and i have to tell you: it's the best. Always Be Batman--words to live by! :high-five:

So, Evil twin.. don't be Brian.. be BATMAN! :D

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Archived