Forums are back in action! ×

Hi nerds, nice to see you again!

I got really out of shape over the fall/winter, mostly due to getting a very sedentary job, but also due to health issues. I have chronic fatigue syndrome, which is kind of a misnomer—I'm often tired, but really it's more like exercise-gives-you-the-flu syndrome, which makes getting back in shape complicated! I used to do quite a bit of yoga, but haven't been up for that recently, especially because my symptoms are usually the worst during the late winter.  The main thing I've been trying recently is a very slow approach to GMB's Elements program (I do the fifteen minute workouts on "easy" and that often goes ok). When that's too much I sometimes do Autoimmune Strong workouts, which are very gentle, or even just make a point of getting up and walking around/up and down some stairs a few times a day. I also recently got an electric bicycle (which I'm really excited about!) and am trying to figure out how much biking I can get away with. So far I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the results...for example, today I rode it to the neighborhood grocery store. I'm not sure how that will affect me yet (I can get hit with a flare up to 48 hours after exercising), but so far so good and my fingers are crossed. Anyway, my current goals include: 

1. Bike often, at whatever level of effort I can get away with. try to find interesting local bike trails and bikeable destinations.
2. Occasionally intersperse with other workouts so my legs don't have to do it all.

2. Continue losing my pandemic weight (currently about ten pounds into a maybe thirty-pound CICO weight loss effort).

3. Adapt lots of interesting foods to the type of diet that agrees with my body (mostly grain free whole food, basically).

4. Ideally, be prepared for some other kind of exercise by the next time it gets too cold to want to bike...maybe yoga again, or my reach goal is to join a climbing gym.

Anyway, I feel like I could use some extra motivation around all that, so I'm trying to figure out if I want to start a personal log, join the current challenge, or what...but I definitely plan to be around here more often than I have been. Also, I'm excited to see that there's a Discord server now, which I definitely plan on checking out!

• Like 2