Forums are back in action! ×

Hello!

So, to start out, my name's Ben. I just finished up college last December and started work as a programmer, so now I'm at a desk job and I lose my miniscule amount of exercise from walking to classes.

About two and a half months ago, I decided to sign up for a Warrior Dash. This was after having never run more than a mile at once in my life, and hating running all through school, even though I did plenty of sports (I played all the positions that didn't have to run a lot; goalie in soccer, lineman in football). Well, I went straight at that and after two months of training, I managed to do the dash in 43:31, with my 5K PR going into the race at 28:51. (Woo!)

All through that, I was tracking my progress with my phone, and by the end of the two months, I managed to gather enough data through Endomondo that my inner nerd looked at it and decided, "I can optimize that." To round out my data gathering, I just got a heart rate monitor that links up to my phone so I can track yet another data point.

So, now that I don't have an imminent 5K looming, I'm starting to branch out and do some body weight exercises too. Overall, I'm trying to keep improving my numbers and gain some upper body strength while I'm at it. As a side goal, I'm also trying to lose a bit of weight. But, I'm not as concerned about that; every time a doctor has told me that I need to lose some weight, they are usually looking at a chart, then are surprised when they look up and make some comment along the lines of "You don't look obese..."

Well, we'll see how active I can keep myself on here, as I tend to be an introvert online as in real life. And, insert generic comment about people actually reading an entire introduction here.

For science! (Oh, and the rebellion too.)

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

fire.eagle

Elf Assassin

STR: 6 DEX: 5.5 STA: 4.75 CON: 5 WIS: 3.5 CHA: 3.75

Assassin Wannabe | Be Prepared

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

[/table]

Welcome, Ben! Good job on your Warrior Dash! Sounds like you're having WAY to much fun with nerding out your workout (and therefore really do belong here :D). Hope you like it here! Don't be afraid to ask questions and if you don't want to say much... well... I suppose you wouldn't be the first strict lurker around the forums.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

I'm already rooting for you! I saw "Science" and "Fire"! 2 of several of my favorite words. Welcome to the Rebellion, Here we can help you with anything you might need from Advice to Motivation, just don't hesitate to ask! What are you numbers now? If you don't mind my asking, and how do you plan to increase yourself? Other than that, See you around

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Thanks! I started putting together some basic variation on a character sheet/workout plan:

Name: Ben

Height: 6' 3"

Weight: 226 lbs

Base Speed: 48 ft (5K PR averaged into a 5 second combat round)

Workouts

Bodyweight routine:

Inverted row

Push ups

(Leg exercise: usually one legged squats x10 each leg or mountain climbers x20)

45 second plank

3 sets, x10 first and second time, to exhaustion 3rd time.

Distance:

5K run on moderately hilly route

Other:

Sprints + roll and vault practice

3 month goals

Weight: 216 lbs (Boy Scout health form's recommended max weight)

Base speed: 54 ft (25:00 5K)

Strength: Replace inverted rows with pullups x3

Feats: Basic Parkour: Be able to vault well and properly shoulder roll on concrete

Diet: No more soda

Well, that's a pretty nice summary. But, I've been shooting for 5-6 workouts per week, rotating between those three, usually lasting about 30 minutes each. I'm also trying to cut out soda, since I've typically been drinking 2+ cans per day between eating with coworkers and work provided drinks. I've been pretty successful so far by switching to iced tea.

And, I've managed to avoid lurking and post in at least one other thread, so I'll see you around, even if it is only in The Pub board.

EDIT: Oh, and I also wear vibrams. Those things are awesome. They made running a lot more fun.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

fire.eagle

Elf Assassin

STR: 6 DEX: 5.5 STA: 4.75 CON: 5 WIS: 3.5 CHA: 3.75

Assassin Wannabe | Be Prepared

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

[/table]

Archived