Forums are back in action! ×

The Weekend Weekly (Household Challenge)

15 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

I do the same.

I did try this, but my minions were always kicking it over.  And now the dog thinks it is fun to shred things in it.  So we just throw it out when we get home or when we are filling up at the gas station.

• Sad 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Weekend Weekly (February 18 - February 24, 2024)

This week is clear out your personal email inbox!  Does your inbox look like mine, with over 2000 unread emails, most of which are junk? Well lets try to get that down to a more manageable number.

Level 1: Set aside 15 minutes and just start to delete the junk. Start with an easy 500 emails.  Trash them and move on.

Level 2: Set aside 15 minutes each day this week and delete a set number of them.  Move those that need to be kept to folders designating their usage.

Level 3: When a new email comes in, automatically categorize it.  If it is an email you “subscribe” to and no longer want, unsubscribe. If it needs to be saved, make sure to move it to the designated folder. Respond promptly to those that need responses and then delete anything else that is just junk.

Let me know what tips you all have.  I feel like I am always trying to improve this segment of my digital life.

• Like 6

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Weekend weekly (February 25 - March 2, 2024)

This week is clear out your spring wardrobe!  Mother Nature has been teasing us with spring like weather on and off all month here in southwestern Pennsylvania and sometimes those winter sweaters are just too warm to wear.  I personally have found I am cycling in some of my lighter weight stuff, but alas not all of it is even wearable.

Level 1

Pick one section of your wardrobe, be it a closet or a drawer or in my case a bin under my bed with my spring/summer items.  Throw out what is beyond repair, donate what doesn’t fit anymore.  Remember clothes are meant to fit your body and not the other way around (despite what society tells us).

Level 2:

If you have really nice items, consider reselling them on consignment.

Level 3:

If you need to replace items, consider higher quality things (either new or used) or maybe creating a capsule wardrobe.  Make sure to only purchase things that serve you and your needs.  The fast fashion industry is very damaging to the environment and to those people exploited by it. 

Feel free to add anything to this item this week!  I am always curious to see what everyone else is doing in this sphere.

• Like 3

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

On 7/7/2023 at 3:45 PM, Cymas said:

Fitness isn't just about our own physical health and nutrition. A huge part of our mental health is linked to our living environment. Living in a cluttered, disorganized space can create a lot of mental noise that impacts our daily lives, often without us realizing it.

But, we're also often very busy people, or struggling with mental health or poor work-life balance.

So every week I'll post one of these challenges. It will be a relatively small, localized task that you can take as little or as much time as you need to complete. Simply do the thing, then post back here to report! Feel free to share tips or what made the thing challenging and how you solved it. Or maybe you expected it to be harder than it was, and that's awesome!

Weekend Weekly #1: Delving into the Depths (of the Fridge)

With summer in full swing, it's party time! But with many of us hosting social gatherings and parties, or simply helping our hosts get rid of the leftovers, now is the prime time for fridge gremlins to flourish. Your challenge, if you choose to accept it: clean out the fridge!

Level 1: Busy or don't have the energy? That's ok! All you need to do is go through it and toss whatever's overstayed it's welcome. We don't need any science experiments in our lives right now.

Level 2: Once all the icky stuff is gone, let's go through what's left. Is there anything you need to use up? Let's get to it! Make at least one meal that utilizes ingredients from the fridge.

Level 3: Go all out! Let's delve into it, literally, by taking everything out and giving the fridge a good scrub. Fridges are probably the most important appliance aside from our coffee pots, but it's so easy to neglect when we get busy.

All finished? Great! Give yourself and the fridge a good pat on the back and report back here.

Tips:

Refrigerated produce is probably one of the biggest waste categories for a lot of us, but it doesn't need to be that way! Here are a few ideas for using up some of those fruits and vegetables if you know you won't get to them before they turn:

Pickling: You don't need to be an expert canner for this. Quick pickling is super easy and can be done in the time it takes water to boil. Boil a solution of 1:1 water to vinegar with up to 1/4 cup of sugar. Chop up your vegetables and put them in a container, preferably not plastic. Add spices if you want such as whole peppercorns. Once the solution boils, turn off the heat. Pour it over your vegetables until they're completely submerged. Let it cool then stick it in the fridge. Use in a month or two. You can pickle just about any vegetable this way.

Jams or curds: Fruit that's too soft to eat can be turned into jam or if it's citrus, curd. For jam, put your fruit in a pan, add some sugar, a bit of liquid (could be water, or even juice if you want to get crazy) and any flavorings if desired such as a cinnamon stick or zest. Bring to a boil then back it down to a simmer and stir occasionally until it turns into jam. Note that it will thicken as it cools and sets. Curds are a little bit more complicated and involve eggs and a double boiler.

Quick breads: Fruits and some vegetables can also be turned into a quick bread for a nice breakfast or tea snack, or earn brownie points (literally) with friends, family or coworkers. Quick breads are one of my favorite ways to use up the random odds and ends of my baking supplies, too.

Beer bread: Have some leftover beer but you're not a drinker, or at least not a drinker of that crap? Turn your liquid bread into bread bread!

Feel free to add your own tips, tricks and recipes, too!

Really impressive. Thanks

I really don’t have anything this week so if anyone has a suggestion I am game. I am going to try to make a list of things to do here so I have content. Also suggestions are welcome here as well. 

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Yeah.  I tried this today and failed.  Maybe tomorrow I can get rid of more.  

I also think I will try to make a list of topics for this so I have stuff to do.  

• Like 1

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5