Forums are back in action! ×

So It Goes....

Afternoon, all!

I'm Caitlin, and I came across your lovely forum while perusing "My Fitness Pal". I had joined it about a year and a half ago to get some accountability for myself, but ended up drowning myself in counting calories, weighing everyday, and defending myself to the trolls who commented on my food diary each time I forgot to log my water for the day. It was daunting and added far more pressure than anything else, so I quit.

When I started undergrad about 6 years ago, I weighed about 105 pounds. Granted, I was 17 years old and 5'2", but for some reason it never really occurred to me that that may one day change. Fast forward to age 20 and I was 145 pounds, drinking heavily and eating everything in sight. I realized something had to change so I started small and just switched to diet sodas then started monitoring what I ate and then eventually began running. I dropped down to about 118, and I thought I was hot shit.

I kept running and maintained my weight and all was well until about a year ago when my knees started getting really messed up, and I had to stop running. I gained to where I am now (130ish pounds) I tried doing push ups and all that jazz and kept telling myself I wanted to be strong not skinny, like all good young women say these days. I subscribed to the trifecta of women's weight loss magazines (Women's Health, Self, Shape) and pretended like I was really going to do it this time... But those magazines are more about sex positions and makeup trends then anything else, and I ended up sitting on the couch reading them with potato chips in hand.

Anyway, last week I was told I had arthritis under my knees and tilted knee caps. The doctor said no running period. He also said that I have extremely weak quads which is contributing to my knee pain. Long story not so short, I've really got to get my ass into gear. I can't run, but I don't really care. I DO want to be strong, I just need help a) getting there and B) getting my diet in gear.

Glad to be here, and I really hope I didn't bore you too much!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not boring at all! Welcome, Caitlin! That sounds pretty rough, but you CAN be strong even if you can't run :) I'm sure our Warriors and Rangers might have a thing or two to say about strength, so make sure you check out the guilds! I don't know if you've read much of Steve Kamb's blog on the main site yet, but you might check out his Beginner Body Weight Workout under "Free Resources" if you're looking for a place to start. I haven't done it myself, but I've heard good things about it. As far as diet, there are people around her that subscribe to a lot of different ways of eating, so look around, feel it out, and find what works for you :) If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask, there are always people around willing to try to answer them... or at least point in the direction of people that might be better equipped to answer. Welcome again, we're glad to have you here!

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story. Have you checked out the resources on the NF site? There are some great bodyweight circuits that will be great at strengthening your quads.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Archived