Forums are back in action! ×

No squat rack at my gym! Any ideas?

grz

My gym is in my office building which makes it very convenient. Unfortunately, it only has a smith machine for squats :(

Body squats aren't getting my blood going like they used. I've been using 20 lbs dbs resting on my shoulders, but they just aren't giving me enough resistance. If I try larger dbs, the plates on them are too large and makes for an awkward movement trying to keep them propped up.

The largest kettle bells are 30 lbs.

My Yoda - a former D1 football player - told me that the smith machine was okay to use if I'm going for more weight. I trust his opinion - he's 40 and still looks like a college linebacker for God's sake! But so much I've read here says I could injure myself on a smith machine.

Of course there are a multitude of machines in the gym, but I am trying to avoid those the best I can.

Nerd community - Do you have any ideas to help me get some solid resistance on a squat movement?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Level 1 Adventurer

[table=width: 300]

STR 7

DEX 1

STA 5

CON 5

WIS 4

CHA 3

[/table]

My 6 Week Challenge Thread

You definitely CAN injure yourself on the Smith, but you can also use it as a tool to good effect. I know some people have had great success using it to isolate quads by doing a front squat with the feet way out in front. (I workout at home and don't own a Smith, so can't be overly helpful here)

Other options for legs:

DB Lunges (lengthen or shorten your stride to emphasize different muscles)

Goblet Squats

DB Step ups (higher or lower steps emphasize different muscles)

The smith is fine, IF you trust your squat form. Try a few lighter sets not facing a mirror, feel your body move, if you feel like everything is correct, and If you coach is there to give proper ques then go for it. The smith gets a bad rap but it is fine to use for someone who isn't trying to get to an high level of fitness.

Warrior LVL 3

STR: 16.75 DEX: 4 STA: 4 CON: 2 WIS: 8 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17857-Trad-s-Don-t-drop-that-dun-dun-dun

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Squat: 380

Front Squat: 300

Bench: 265

Overhead Press: 155

Deadlift: 455

Clean & Jerk: 225

Snatch: 155

I've learner a lot from focussing on BW routines...there's a lot of ways to shake up your squats. You can use jump squats, single leg squats, pistol squats. If you like using the db's to squat with try adding a 3 to 5 second hold at the bottom. Doing oust that adds a lot of work over the whole set!

It just occured to me...you might want to look up Zercher squats. I've never done these, but I've read about them a few places. They're an older type of squat that seems to be making a comeback. From what I've seen you hold the barbell behind you at waist-ish height and squat without a rack.

Time for my standard response: Find a new gym.

First of all - What he said. I get that the one at your work is convenient, but if you want real results, you're going to have to rearrange some things to fit a real gym into your life. Inconvenience yourself a bit. If you really don't want to do that, and honestly - anything is better than NOT working out when you can, try a little tip from Brooklyn Decker. She does barbell walking lunges to keep her butt and legs in shape. You'll get better results doing walking lunges (correct form. Don't half-ass them) with KBs or heavy dumbbells than just doing dumbbell squats.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gnome Adventurer

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | CHA: 3 | WIS: 4

Fitocracy | ePaleoCookbooks.net | Blog | Twitter

Time for my standard response: Find a new gym.

What about those of us working out at home? I've put in a formal request for my husband to either build me a power rack or get some squat stands, but they have yet to appear. :P

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Just from my own very limited experience, if you're not set on lifting super-heavy then maybe consider doing dumbbell squats with the dbs down on your sides (Google images for 'dumbbell squat'). I have a twisted hip that really doesn't like me putting anything more than ~70lbs on top of it for squats. At that weight I feel like I could stand on just my right leg and do it fine, but my left leg starts twitching and throwing some lovely, sharp pains my way, and basically just quitting on me. When I do it with dbs, I don't get that lovely sensation, and I certainly feel like I'm still getting a good workout from it. That said, there's probably some horrible, horrible trade-off I'm not aware of... something to look forward to. :ambivalence:

Kewilson - Misfit Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Operation Phoenix: 6-Week Challenge Thread

STR: 2 (+2), DEX: 0 (+1), STA: 3 (+0), CON: 4 (+0), WIS: 5 (+0), CHA: 1 (+3)

I've learner a lot from focussing on BW routines...there's a lot of ways to shake up your squats. You can use jump squats, single leg squats, pistol squats. If you like using the db's to squat with try adding a 3 to 5 second hold at the bottom. Doing oust that adds a lot of work over the whole set!

Pretty much this. The beauty of bodyweight routines is that you can easily make them harder/easier, simply depending on how you move or whatnot. I know the YAYOG (You Are Your Own Gym) program has a lot of alternatives for these routines.

Try a little tip from Brooklyn Decker. She does barbell walking lunges to keep her butt and legs in shape. You'll get better results doing walking lunges (correct form. Don't half-ass them) with KBs or heavy dumbbells than just doing dumbbell squats.

This made no sense...

"This girl does BB lunges to look great... you should do KB or DB lunges cause they are better than squats."

You changed the exercise you were trying to make a point about, and then when you did make your point its not even necessarily true....Please go do more research before posting broscience.

Warrior LVL 3

STR: 16.75 DEX: 4 STA: 4 CON: 2 WIS: 8 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17857-Trad-s-Don-t-drop-that-dun-dun-dun

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Squat: 380

Front Squat: 300

Bench: 265

Overhead Press: 155

Deadlift: 455

Clean & Jerk: 225

Snatch: 155

grz, do you want to take up power lifting or olympic lifting? or are you lifting for size or strength.

essentially, the smith isn't recommended as it only allows the one plane of movement, therefore cuts out the use of stablising muscles, therefore giving you the illusion of being stronger than you actually are.

I too would recommend you find a new gym.

However, if you feel you can only train in your company gym, start doing goblet squats and/or front squats as a substitute, they will last you a while, through your first couple of months of training anyhow.

Just remember, proper strength training requires proper equipment.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

If you're going to try Steinborn Squats (loading the barbell, raising one end, and lowering it on your back to squat) make sure you have some really good clamps on your barbell, otherwise you're gonna have a problem.

I tried this when I had a home gym and nearly had a catastrophe because of the clamps, so I just ended up modifying my porch with some cinder blocks so I could squat.

It just occured to me...you might want to look up Zercher squats. I've never done these, but I've read about them a few places. They're an older type of squat that seems to be making a comeback. From what I've seen you hold the barbell behind you at waist-ish height and squat without a rack.

Um, that sounds more like hack squats. Zercher squats involve holding the barbell in the crook of your arms. I prefer them to goblet squats, as it allows me to keep my shoulders farther back and not nuke my spine. (Bill Zercher, the guy who invented these, apparently didn't have a squat rack. So he'd load up the barbell, squat down, and scoop the thing up. Complete madman, but hey, I like' em.) Also, if I accidentally drop the weight, it doesn't land on my toes.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Um, that sounds more like hack squats. Zercher squats involve holding the barbell in the crook of your arms. I prefer them to goblet squats, as it allows me to keep my shoulders farther back and not nuke my spine. (Bill Zercher, the guy who invented these, apparently didn't have a squat rack. So he'd load up the barbell, squat down, and scoop the thing up. Complete madman, but hey, I like' em.) Also, if I accidentally drop the weight, it doesn't land on my toes.

actually a Zercher involves half deadlifting the bar, resting it on your quads THEN scooping it, i do just the squat part in the rack but you'll be fine doing full Zerchers, i'd also recommend learning how to clean properly, then at least you can front squat to some degree (maybe not max weight but you could do reps) also try overhead squats (maybe learn how to snatch first too...) they're really good for getting you flexible and good for balance (saying that so are heavy front squats, they're my ab routine :P)

Archived