Forums are back in action! ×

Family Fitness Game

citabean

This is something my 10 year old son and I have been working on for the past couple of weeks. We wanted a fun way to track fitness at home and earn cool prizes. I wanted a way to motivate him to be more active. What better way to keep a couple of nerdy geeks active better than make a game of it?

This is the game!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3456[/ATTACH]

Rules:

You earn one space for:

- 1 mile walked/run

- 3 miles biked

- 10 minutes of strength/circuit training

- 15 minutes of other cardio

Each time you land on a star space, you get to choose an award card from an envelope of awards. These can be anything you as a family come up with. Some of ours: Go-Karts, Mini Golf, Beach, Zoo, Minor League Baseball Game, Movie, Dinner out, $20 for spending monies and various museums.

We have super hero tokens to move around the board. Mine is Thor!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3457[/ATTACH]

The game was pretty easy to make. I found an image online that I printed, colored, glued to cardboard and then put contact paper over. We also put a couple sayings and other pictures on the board. Our tokens are actually pieces from another game of Jonas' he no longer uses. They've got tape on em and we can move them around. The board is up on a wall on the way to the kitchen. So all in all, the game set-up is cheap. My goal with the awards was to get us out and do new things... and to try and stay away from food centered rewards.

Anyway, have fun kids! Get your kids involved, get em active!

post-1856-13567243898922_thumb.jpg

post-1856-13567243899242_thumb.jpg

STR 5 * DEX 5.5 * STA 12.5 * CON 7.75 * WIS 7.75 * CHA 3

My Fitness Pal

This is such a great idea Citabean. My kids are still young enough now that being active isn't an issue for them (5 and 2), but as they get older I think this may be an idea I pack away for them. Right now they get a kick out of doing some of the exercises I do (watching a 2-year-old do jumping jacks is entertaining, and a 5-year-old doing burpees is pretty funny too).

Thumbs up!

I'm on Twitter!

Archived