Forums are back in action! ×

Long time listener, first time caller.

I've been reading the shenanigans that go on here for quite a while and every once in a while I play at home.  Then I forget for a while and come back months later. Since I happened to remember at the same time that a new challenge was spinning up I thought that I'd join in 'for reals' this time.

My goals this time around is to simply get moving again.  Over the winter I've slacked off so it's time to wake from my hibernation.  As part of my pre-Challenge preps I've been conditioning myself to start waking at 4:30am again. This is important because I don't like to exercise while anyone is watching, whether it's working on a C25K run or doing bodyweight exercises in my living room.  People always say something that makes me feel self conscious so I druther not have anyone around.

I may include one or two other goals before the start but... just get moving for right now.

• Like 2

Just to be clear, my goal is to get moving again. Being awake at 4:30 seems to have helped but I'm trying to get moving.  C25K has been my go-to in the past and I've done well with that but then I was running in mid afternoon and some woman saw me. She said "Good going, keep it up!' Just triggered something in me that I still don't understand. I just want to do, not be seen. I've done C25K before and got down to 31 minutes. After that, I just didn't want to do it.  Same thing with bodyweight fitness. I got to a point where I liked what was happening and my wife said something about my shoulders being more defined.  I don't know how to stop self-sabotaging myself when someone comments on my progress.

• Like 2

Welcome!  Getting up at 4:30 seems hard ( I am so not a morning person)) but it should accomplish  your goal of not being watched while you work out.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

3 hours ago, mation said:

I don't know how to stop self-sabotaging myself when someone comments on my progress.

I get not wanting to be called out especially by strangers.  Can you do some self reflection on why a comment from your wife gave you such a reaction? Do you lose interest in your activity once you reach a certain threshold or is it solely when someone takes notice? 

I wish you good luck with your goals!

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Well, I can't define it in terms but I'm a guy that just wants to be left alone. Yes, it feels good when my wife comments on my new muscle definition but at the same time I'd rather not have anyone say anything. It's embarrassing, I guess. More importantly, I am expressly embarrassed at having someone comment _while I'm working_. Edit: Upon reflection, I think that time is supposed to be 'me' time

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome!  Getting up at 4:30 seems hard ( I am so not a morning person)) but it should accomplish  your goal of not being watched while you work out.

I so failed today.  I normally get up around 5:30 but it was 6:00 when I rolled out.  I used to get up at 4:30 without an alarm. Edit: That's why I'm doing this pre-Challenge. It would seem that 5:30 would be early enough but my wife plays this game of 'Beat Husband to the Bathroom' when the alarm goes off and then she stays awake if I'm doing something. Maybe if she committed to some challenge I wouldn't feel so self conscious. But that's not something I can do by myself.

Have you tried talking to your wife and explaining?  Hint- don't compare her to the Weeping Angels? Maybe just tell her that you are trying to be more active but are self conscious about being watched so maybe if she could just ignore you.  I remember when I first worked out, I hated  to be watched, even by my husband. Most of the time that worked out, but if he was on the room,  I said please just ignore me. 

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I have explained to my wife how self conscious I am when she watches me work out but it seems petty for me to object when she's trying to compliment me.  Whatever, I've found that simply being awake when no one else is works for me. Thank you for your insights though!

Drew the six of wands on a one card Tarot draw. Supportive.

Ah! Woke at 4:30AM on the dot!  Amazing since I didn't do myself any favors by staying up late yesterday to watch football. Today is scheduled to be a C25K day but with a temperature of 22F, I invoke the freeze clause. I'll still do stretching and warmup, then take a stroll when it's daylight.