Forums are back in action! ×

Already muscular, but need to lose weight - now what?

Jaswandi

Hello all,

I didn't know where to pose this question so I am putting it here. It is along the same lines of this post.

I am already pretty muscular - I can feel my biceps and triceps. I can even see them if I flex them, quite distinctly. (I have done quite a bit of rowing last year.) Likewise, I am pretty sure my legs are very muscular too - because I used to be a dancer for about 10 years, so they've taken a lot of wear and tear. I quit dancing about a couple of years ago though, and recently began running. My calves are super tight when I flex them.

However, I still have a lot of unwanted flab. On all limbs, in the belly region, and on the backside. :) I think I appear BIG not only because of the flab, but also because of my muscles.

I know that you guys all advocate lifting and weight training while trying to lose weight, but I sincerely believe that I have enough muscle mass, but the extra fat needs to come off.

Do you have suggestions?

Has this been discussed before? If so, can you direct me to it?

I am 5'3", 25, female, and 157 lbs as of Saturday. I think I am about 30 lbs overweight.

Human Adventurer
First completed challenge| my paleo experience
Never underestimate the power of Momentum.
Believe in action. Not in the consequence of it.

The idea of lifting while trying to lose weight isn't to pack on more muscle but the preserve the muscle you already have.
Keep lifting, but focus on your diet. Your diet will determine your fat loss. Don't worry about becoming too muscular; long story short, it won't happen.

Bingo. Keep lifting to preserve current muscle, focus on diet to lose fat. You won't get swole on a calorie deficit - it isn't biologically possible.

I'm in a similar position. I know I should be eating at a good deficit most days (especially rest days) but I like food far too much, so it's not always straightforward.

Nevertheless I've lost some body fat while simultaneously getting stronger and faster, over the last couple of weeks/months (although the progress has been gradual due to mindless overeating, lol) Mainly to do this, I've been counting calories and avoiding grains and sugar which make me hungry and crazy and are pretty low in nutritional value. I've also started cycling carbs and fat but my brain is beginning to get overloaded so I think one thing might have to go: either calorie counting or tracking grams of fat/protein/carbs! Not sure which I'd kick, though.

I believe it is true that running and other cardio do burn off calories and thus help weight loss but it's often less than you think. If you're anything like me, that kind of exercise gives you an appetite its hard to quench. Still good for overall fitness of course. But weight loss really does seem to be almost 100% about diet. I run a lot and I still very easily gain weight if I take my eye off the diet ball even for a few days.

I'm not an expert, but I know that when I can follow my own advice for an extended amount of time (rare) I get results. (The trick will be figuring out how to get myself to be consistent! I have moments when my brain seems to shut off and forgets everything I've decided to stick to, and then five minutes later I'm kicking myself.) If I were you, I'd figure out how many calories I burn a day, try to come in just under it on workout days then aim for a good portion below on rest days. You know better what your lifestyle fits, so basically just work out what deficit you want and then spread it out however you want over the week. The simple fact is you have to eat less than you're burning off to lose weight, there isn't any other way. And yes, if you're in a real deficit, you won't gain any muscle but strength training will help maintain plus burn some more fat.

This is my current take on the subject, anyway, though do remember I'm no expert and I haven't even got all the answers for myself yet let alone anyone else =) good luck!

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

One more question - Is just body weight okay?

I am not strong enough to go much beyond 15 lb dumbells, plus I am scared of the big guys at the gym *gasp!*

Heavy lifting is relative. Heavy for you might be 15 lbs. For someone else it might be 5 lbs. For another it might be 25 lbs. Doesn't matter. Pick a weight that is difficult to do 5-8 reps with and work your way up.

Don't be scared of the big guys at the gym either, they're usually more worried about their own workouts than you.

Good luck!

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

One more question - Is just body weight okay?

I am not strong enough to go much beyond 15 lb dumbells, plus I am scared of the big guys at the gym *gasp!*

.....was your first point not that you were already pretty muscular? LOL

The rabbit hole goes deep with bodyweight, it covers the gamut from super easy to very advanced.

A basic circuit of pullups, pushups, and squats covers all the basics and will work every muscle in the body to a degree. Add in some planks, handstands, and bridges to fill in the gaps and you've got yourself a fine full body workout.

As exercises get easy work up to harder variants. If any are too hard to do, do easier variants (such as chair assist pullups and knee pushups) to work up to the main exercise.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Bodyweight exercises rock. Like Waldo said, you can make them as hard as you want them to be. If you want a program to follow, I found "New Rules of Lifting for Women" to be helpful when working on weight training. It really helped take the fear of the "men's side of the gym" out of the way. They also give you diet recommendations, and let you choose maintainance/growth and fat loss. I also liked Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred when I was losing baby weight after my first. It's a combo of light-ish weights - I used 5lbs, cardio, and ab work (and only 25 minutes a day). I have similar stats to you, and got down to 130 doing this with calorie deficit.

If thats the case you might be overestimating the amount of muscle you already have.

You may be right. Maybe I should post pictures of myself doing gun show, and you guys can tell me if I am muscular or not.

I also liked Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred when I was losing baby weight after my first. It's a combo of light-ish weights - I used 5lbs, cardio, and ab work (and only 25 minutes a day). I have similar stats to you, and got down to 130 doing this with calorie deficit.

Your story is encouraging! I have done 30DS before, I am thinking of following steve's bodyweight circuit for the month of June. I really REALLY need to drop weight. The need has become urgent as of today afternoon - my dance teacher invited me to perform with her on stage in August. I have not been dancing for 2 years, I haven't been on stage for about the same. :o

Human Adventurer
First completed challenge| my paleo experience
Never underestimate the power of Momentum.
Believe in action. Not in the consequence of it.

You may be right. Maybe I should post pictures of myself doing gun show, and you guys can tell me if I am muscular or not.

Your story is encouraging! I have done 30DS before, I am thinking of following steve's bodyweight circuit for the month of June. I really REALLY need to drop weight. The need has become urgent as of today afternoon - my dance teacher invited me to perform with her on stage in August. I have not been dancing for 2 years, I haven't been on stage for about the same. :o

Consistent caloric deficit with adequate protein (1 gram per lb lean body mass as a starting point) and fat (0.35 grams per lb total body weight as a starting point).

Smart strength training program (this could be bodyweight stuff, iron stuff, whatever, just a plan that targets your whole body and isn't dumb)

Some cardio

That's all you need.

I'd link to bodyrecomposition.com but the site appears to be down at the moment. Check out his articles on fat loss for more information. It's a very good resource.

EDIT: Here you go

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Really there's no accurate way to tell unless you get a DEXA scan. My suggestion is forget how much muscle you think you have and concentrate on shedding the layer of fat hidding them. This will mostly be the byproduct of what and how much you eat. In addition to that lift something heavy, wether it be a barbell or your body.

Archived