Forums are back in action! ×

Catspaw Q&A podcast / vlog: would you listen?

catspaw

I've been giving some thought to maybe doing a weekly podcast or vlog where I answer folks' questions about nutrition, fitness, what supplements you should take to avoid a hangover, how to run 20 miles without getting bored, what's the difference between fructose and glucose, why bone broth is good for you, etc etc.

It seems like it would be really fun to do, but then I keep thinking "yeah but you already answer these questions on the forum -- why does it need to be in podcast / vlog form?"

So I thought I'd reach out for help. What would make this useful enough that you'd consider tuning in?

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Sounds great! All of your topics sound interesting.

You may have answered many questions, but with a vlog, it'd be the one-stop, go-to source for catspaw knowledge. It's also another way to take in info, being more audible than just text.

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

I'm probably one of the few to say this.. but nope. I strongly dislike receiving my information in an audio-visual format. I only ever listened to one podcast (BSG!) but that was short lived. I rarely watch videos (unless it's short form critique videos). I skip video news articles, etc. My preference is 100% written (well, typed) word.

But could I possibly discourage you from making your brilliance more widely available to the masses? Of course not! You have many gifts and the generosity to share them. I just hope some of it would remain written (for purely selfish reasons, I admit). :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I'm probably one of the few to say this.. but nope. I strongly dislike receiving my information in an audio-visual format. I only ever listened to one podcast (BSG!) but that was short lived. I rarely watch videos (unless it's short form critique videos). I skip video news articles, etc. My preference is 100% written (well, typed) word.

But could I possibly discourage you from making your brilliance more widely available to the masses? Of course not! You have many gifts and the generosity to share them. I just hope some of it would remain written (for purely selfish reasons, I admit). :)

This -- maybe it's generational, but I prefer the written word (plus, I do most of my information-gathering while I'm at work and it's pretty obvious that I'm not working if I have the sound on). I find it much easier to skim something written and get the gist of it than to go quickly through a podcast or vlog to learn from it.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

You guys are all nuts. This is a fountain of knowledge willing to share with the group and you say 'thanks but no thanks'...'i prefer to read'??? Give me a break! I'll take my information any way i can get it. read, watch, listen...whatever.

catspaw, please do this!!! sheesh...

This -- maybe it's generational, but I prefer the written word (plus, I do most of my information-gathering while I'm at work and it's pretty obvious that I'm not working if I have the sound on). I find it much easier to skim something written and get the gist of it than to go quickly through a podcast or vlog to learn from it.

This and This. Particularly the work thing. Even at home, sound draws the attention of the children, so I tend to do everything quiet like a mouse!

Love that you've got a passion for this though. You are awesome :)

WarriorAmy
{Insert motivational script here}
STR - 4|DEX - 2|STA - 6|CON - 4 |WIS - 6|CHA- 5

I tend to listen more than watch - so I'd probably listen, but the video would probably end up in the background for me.

That said, I prefer shorter podcasts. I don't like 1-hour chunks - or if they're 1-hour chunks, I strongly prefer a "table of contents" with times in the podcast description, so that I can skip to the topic that interests me. I like shorter bits, focused on specific topics - I rarely listen to whole, long podcasts uninterrupted.

I hope the above doesn't come across as too discouraging - I actually listen to podcasts fairly often, but it's usually in bits and pieces, and frequently in the background while I'm doing something else on the computer. But that's just the way I personally use podcasts. Others may be different.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

You guys are all nuts. This is a fountain of knowledge willing to share with the group and you say 'thanks but no thanks'...'i prefer to read'??? Give me a break! I'll take my information any way i can get it. read, watch, listen...whatever.

catspaw, please do this!!! sheesh...

No one said 'thanks but no thanks'...catspaw asked about a specific format, and our opinions, and others have bravely stepped up and said yes, they love catspaw and her informational excellence, but they just aren't interested in the format she asked about, but please go ahead and do it for others.

Catspaw, I think you're very awesome and I adore reading everything you post about here, I would subscribe to a blog if you had one, or an e-mail newsletter if you sent one out, but I'm also in the 'no podcast/videos' camp. It's just the way we learn, for those of us who don't care for that format.

There are actually many blogs that I read that do podcasts/videos, and I always choose to read the written transcript, because the information doesn't seem to compute through audio/visual media for me.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Honestly, as long as you manage to present the information in an interesting and/or unique way (give 'er some catspaw FLAIR), I'll probably watch it, regardless of how familiar I already am with the info :)

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Catspaw, I have the biggest brocrush on you, for all the awesome you contribute to the forum. Just sayin'.

But I'm also in the written word camp because it makes it easier when you want to revisit the info, since you can just go back to the post. With a vlog/podcast, it's a little more tricky, especially if you're looking for a specific tip and gotta go picking through the soundbyte.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Archived