Forums are back in action! ×

Tired of Getting Burned

This is my first post on Nerd Fitness, so I'll give a little backround on myself. Im a police officer in Texas, and like alot of my fellow officers, I'm overweight. I've put on about 40 pounds over the past 4 years, and although I've tried numerous times to get back into shape, all my attempts have ultimately failed. At the beginning of this year I vowed that I was finally going to get in shape this year, so I bought a pull-up bar, a 400lbs weight set and some kettle bells. I saw some results, but I lacked direction and accountability, and my diet was still crap.

The turning point was about 4 weeks ago. I counducted a traffic stop, and when the vehicle stopped, the driver took off running and absolutely SMOKED me. I found out later that he had several felony warrants. I was kicking myself all night, so I decided that it was time to put a concrete plan for getting in shape in place and actually set some goals for myself. One of my goals was to do a full pull-up, so I searched Google for how to do one, and it directed me to Steve's article on Nerd Fitness. I loved the writing style, and was immediately hooked. I think I read every article on the site that night. Since then I've been following the site religiously, reading and re-reading all of the articles. While the informative ones are great, the inspirational ones really got me going.

So here's how it's gone since then: I started cleaning up my diet (Paleo plus potatoes and brown rice- baby steps!), and I've got a concrete workout schedule (Weight Training 3 times a week, Running 4-5 times a week). The results have been awesome. I've lost 12 lbs( 220lbs to 208lbs), shaved 1.5 MINUTES off my mile run time and I'm seeing alot more muscle definition. Still working on that pull-up!

This seems like a very tight knit community, and I can't wait to get involved!

Welcome to the Rebellion Officer Bacon! As you have found out already, you will get ALOT of good info from Steve's blog posts, plus great links to other good information to help you level up. What are you doing to get that pull up? Great job on the improvement thus far! Again, welcome to the Rebellion.

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus 

Thanks for the welcome, I'm doing inverted body weight rows and negative pull ups.

Very nice! You'll get there, just keep it up! To supplement after a workout, you might want to try doing "flex hangs" (holding yourself above the bar for a ten-second count) and then do a slow negative on the way down. Also, try some "dead hangs" for a ten-second count as well. Might help. :)

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus 

Archived